Jump to content

Paul Sykes 1000 points for Dewsbury


Recommended Posts

At the age of 41, Paul Sykes has reached 1,000 points for the Rams. Scored a try, kicked 4/4 goals and took MoM as Dewsbury beat Oldham 20-8 last night. He kicked 7/7, scored a try and took MoM last week as well.

Over 500 appearances and 2,500 points since his debut for Bradford in 1999.

  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have very fond memories of Sykes playing for London for many years - A great player, who I am always astonished when I still see him playing all these years later. 

Has anyone played longer in the "professional" game then Sykes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imagining the commentary if Ray French was still doing it.

Ray: Ooh, great work from Sykes, there - I remember his dad was quite a star at Bradford back in the Nineties.

Co-commentator (quietly): Same bloke Ray, it's the same bloke.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Click said:

I have very fond memories of Sykes playing for London for many years - A great player, who I am always astonished when I still see him playing all these years later. 

Has anyone played longer in the "professional" game then Sykes?

Stanley Gene ? .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Click said:

Has anyone played longer in the "professional" game then Sykes?

Depends on what you call the professional game, but Paul Sykes made his debut for Bradford in 1999 and hasn't retired yet.

Jeff Grayshon's debut was in 1970 and his final match was in 1995. 

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/06/2023 at 16:20, Click said:

I have very fond memories of Sykes playing for London for many years - A great player, who I am always astonished when I still see him playing all these years later. 

Has anyone played longer in the "professional" game then Sykes?

Neil Fox played in four decades, fifties, sixties, seventies and eighties. Not sure how long he played in total.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

Neil Fox played in four decades, fifties, sixties, seventies and eighties. Not sure how long he played in total.

Wiki has him from 56-79 which would be 23 years who did he play for in the 80s. Sykes I think is 24 years. I seem to remember Geoff Grayshon playing into his 40s. 

Edited by bobbruce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 No where near his best with his short spell with Fev some of his long passes went straight into touch.But playing on to a good standard at his age and not just for the money has won me over.Saw him a couple of times last season and his effort and organisation skills were invaluable.Long time retired so play as long as the body allows then you will have memories to look back on after retirement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Wiki has him from 56-79 which would be 23 years who did he play for in the 80s. Sykes I think is 24 years. I seem to remember Geoff Grayshon playing into his 40s. 

My guess is maybe that refers to the seasons? In which, being a winter season it would have run 1979-80. Just a guess, might be wrong.

 

Sykes has been an incredible player, not a Neil Fox obviously, but pretty damn good all the same.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/06/2023 at 18:30, Futtocks said:

Depends on what you call the professional game, but Paul Sykes made his debut for Bradford in 1999 and hasn't retired yet.

Jeff Grayshon's debut was in 1970 and his final match was in 1995. 

Wasn't there a Cas player who played in his early/mid 40s a few years ago for the odd game? Granted he might have come out of retirement but I seem to remember someone like that - might take a Cas fan to correct me on that one in fairness though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/06/2023 at 14:20, Wakefield Ram said:

At the age of 41, Paul Sykes has reached 1,000 points for the Rams. Scored a try, kicked 4/4 goals and took MoM as Dewsbury beat Oldham 20-8 last night. He kicked 7/7, scored a try and took MoM last week as well.

Over 500 appearances and 2,500 points since his debut for Bradford in 1999.

should be given the freedom of Dewsbury. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.