Bev Risman

Dual-code international Bev Risman OBE has died at the age of 85, former club Leeds Rhinos have confirmed.

Risman was a Lions tourist and played for England in union before following Welsh father Gus in taking up league.

He was Great Britain captain at the 1968 league World Cup, and played for Leigh and Leeds, winning the Challenge Cup and Championship with the latter.

After injury stopped him playing, Bev spent time as a coach, and received an OBE in the 2012 New Year Honours.

Rugby League - BBC Sport

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Dual-code international Bev Risman OBE has died at the age of 85, former club Leeds Rhinos have confirmed.

Risman was a Lions tourist and played for England in union before following Welsh father Gus in taking up league.

He was Great Britain captain at the 1968 league World Cup, and played for Leigh and Leeds, winning the Challenge Cup and Championship with the latter.

After injury stopped him playing, Bev spent time as a coach, and received an OBE in the 2012 New Year Honours.

Rugby League - BBC Sport

Cannot believe Bev was 85 havant seem him for a few years but was a regular at Fulham/Broncos around 20 years ago.

I remember a pre season Broncos v Swinton match late 90,s that was played on the private boarding school pitch in Surrey where he was a teacher.

RIP Bev

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm proud to boast that I worked with him. What a great man, a true gentleman and a good friend and mentor. 

• Like 4

Was sorting through some of my old memorabilia the other week. Found an old programme from my union days. Playing against West London Institute RUFC. ( Huge Rugby Union alumni). Opposing Coach was Bev Risman. Thinking, back in the early 80’s how did he get that gig with the RFU’s stance re. Rugby League ??

RIP Bev.