Lenagan to Step Down

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

What a wonderful job Ian Lenagan has done as chairman and owner over the last 16 years. He gave us back our identity, something which had disappeared during the Whelan years. There have been so many iconic moments and trophies during the Lenagan era. Good luck with the future Mr Lenagan and hopefully we can continue to be successful under Mike Danson.

• Like 5

The club will be 100 per cent owned by Mike Danson who recently bought Wigan Athletic and interestingly the Wigan-Warrington academy game was played last night at the DW Stadium before the main event. This would never have been considered a possibility by previous Wigan Athletic owners. Things seem to be changing for the better already. 

Edited by Jinking Jimmy
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

A strong Wigan is vital for the game. I think Lenaghan has done a good job since Whelan - not a great one due to the last few seasons. But his time is definitely a success and I wish and the club well moving forward.

What do you think he could've done better, considering half of SL have the same amount of resources to compete with Wigan. 

44 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

The club will be 100 per cent owned by Mike Danson who recently bought Wigan Athletic and interestingly the Wigan-Warrington academy game was played last night at the DW Stadium before the main event. This would never have been considered a possibility by previous Wigan Athletic owners. Things seem to be changing for the better already. 

Wigan Athletic not owning the stadium is already paying dividends.

• Like 6

No real change in truth , good for the game to have a club financially stable , but shouldn't make much difference to anything , shame he didn't pick up Wakey or CAS , or Salford or Bradford or Newcastle or London or Widnes or anybody else other than one of the big 4 ?

Edited by GUBRATS

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

No real change in truth , good for the game to have a club financially stable , but shouldn't make much difference to anything , shame he didn't pick up Wakey or CAS , or Salford or Bradford or Newcastle or London of Widnes or anybody else other than one of the big 4 ?

Why would he. He’s Wigan born and lifelong supporter of the club. Hopefully, the clubs you refer to can find their own home born billionaires to invest. 

• Like 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

6 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Why would he. He’s Wigan born and lifelong supporter of the club. Hopefully, the clubs you refer to can find their own home born billionaires to invest. 

Yes I know , and I commend him for that , but as I said , nothing much will change 

Lehegan has put money into the club and improved it enormously, both on and off the field, compared to the shambles he inherited. He has to be commended for that.  He also has had one hand tied behind his back with the stadium situation and has tried to do his best to diversify away from that with things like Central Park and then Robin Park.

That said there are certainly things I have not agreed with and I think we have stagnated somewhat. I think his, and Radlinksi's, control over signings has been disastrous. As was his policy of everyone is replaceable and letting players go with the comfort blanket of being re-signed (and coming back as poorer players). I certainly think we should have built more of a dynasty and won more in the years following the 2010 Grand Final but never had the continuity that we have latterly seen from Saints and Leeds before that.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

He’s been immense for us. We were a mess when he came in and he did a great job turning things around. I think he’s lost a bit of energy for it in recent years but he’ll go out as a very popular owner with the vast majority of Wigan fans. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Lehegan has put money into the club and improved it enormously, both on and off the field, compared to the shambles he inherited. He has to be commended for that.  He also has had one hand tied behind his back with the stadium situation and has tried to do his best to diversify away from that with things like Central Park and then Robin Park.

That said there are certainly things I have not agreed with and I think we have stagnated somewhat. I think his, and Radlinksi's control, control over signings has been disastrous. As was his policy of everyone is replaceable and letting players go with the comfort blanket of being re-signed (and coming back as poorer players). I certainly think we should have built more of a dynasty and won more in the years following the 2010 Grand Final but never had the continuity that we have latterly seen from Saints and Leeds before that.

Just what we need ' Dynasty's ' in RL , that'll build the sport 

6 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

What will happen in terms of rent?

I believe Wigan RLFC paid the previous Bahrain owner of Wigan Athletic a substantial rent.

Do the football club pay Wigan RLFC rent moving forward?

Does the council still part own the stadium

Finally, thanks to Mr Leneghan for everything.

Just chatted with my son , a Latics ST holder , he suggests a stadium management co will be formed with representation from both clubs , the Latics are now in there probably true position as a League 1 club , he'll no doubt want to try to retain that this coming season , it will be interesting to see if he can persuade the council to remove the limitation on the stadium usage , to permit concerts 

• Like 1

When Lenagan took over there was a lot of work to do to get he club to where it is now. He made some really good decisions when it came to recruiting the right staff from the start. Michael Maguire, Mark Bitcon and Mick Hogan in particular helped turn that early period of his control into a successful one.

There have been ups and downs since then. Under Lenagan we became the best supported rugby league club in the country but we've also seen a dip in attendances towards the latter end too. It's been a really tough time for rugby league over the last few years, particularly with the impact of the covid pandemic, but he's continued to bankroll the club and keep the team competitive on the field.

The stadium situation has always been one of the biggest issues in terms of generating income but he's worked hard to overcome it and now with both clubs under the same ownership it should hopefully no longer be an issue. We saw the under 19's play at the DW for the first time in years as far as I can remember, which is a positive step to making the ground feel like a home for both clubs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

No real change in truth , good for the game to have a club financially stable , but shouldn't make much difference to anything , shame he didn't pick up Wakey or CAS , or Salford or Bradford or Newcastle or London or Widnes or anybody else other than one of the big 4 ?

He picked up London for a few years didn't he?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

No, Mr Lenegan.

You need to learn to read , my post about " picking up club XYZ " was refering to Mr Danson , while him taking over Wigan is good for the game , as it gives them financial security going forward , it won't really change anything , if however he'd have picked up one of the other clubs I mentioned he could have had a very positive affect on the sport as a whole 

Reread it