Giving up /reducing booze ....

26 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Nowt since some time in September. I'm not missing it but I know if I bought some, I'd still have all of it in a short space of time. All or nothing, me.

It should also be noted for balance that everything else is rubbish. It would be much more advantageous if everything else was better and there was a small amount of good quality alcoholic beverages.

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

Nah, I'm still really, really fat and lazy and I'm wasting my money on other things instead! 😬

Get your ###### together then. Loads of support on here if needed.

Or not, don't stress about it. If you want to be more active etc, then couch to 5k or get in the gym before the new year rush. If you don't want to, then accept that and review it again later.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

12 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Get your ###### together then. Loads of support on here if needed.

Or not, don't stress about it. If you want to be more active etc, then couch to 5k or get in the gym before the new year rush. If you don't want to, then accept that and review it again later.

Good advice. The single most important thing about doing something like getting fit or stopping drinking is wanting to do it, not thinking that you shouldn't do it or looking at others and what they are doing. 

If @hindle xiii doesn't want to get fit *at the moment*, then no big deal. But when he does, he'll know and generally it will fall into place. I know, I was that soldier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Masked Poster said:

Good advice. The single most important thing about doing something like getting fit or stopping drinking is wanting to do it, not thinking that you shouldn't do it or looking at others and what they are doing. 

If @hindle xiii doesn't want to get fit *at the moment*, then no big deal. But when he does, he'll know and generally it will fall into place. I know, I was that soldier. 

Doing something is better than nothing.  Starts with the step out of the door or the step into another room to do it.

Two key points I’ve followed for some time is 1) to write it down or use another form of recording to look at/see what I’ve  achieved. 2) get a mate involved as well (m/f)

• Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 20:48, hindle xiii said:

Nowt since some time in September. I'm not missing it but I know if I bought some, I'd still have all of it in a short space of time. All or nothing, me.

I have a tendency to be the same in some things but having a strict limit of number of beers working for me currently 

• 4 weeks later...

I can't decide if the alcohol hidden within the food at Christmas time counts. Granted I have read it is haram and it's a common myth all the alcohol burns away in cookery. But then I see some tee total personalities include alcohol as an ingredient within sauces or gravy or in the dried fruits for a Christmas pudding and mincemeat for mince pies and Christmas cake.

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

I can't decide if the alcohol hidden within the food at Christmas time counts. Granted I have read it is haram and it's a common myth all the alcohol burns away in cookery. But then I see some tee total personalities include alcohol as an ingredient within sauces or gravy or in the dried fruits for a Christmas pudding and mincemeat for mince pies and Christmas cake.

I think the taste of the booze stays but not the booze (bread has alcohol on it until baked!)

Currently been 'okay' on staying to schedule though predictably I've had more than the 2 days a week of 3/4 cans in December  (Have drank equivalent of about 4 pints the last 3 days) 

Having nothing today but a few Xmas day and Boxing day I think 

• Like 1

I’ve been driving family members around in the last 48 hours so have become relatively well versed on trying the odd bottle 0% lager/beer to break up the boredom of tea and other soft drinks.

So far:

Erdinger 0.5%

Corona 0%

Becks 0%

I preferred Erdinger to Becks and Corona zero to both.

Going to experiment with Guinness (skimmed) on Boxing Day.

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve been driving family members around in the last 48 hours so have become relatively well versed on trying the odd bottle 0% lager/beer to break up the boredom of tea and other soft drinks.

So far:

Erdinger 0.5%

Corona 0%

Becks 0%

I preferred Erdinger to Becks and Corona zero to both.

Going to experiment with Guinness (skimmed) on Boxing Day.

Earlier in the thread I said I felt Erdinger is nice because it's a wheat beer at heart, so it's already coming from a different angle.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2023 at 15:15, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think the taste of the booze stays but not the booze (bread has alcohol on it until baked!)

Currently been 'okay' on staying to schedule though predictably I've had more than the 2 days a week of 3/4 cans in December  (Have drank equivalent of about 4 pints the last 3 days) 

Having nothing today but a few Xmas day and Boxing day I think 

Ended up for drinking about 4 beers every day from Boxing day to 31st....not great 

Had two days off....now hoping to restart the  routine of 3/4 beer Saturdays and 2 beer Sundays 

On 30/12/2023 at 18:40, JohnM said:

I've a bottle of 35year old Bells whisky in a cupboard here.

When I tidied up our drinks cupboard in the late autumn, I was reminded that I had four bottles of beer, all over 40 years old!  I don't plan to open them and drink the beer, but they are interesting mementos.  Sadly, two of the brewers - the brilliant Lancaster duo of Mitchell's and Yates & Jackson - have long gone.

PSA:

Erdinger low alcohol is on sale at Weatherspoons at the mo .. £1.49 ish 

It's also on the club card at Tesco's at £1.25.

Been out today so picked up four for tonight to ease me into tomorrow.

• Like 2
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

As a result of several boozy trips to Prague over 20 years ago, I ended up with two bottles of Becherovka. Somehow it didn't taste the same once I'd got it back home. ......so I gave it away to a mate ....well, hid it in his drinks cupboard. Same with a bottle of Aveze, a repulsive and emetic liqueur based on gentian. 😄😄😄

17 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ended up for drinking about 4 beers every day from Boxing day to 31st....not great 

Had two days off....now hoping to restart the  routine of 3/4 beer Saturdays and 2 beer Sundays 

Me and the girlfriend have been drinking maybe 8 beers a day since mid November when her father was taken ill (he died 25th November).  First day off was Saturday 30th.  Large session on new year and now for dry January again.