Lenagan to Step Down

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You need to learn to read , my post about " picking up club XYZ " was refering to Mr Danson , while him taking over Wigan is good for the game , as it gives them financial security going forward , it won't really change anything , if however he'd have picked up one of the other clubs I mentioned he could have had a very positive affect on the sport as a whole 

Reread it 

It came across as you were talking about Lenegan to me given he is in the title of this thread and you made no clear reference to Danson, apologies. 

In any case, couldn't that be said for anyone at any club? It'd be better for the sport if any of the owners invested in Bradford for example. But they don't for their own reasons, which is the nature of private investment in sport.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It came across as you were talking about Lenegan to me given he is in the title of this thread and you made no clear reference to Danson, apologies. 

In any case, couldn't that be said for anyone at any club? It'd be better for the sport if any of the owners invested in Bradford for example. But they don't for their own reasons, which is the nature of private investment in sport.

Danson is also from Wigan so your earlier Lenegan comments are completely valid for both individuals.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

You need to learn to read , my post about " picking up club XYZ " was refering to Mr Danson , while him taking over Wigan is good for the game , as it gives them financial security going forward , it won't really change anything , if however he'd have picked up one of the other clubs I mentioned he could have had a very positive affect on the sport as a whole 

Reread it 

But he is Wigan born and bred, a Wigan fan who also owns the Football club. That is why he now owns Wigan RL

• Like 1

Reread it 

Of course things will change. Wigan will be able to make better signings now. That will be good for the league.

Other clubs not being bought out by a billionaire is more of a 'them' problem than a 'Wigan' problem. Most RL sides in England have just sat back since the game was invented and complained about the top clubs because they are the ones that took all the risks in a bid to become successful whilst they did nothing. If the clubs lower down the pyramid want better then they have to want to be better, not just sit there and moan about who keeps winning the trophies. Every RL side started at the same level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

But he is Wigan born and bred, a Wigan fan who also owns the Football club. That is why he now owns Wigan RL

Yes I know , the point I was making that although good that a RL clubs financial future is now assured , nothing will actually change , Wigan will essentially carry on doing what Wigan have always done 

Funnily enough I'm fairly sure Mr Danson was approached about getting involved at Leigh a decade ago 

2 minutes ago, lacuna1 said:

Of course things will change. Wigan will be able to make better signings now. That will be good for the league.

Other clubs not being bought out by a billionaire is more of a 'them' problem than a 'Wigan' problem. Most RL sides in England have just sat back since the game was invented and complained about the top clubs because they are the ones that took all the risks in a bid to become successful whilst they did nothing. If the clubs lower down the pyramid want better then they have to want to be better, not just sit there and moan about who keeps winning the trophies. Every RL side started at the same level.

Salary cap , and Wigan building a ' Dynasty ' as someone earlier suggested will not be good for the League or the sport as a whole , do you think it will be good for the league and the sport as a whole if Saints win SL again this year ? 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

He picked up London for a few years didn't he?

As far as i know he still holds shares in London Broncos, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong, and i wouldn't be surprised if he got more involved with them again, not on a full time basis, but in some capacity, but that's just my opinion

Salary cap , and Wigan building a ' Dynasty ' as someone earlier suggested will not be good for the League or the sport as a whole , do you think it will be good for the league and the sport as a whole if Saints win SL again this year ? 

You seem to be spending all of your time on this topic just wanting to moan and start a fight about something else. Maybe it is because its Wigan. It was quite clear what I meant and its rather bizarre how you keep focussing on one word in isolation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Funnily enough I'm fairly sure Mr Danson was approached about getting involved at Leigh a decade ago 

He obviously has some sense about where he spends his money 😄 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe Derek should dump Leigh and spend his money on York or Hunslet? Surely they are more deserving.

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Maybe Derek should dump Leigh and spend his money on York or Hunslet? Surely they are more deserving.

If Bo Derek had been Christopher Columbus he wouldn't have found West Leigh yet.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

46 minutes ago, longboard said:

He may have been looking for a suitable platform.

Cruel, but funny 😄

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Agree with the sentiment , although without him Leigh would be a very different club , which highlights the point I'm making , not much will actually change for Wigan , they are already at the ' top ' and would most likely stay there with or without Mr Danson 

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Agree with the sentiment , although without him Leigh would be a very different club , which highlights the point I'm making , not much will actually change for Wigan , they are already at the ' top ' and would most likely stay there with or without Mr Danson 

I think you are being a bit blasé here. Wigan are big for a RL club but they certainly aren't Man U or Tottenham Hotspur, they could fairly easily do a Bradford and slide down the leagues. 

Plus, I think you are also downplaying the effect of competition. Stronger clubs, whoever they are, make others around them pull their socks up, consciously or otherwise.

If the average attendance was 6k, a club getting 7k looks great. If club X starts getting crowds of 10k, you'd not be surprised to see club Y then trying to get better crowds. 

Edited by The Masked Poster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I have a question for the Wigan fans on here:

What one thing would you like to see change at Wigan under this new leadership?

Seems like money might be no object too (within competition rules).

Having reflected on this overnight, here are the things I think will change: I can’t put them in order though! Essentially, I think this is fantastic, game changing news for the club, and the biggest positive development since the gang of 4 took over at the start of the 80s: 

- we become as professional a club as Saints: we can develop excellent comms, commercial, player development and recruitment teams, with a world class CEO;

- we can invest more in players, using the extended marquee player and RU dispensations; and

- we own our own ground again: we have already played our home cup game there with no fuss, and had a curtain raiser on Friday. We will retain the money we generate from match days and so can combine Robin Park and the DW as assets effectively. We will see our branding and our have our heroes honoured. 

In short, I am thrilled. 

Lenaghan took us a long way, and gave it his all. Danson is in a different league. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1