Rochdale on sunday

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Tony Kay is right up there . Just watching old videos youre reminded how good he was

I played against Craig Stalker one day and his ability to change direction at speed was an eye opener for somebody like me. I only saw one centre outplay TK and his name was Paul Newlove !

54 minutes ago, Town utd said:

Paul burns was the best all round center

Beat me to it, an outstanding centre come 2nd rower, quite under rated at times I think.

Still one of the funniest things I remember from that era was him apologising to a Keighley player after throwing him a huge dummy that he took.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WTRLFC WEBSITE said:

Sorry to bring it back to the thread, although great to reminisce about quality centres! 

Our attendance was 1395, not 1337 as originally declared. 

Great support, let's do it again v Doncaster in 3 weeks time! 

UTT 

A couple of away wins at Crusaders and Cornwall would would certainly make for a good crowd against Donny. 👌💙

• Like 2

Great atmosphere on Sunday, and in the past a couple of pints at the most, and the lads I stand with would have moved on. Though on Sunday we were all still there  late  on to spend money which can only be good for the club, and the thing I noticed were old faces who haven't been down for years, ( UTT ) 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, WTRLFC WEBSITE said:

Sorry to bring it back to the thread, although great to reminisce about quality centres! 

Our attendance was 1395, not 1337 as originally declareed. 7

Great support, let's do it again v Doncaster in 3 weeks time! 

UTT 

Well even better and as Mr Unicorn says there's nothing like a sunny day anThe bod ad a run of wins to tempt long lost townies back.

The BOD have worked wonders this season with events  sponsors and trying to keep the stadium and its facilities in use for far more that this leagues 9 home gates would normally bring. This is not lost on the local populous who are desperate to have a feel good factor in these difficult economic times.

The decision to offer entry for a fiver to boost the crowd for the ladies match is to be applauded by us all.

Once again well done bod and volunteers for your hard work and glad the results are been seen by community support through the gates and over the bars I am sure.

UTT

• Like 7

On 10/07/2023 at 13:56, Onreport said:

Even Ken needed a Paddy to open gaps for him

Operated on different sides of the field , one right centre the other left centre , i think usually the plan was to get it to Kenny whenever they could and let him make his own gaps by simply blasting through...............no one still compares to Ian Wright though , but my late Father was all for Eppie Gibson .

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Operated on different sides of the field , one right centre the other left centre , i think usually the plan was to get it to Kenny whenever they could and let him make his own gaps by simply blasting through...............no one still compares to Ian Wright though , but my late Father was all for Eppie Gibson .

All about opinions mate and am well aware which position they played but if you watched closely it was Paddy making a lot of the gaps the gaps for Ken to run through.

No doubt Ian was a class finisher but hard to say who has been the best, Jim Crellin,  Ecky Bell, Tony Kay, Kieran O'Loughlin were all class acts and if you want to go back to Eppies days what about Tony Paskins, the list goes on and on, impossible to say who was the best, all different eras with widely differing circumstances for example the  pace of the game today is unrecognisable to those days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Onreport said:

All about opinions mate and am well aware which position they played but if you watched closely it was Paddy making a lot of the gaps the gaps for Ken to run through.

No doubt Ian was a class finisher but hard to say who has been the best, Jim Crellin,  Ecky Bell, Tony Kay, Kieran O'Loughlin were all class acts and if you want to go back to Eppies days what about Tony Paskins, the list goes on and on, impossible to say who was the best, all different eras with widely differing circumstances for example the  pace of the game today is unrecognisable to those days.

You could throw Johnny Jones into the mix as well, pace to burn and knew where the tryline was.

I remember once having a crack with Ike and he said the best centre he ever played with at Town was Bill Wookey.

Edited by Derwent
  • Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

20 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Loppy O'Neil was a good un