Fri 14th Jul: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/07/23 at 19:30

On 15/07/2023 at 10:20, Dave T said:

I think Drinkwater is what he is, he's an organiser and distributor, not much more. That's fine when you have threats running off you, but when the people around you are Walker at 6, Ratch and Matautia in the halves, it does highlight his limitations somewhat. 

I don't expect Drinkwater to do what Williams does, taking charge and getting stuck in, so I don't think he is going missing as such, I just think that's all there is to him! 

Or as I've pointed out, no support/creativity from dufty 

Currie was our best player against St Helen's.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Currie was our best player against St Helen's.

Totally agree, he has had different h/b most weeks,a make shift centre , it's no coincidence that when both he and Nicholson are playing we are better balanced and stronger defensively. And are more dangerous when Williams and Ashton are in there as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Totally agree, he has had different h/b most weeks,a make shift centre , it's no coincidence that when both he and Nicholson are playing we are better balanced and stronger defensively. And are more dangerous when Williams and Ashton are in there as well.

Yet earlier you said it was a mistake giving him a contract. 

Oops, wrong thread.

Edited by Old Frightful
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

And again.

Edited by Old Frightful
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

39 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Yet earlier you said it was a mistake giving him a contract. 

Please find a post from me saying anything negative about Currie and show me (I think you are mistaken and it is a different poster)

37 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Please find a post from me saying anything negative about Currie and show me (I think you are mistaken and it is a different poster)

Apologies I have you mixed up with Barry. 

4 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

No, not really, I hoped that would be the case after the opening game of the season, but its just not there anymore 

Currie had a very good start to the year. One of the disappointing things about him is that he never really steps up to be a leader and drag the team forward when in adversity. He is a little bit of a fair weather player, but on his day he is very very good and adds value. 

8 hours ago, Just Browny said:

It'd be more reasonable to say that the circumstances in the game meant it was better to have experienced players on the field to try to get a result in the last quarter.

It would be even better to have rotated our 17 better so Whitehead got some minutes and experience and took some strain off the rest of the team, like successful sides tend to.

It'd be even better still if we ensured we had 17 players to pick that we trusted.

Overall I'd love to know what Whitehead could have done that would have represented a lesser contribution than Gil Dudson has made all year.

Given away less penalties?

18 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Currie when Williams is playing is a different player.

Not necessarily, Williams was playing at the start of this period of 8 matches,  the pair of them have been naff, give or take the odd flash.

Someone before mentioned him being our best player vs saints, he was alright, for Ben currie, I'd have said Clark was out beat player (certainly first half) as he was against Wigan and we've had a bunch of wire fans lamenting why we're letting him go.

The reason we're letting him go and the reason we should be releasing Ben currie and not giving him a new contract is that these performances are 1 or 2 times a year now  ive been a big supporter of Ben currie, I've defended him through this period recovering and finding his feet from 2 acl reconstructions when others wanted him gone, but last year he let me down so much and if it wasn't for olly Holmes being a full on car crash of a signing, his reluctance to tackle would have been noticed a lot more.

He's not a starting sl back rower anymore.

Or he could go to leigh and play out of his skin  what do I know

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Not necessarily, Williams was playing at the start of this period of 8 matches,  the pair of them have been naff, give or take the odd flash.

Someone before mentioned him being our best player vs saints, he was alright, for Ben currie, I'd have said Clark was out beat player (certainly first half) as he was against Wigan and we've had a bunch of wire fans lamenting why we're letting him go.

The reason we're letting him go and the reason we should be releasing Ben currie and not giving him a new contract is that these performances are 1 or 2 times a year now  ive been a big supporter of Ben currie, I've defended him through this period recovering and finding his feet from 2 acl reconstructions when others wanted him gone, but last year he let me down so much and if it wasn't for olly Holmes being a full on car crash of a signing, his reluctance to tackle would have been noticed a lot more.

He's not a starting sl back rower anymore.

Or he could go to leigh and play out of his skin  what do I know

As a Leigh fan I was disappointed with some of the recruits we took from Wire, when Charnley came last season I would not have paid him with the holes in washers and no way did I want him for this season, neither was I enthusiastic with the signings of Mulhearn, Holmes, Davies and Hughes, but I have been very happy to be corrected, Charnley is probably as good as he has ever been not only in scoring tries but his game as a whole, Mulhearn has been a revelation and must be one of the 4 best props in the comp, Holmes without being spectacular has put in solid performances, Davies has been a regular useually from the bench but has provided cover in a variety of positions and done what was asked of him, and not seen enough of Hughes to make an assessment but he was the one I mostly did not want, but time will tell.

So what do we put this 'form' of these players down to, a different environment? better team spirit and camaraderie? or simply better coaching of the team and tactics as a whole, or better coaching of the individuals and making them feel wanted after the rejection from their previous coach.

Mr Lam certainly seems to be doing a better job with these player's than Mr Powell thought he could ever acheive hence not offering them further employment.

Edited by Harry Stottle

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So what do we put this 'form' of these players down to, a different environment? better team spirit and camaraderie? or simply better coaching of the team and tactics as a whole, or better coaching of the individuals and making them feel wanted after the rejection from their previous coach.

As you say, there won't be a single reason, there will be a myriad of reasons why the Leigh side as a whole and some of its players are outperforming Warrington this season and playing better than when some of the players were running out for Wire.

I guess it is the same as why there would be a myriad of reasons why Warrington have outperformed Leigh for the rest of my lifetime as a Rugby League fan.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

As you say, there won't be a single reason, there will be a myriad of reasons why the Leigh side as a whole and some of its players are outperforming Warrington this season and playing better than when some of the players were running out for Wire.

I guess it is the same as why there would be a myriad of reasons why Warrington have outperformed Leigh for the rest of my lifetime as a Rugby League fan.

Does history influence anything today? New times, new teams, new player's, new coaches?

Granted expierence can be a factor, like this coming weekend Saints have many player's with very recent 'experience' of playing in semi-finals, where as my team have maybe 4 or 5 and some not as recent as the Saints lot and especially not collectively, the same with Wigan v HKR, but what has happened for the rest of your lifetime, going back to before any of today's players performed as no relevance whatsoever.

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

You must be getting on a bit if you've seen Warrington win more league titles... 😉

In the 1970's Warrington and Widnes were the most feared teams because they were downright thugs. No one wants to go back to those days but Warrington are way too nice nowadays. There's only Gil Dudson who puts himself about. Might as well be sponsored by Andy's Man Club.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

6 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

In the 1970's Warrington and Widnes were the most feared teams because they were downright thugs. No one wants to go back to those days but Warrington are way too nice nowadays. There's only Gil Dudson who puts himself about. Might as well be sponsored by Andy's Man Club.

My phone must be broke because for a minute there I thought you said Warrington are too nice. It took me ages to put that as my phones autocorrect wouldn’t even let those words go together. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Daryl Powell should offer Liam Watts a 2-year contract and make an offer for Ebon Scurr at the Bulls. That would toughen them up and allow a bit of rotation for next year, plus instill a bit of steel for the future.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police