Postcode Lottery - who’s going down?

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Controversially as a Leigh Fan, I would love the Giants to win at Catalan, we have come so close twice this term and The Giants "reputedly" have better player's than Leigh, haven't they?

Doesn't play out that way, Warrington have beaten cats twice in France this season even on this run of terrible form, I fully expect Catalan to win even if they play bad, they must be favourites for the LLS.

2 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Personally I think we've left ourselves too much to do, yes it's only 2 point and we've had an upturn in form from absolutely nowhere, but that can desert us just as quickly as it arrived. The main thing is we have hope where there was none. 

I’m with you mate, classic Trin beating the top of the league & then losing the following week to bottom of the table. I’m never confident going to Huddersfield, regardless of league position.

5 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

We have Catalans at the top, playing great rugby, and the newly promoted club miraculously in 2nd, led by the most extravagant loon of an owner and dressed head-to-toe in leopard print. The World Club Champions, who battered a Penrith Panthers side that have dominated the NRL for years, have finally found form and are chasing them both down. 

If that's what you call a borefest I think you might be watching the wrong sport. Maybe take up WWE or something? 🤣

Fact is bottom goes down. Top wins nowt. Every point matters at the bottom 

• Thanks 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Huddersfield for me

Huddersfield would be an intersting one if it were to happen as most people see to presume that Wakey or Cas would likely just miss out on returning to SL if they were to lose their central funding this season but Huddersfield you would imagine would be closer to a Cat A team than they were to the closest Cat B team in the Championship.

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Doesn't play out that way, Warrington have beaten cats twice in France this season even on this run of terrible form, I fully expect Catalan to win even if they play bad, they must be favourites for the LLS.

Well Cat's have to go to Saints yet and don't smirk also to Leigh, granted they must be favourites with the points already on the board but it ain't over with just yet.

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well Cat's have to go to Saints yet and don't smirk also to Leigh, granted they must be favourites with the points already on the board but it ain't over with just yet.

Never smirking, they will lose games but have a decent squad that will(in my opinion get them through enough games). The Saints game is interesting with the semi the week after. Could be the best time to play Saints. Come the playoffs it's a new competition and fit squads and form will be important.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Let's hope they beat them Harry , I'll happily settle for second 😂

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Huddersfield would be an intersting one if it were to happen as most people see to presume that Wakey or Cas would likely just miss out on returning to SL if they were to lose their central funding this season but Huddersfield you would imagine would be closer to a Cat A team than they were to the closest Cat B team in the Championship.

That’s where the flaw in introduction of IMG criteria is.  Fev are the best team in the championship and baring a major upset will be promoted.  If the relegated side has a potentially better IMG score they’d have one season in SL and be replaced.  So how would they play it. Go for broke spend spend spend on players try and finish as high as possible or keep same squad and spend on other IMG criteria to get a higher IMG score as possible without bankrupting the club.  To answer the original thread, what about the no relegation rumour that’s been doing the rounds, which could be the way of introducing the IMG criteria as smoothly as possible.  It’s all fun.

13 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

That’s where the flaw in introduction of IMG criteria is.  Fev are the best team in the championship and baring a major upset will be promoted.  If the relegated side has a potentially better IMG score they’d have one season in SL and be replaced.  So how would they play it. Go for broke spend spend spend on players try and finish as high as possible or keep same squad and spend on other IMG criteria to get a higher IMG score as possible without bankrupting the club.  To answer the original thread, what about the no relegation rumour that’s been doing the rounds, which could be the way of introducing the IMG criteria as smoothly as possible.  It’s all fun.

Thats the problem and I have posted my thoughts on it elsewhere. To me it makes sense for the promoted club to stay part time and bring in a few extra of the best part time players so they will compete in games rather than bring in the worst full time players and likely get flogged every week. Realistically their on field performance will have so little baring over their score and they would be better preparing for the following season once they know their grading and spending the extra central funding on other areas of scoring. The last thing a promoted team needs would be to go full time only to find they lose their SL spot the following season and will have to revert to part time with the cut in funding.

2 hours ago, DEANO said:

Fact is bottom goes down. Top wins nowt. Every point matters at the bottom 

Top wins the League Leaders Shield. My team haven't come top of the league since 1985, I'd be quite excited if it was possible. I'd even be quite excited if it was possible for Leigh. 

Relegation battles in a challenger sport like rugby league, where you fall off a cliff if you're relegated, are not enjoyable. If we'd beaten Salford in the "million pound game" I'm not even sure if that club would still exist. That's not what sport's about for me. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Top wins the League Leaders Shield. My team haven't come top of the league since 1985, I'd be quite excited if it was possible. I'd even be quite excited if it was possible for Leigh. 

Relegation battles in a challenger sport like rugby league, where you fall off a cliff if you're relegated, are not enjoyable. If we'd beaten Salford in the "million pound game" I'm not even sure if that club would still exist. That's not what sport's about for me. 

Yet that is what pulls the viewers in. Bit of catch 22 but a relegation battle like the one we saw that year was epic and made for great drama for the neutrals.

49 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Thats the problem and I have posted my thoughts on it elsewhere. To me it makes sense for the promoted club to stay part time and bring in a few extra of the best part time players so they will compete in games rather than bring in the worst full time players and likely get flogged every week. Realistically their on field performance will have so little baring over their score and they would be better preparing for the following season once they know their grading and spending the extra central funding on other areas of scoring. The last thing a promoted team needs would be to go full time only to find they lose their SL spot the following season and will have to revert to part time with the cut in funding.

No part time team should be allowed in Super League. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

If ya good enough you go back up

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

50 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Sport is about on field performance getting the better of your contemporaries by gaining more points on the league ladder and not finishing bottom Bronco, it is up to the management of the club to ensure their team is not the one relegated, as a Leigh fan for 60 years I am very aware what relegation means but I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sport is about on field performance getting the better of your contemporaries by gaining more points on the league ladder and not finishing bottom Bronco, it is up to the management of the club to ensure their team is not the one relegated, as a Leigh fan for 60 years I am very aware what relegation means but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cool, that's your opinion. I don't share it. The NRL doesn't need relegation for sporting drama, in order to make it about on field performance and getting the better of your contemporaries. Neither does almost every other professional sports league on earth, outside of football (which dominates in most markets and can afford it, so is an exception). Interestingly when football is a challenger sport, even that often has a closed league too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

24 minutes ago, DEANO said:

If ya good enough you go back up

Nah, if you happen to have an owner prepared to lose £1m the next season, you go back up. That's not deciding promotion based on sporting endeavour, it's about who has the most money. 

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Catalans being top ahead of Leigh is boring?

Good to know.

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Some people will never be happy

As I always say, I don't think many rugby league fans actually like rugby league. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Cool, that's your opinion. I don't share it. The NRL doesn't need relegation for sporting drama, in order to make it about on field performance and getting the better of your contemporaries. Neither does almost every other professional sports league on earth, outside of football (which dominates in most markets and can afford it, so is an exception). Interestingly when football is a challenger sport, even that often has a closed league too.

Tell us something we don't know 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

If there was no relegation this year do you think we would have seen the results we have had this weekend, trinity beating leeds and huddersfield winning at Catalans? No, those teams would have been coasting with nothing to play for.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Tell us something we don't know 

The root cause of the current status of the Ukraine conflict lies in the unique nature of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and how that countries polity of a proto-republic, with elected kings and devolved power structures, developed a culture of liberty and intellectual thought in deep contrast to the competing Muscovite Empire to its East. When the Eastern part of the Commonwealth (Ukraine) was lost to Muscovy's armies, this different culture of the Ukrainians was embedded deep, keeping alive the flame of independence that comes from believing you see the world through a different lense to your occupier.

Russian lack of self-awareness of the distinction meant that they misread modern Ukraine's politicians' desire to "look West" as simply its upper elites acting out of self-interest, or perhaps being manipulated by the West, and instead believed the Ukrainian people themselves wished to return to the fold of a Greater Rus. This mistaken perception met with reality, in a brick wall of Ukrainian defence to the north of Kyiv, preventing the "3 days quick war" plan from succeeding. When push comes to shove, culture eats strategy - and even superior weight of arms - for breakfast. 

Will that do? 🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

If there was no relegation this year do you think we would have seen the results we have had this weekend, trinity beating leeds and huddersfield winning at Catalans? No, those teams would have been coasting with nothing to play for.

They don't coast in the NRL. Bottom-dwellers start planning their rebuild, to do better the next year, often introducing youth in the process. The NRL has a far greater mix of winners over time, with more even standards across the comp. Super League can count how many winners it's had on the fingers of a Castleford fan's hand, and has seen once "big" clubs serially almost go to the wall. Go figure eh? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

The root cause of the current status of the Ukraine conflict lies in the unique nature of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and how that countries polity of a proto-republic, with elected kings and devolved power structures, developed a culture of liberty and intellectual thought in deep contrast to the competing Muscovite Empire to its East. When the Eastern part of the Commonwealth (Ukraine) was lost to Muscovy's armies, this different culture of the Ukrainians was embedded deep, keeping alive the flame of independence that comes from believing you see the world through a different lense to your occupier.

Russian lack of self-awareness of the distinction meant that they misread modern Ukraine's politicians' desire to "look West" as simply its upper elites acting out of self-interest, or perhaps being manipulated by the West, and instead believed the Ukrainian people themselves wished to return to the fold of a Greater Rus. This mistaken perception met with reality, in a brick wall of Ukrainian defence to the north of Kyiv, preventing the "3 days quick war" plan from succeeding. When push comes to shove, culture eats strategy - and even superior weight of arms - for breakfast. 

Will that do? 🤣🤣🤣

I already knew that 

• Like 1