Toronto Wolfpack 2023 fixtures

32 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

So they are outside of the authority of any governing body?

I wonder how that works in terms of match officials, protocols, insurance, disciplinary, etc.

Probably don't need to worry about that. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are the teams they are playing RL teams? What's their pedigree? 

Have TWP got any players? 

The USARL teams have been around a fair few years now. DC Cavalry have just played their first game in the RLU. Whistler Wolves play in the BCRL. The Jamaican Hurricanes were first mooted years ago as being a possible entry into the USARL. I’m not sure they have ever actually played a game before. At this moment in time TWP haven’t indicated who or where their players are.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

The USARL teams have been around a fair few years now. DC Cavalry have just played their first game in the RLU. Whistler Wolves play in the BCRL. The Jamaican Hurricanes were first mooted years ago as being a possible entry into the USARL. I’m not sure they have ever actually played a game before. At this moment in time TWP haven’t indicated who or where their players are.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/toronto-wolfpack-confirm-2023-return-with-nine-fixtures-announced-at-lamport-stadium?fbclid=IwAR3Gis0ao-pFnPWiKuVC4C9qD52VKJP82PsAxLOQ8ENHp9qAPwUYxvfMTZM

Don't want to pour cold water on this but no one knows who owns or runs the Wolfpack. They are anonymous and have hardly made any comms over the last couple of years. It is just a few weeks away and they have no team and haven't trained and yet they want people to part with their money. Be very wary before buying tickets or merch. 

Canadian fans deserve better. 

• Like 1

TWP continues to be a bizarre set of circumstances, a reasonably credible list of teams announced to play against but minimal public communications and zero information on TWP themselves - owners, players, future strategy. They don't seem to talk to the other local club, Toronto Saints, either. Even calling this the Canadian Cup is weird, it's really just a set of friendlies. If I was a fan, lived in the city and looking to attend, I'd be paying on the day and not buying a ticket in advance.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

TWP continues to be a bizarre set of circumstances, a reasonably credible list of teams announced to play against but minimal public communications and zero information on TWP themselves - owners, players, future strategy. They don't seem to talk to the other local club, Toronto Saints, either. Even calling this the Canadian Cup is weird, it's really just a set of friendlies. If I was a fan, lived in the city and looking to attend, I'd be paying on the day and not buying a ticket in advance.

All very weird indeed. And yes I'd highly recommend no one parts with their cash up front. 

It's the anonymous nature of the Wolfpack that's a problem. I suspect the owners are not even based in Canada. 

• Like 1

Such a shame to see a team in a major city that were breaking record levels of attendance in the Championship before they were VOTED out of existence now unable to participate in meaningful games, and therefore unable now to help provide the desperately needed expansion of the sport with it's knock on benefits to all existing teams, with the increased glamour and media attention that they did and would again have provided looking to a better future.  But hey ho, let's look at a few quid lost next year instead of a sport dying in the next 5, 10, 15 years.

Edited by Hello
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hello said:

Such a shame to see a team in a major city that were breaking record levels of attendance in the Championship before they were VOTED out of existence now unable to participate in meaningful games, and therefore unable now to help provide the desperately needed expansion of the sport with it's knock on benefits to all existing teams, with the increased glamour and media attention that they did and would again have provided looking to a better future.  But hey ho, let's look at a few quid lost next year instead of a sport dying in the next 5, 10, 15 years.

There's a whole sub-forum on here, full of discussion about the rights and wrongs of what happened to Toronto Wolfpack in the past.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/500-toronto-wolfpack/

Please use this thread to discuss what's happening in the future (good or bad) rather than turning it into another discussion that's already been done to death and can be still continued elsewhere on TRL.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2023 at 07:25, Whippet13 said:

A man called Garry Sloane has been mentioned on Twitter recently by a Canada based member. I can only assume he’s the owner.

On 22/06/2023 at 14:08, John Drake said:

There's a whole sub-forum on here, full of discussion about the rights and wrongs of what happened to Toronto Wolfpack in the past.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/500-toronto-wolfpack/

Please use this thread to discuss what's happening in the future (good or bad) rather than turning it into another discussion that's already been done to death and can be still continued elsewhere on TRL.

Thanks.

Ok John, point taken.  I would say that a lot of threads go off on tangents and please can I point out that I thought that it was ok to post what I did in a Toronto thread. Thank you 

Edited by Hello

Ambitious fixture list for a team that has been relatively dormant for the last few years, hopefully the opposition is aware of their commitments in Toronto on the respective weekends.

I'm hopeful we can see Toronto running around again in some capacity, though I have very little confidence that more than maybe 1 or 2 of these matches taking place.  I'll be happy to be wrong though. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com