Ian Lenaghan - Please come back to London!!

Ian Lenaghan was the owner and Chairman at London Broncos before he took kn Wigan Warriors. Only reason he left London was because the RFL did not permit majority ownership of two clubs in the league system. 

Now that his tenure at Wigan is over the door is now open for him to return to London.

His investment, ideas and determination is needed more than ever if London Broncos are to return to SL and become a competitive club again. I'm pleading with him to come back, there are no obstacles in the way now and London needs to be better run than it has been in recent years. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Ian Lenaghan was the owner and Chairman at London Broncos before he took kn Wigan Warriors. Only reason he left London was because the RFL did not permit majority ownership of two clubs in the league system. 

Now that his tenure at Wigan is over the door is now open for him to return to London.

His investment, ideas and determination is needed more than ever if London Broncos are to return to SL and become a competitive club again. I'm pleading with him to come back, there are no obstacles in the way now and London needs to be better run than it has been in recent years. 

It's Danson you need 

25 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

There was an article recently that suggested David Hughes had loaned AFC money at a cheap rate in return for playing at Wimbledon for free. You read this @The Daddy?

I haven't, do you have a link? If that is the case I wonder why London have been made to play some hone games in Kent in a key time, the peak of summer with the football season over 🤔 

4 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I haven't, do you have a link? If that is the case I wonder why London have been made to play some hone games in Kent in a key time, the peak of summer with the football season over 🤔 

Reseeding of the pitch i heard, and Damian Irvine who is CEO of Ebbsfleet Utd where the Broncos played has strong Rugby League links

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I could see Ian returning to the London Broncos in some capacity, but not on a full time time basis. Possibly as a non executive director with his ownership of Wigan and being a successful businessman an asset to them

10 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I could see Ian returning to the London Broncos in some capacity, but not on a full time time basis. Possibly as a non executive director with his ownership of Wigan and being a successful businessman an asset to them

He will no longer be involved with Wigan later this year 

7 hours ago, dealwithit said:

There was an article recently that suggested David Hughes had loaned AFC money at a cheap rate in return for playing at Wimbledon for free. You read this @The Daddy?

Haven’t heard that, although I suppose it’s possible he might’ve bought a Plough Lane Bond.

Where did you see this, please?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Haven’t heard that, although I suppose it’s possible he might’ve bought a Plough Lane Bond.

Where did you see this, please?

Was in a Patreon article by John Davidson or one of his fellow contributors. Pay wall, so can’t share. 

6 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Was in a Patreon article by John Davidson or one of his fellow contributors. Pay wall, so can’t share. 

If that’s true (playing for free, not so much lending money via a bond), that would cause quite a stir. 

Could you post the edited highlights?

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

If that’s true (playing for free, not so much lending money via a bond), that would cause quite a stir. 

Could you post the edited highlights?

“The understanding in the north is that London Broncos owner David Hughes is paying some enormous amount of money - £400,000 a year or something - to rent Cherry Red Records Stadium and since the club struggles to attract 1000 people, he’s doing his dough. That’s not the way the team’s supporters see it at all. They say he bailed out the football club by giving them a £2 million bridging loan at only three or four percent interest. Until they pay it back, he gets to use the venue for free … but for league games only, which is why the upcoming 1895 Cup semi is at Rosslyn Park.”

Can I suggest people sign up to the subscription on Patreon: 

https://patreon.com/rugbyleaguelongreads

• Thanks 2

I imagine he would have an interest in finishing some business he left behind at the Broncos. Heaven knows he would be a great addition to a club which has been on an unstoppable downward spiral since his departure.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dealwithit said:

“The understanding in the north is that London Broncos owner David Hughes is paying some enormous amount of money - £400,000 a year or something - to rent Cherry Red Records Stadium and since the club struggles to attract 1000 people, he’s doing his dough. That’s not the way the team’s supporters see it at all. They say he bailed out the football club by giving them a £2 million bridging loan at only three or four percent interest. Until they pay it back, he gets to use the venue for free … but for league games only, which is why the upcoming 1895 Cup semi is at Rosslyn Park.”

Can I suggest people sign up to the subscription on Patreon: 

https://patreon.com/rugbyleaguelongreads

Thanks but that doesn’t make sense. 

How can Hughes be paying £400,000 rent a year if Broncos are supposedly playing for free?

Lenagan brought Danson in to Wigan because he was looking to wind down and secure the clubs future due to his age. At 77 I just can't see him wanting to start again at London at what would be a very long term and costly project.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Lenagan brought Danson in to Wigan because he was looking to wind down and secure the clubs future due to his age. At 77 I just can't see him wanting to start again at London at what would be a very long term and costly project.

I agree Ian has done a great job super guy he should be given VIP for life and left to enjoy the footy he deserves it.

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Thanks but that doesn’t make sense. 

How can Hughes be paying £400,000 rent a year if Broncos are supposedly playing for free?

He's saying the understanding that it's 400k in rent is incorrect and it's actually effectively free because of the loan.

John desperately needs someone to proof read his stuff though, there's often stuff posted on Patreon that's misspelt or confusingly worded like this. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

27 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

He's saying the understanding that it's 400k in rent is incorrect and it's actually effectively free because of the loan.

John desperately needs someone to proof read his stuff though, there's often stuff posted on Patreon that's misspelt or confusingly worded like this. 

Yes, now I’m fully sober I can see that.

I don’t believe a word of it. Wimbledon had a £4.5m bridging loan three years ago but it was from a commercial provider at c.11% interest.

I believe Broncos aren’t paying 400k and they aren’t paying nothing. Somewhere in the middle. 

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes, now I’m fully sober I can see that.

I don’t believe a word of it. Wimbledon had a £4.5m bridging loan three years ago but it was from a commercial provider at c.11% interest.

I believe Broncos aren’t paying 400k and they aren’t paying nothing. Somewhere in the middle. 

There is rationale behind the theory. If Hughes provided a £2m loan at 3-4% interest, I'm sure Wimbledon would have snapped that up to replace the equivalent loan at 11% interest, particularly because the bridging loan would likely have stringent repayment requirements/penalties, whereas Hughes loan was likely linked to Broncos playing at Plough Lane FOC

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

There is rationale behind the theory. If Hughes provided a £2m loan at 3-4% interest, I'm sure Wimbledon would have snapped that up to replace the equivalent loan at 11% interest, particularly because the bridging loan would likely have stringent repayment requirements/penalties, whereas Hughes loan was likely linked to Broncos playing at Plough Lane FOC

Yeah, I'm sorry but we'd hear about it if an individual had loaned the club a couple of mill to refinance a bridging loan. We're fan-owned/fan-controlled and all that jazz.

What he might have done is take out a Plough Lane Bond at lowish interest. The PLBs (1 & 2) raised c.£10m, which was used to finish the stadium and pay off the bridging loan.

Even so, we are told Broncos are paying rent. I've heard £200,000 a year or £20,000 a game. Works out roughly the same.

Might be a case of 2 + 2 = 5.

17 hours ago, dealwithit said:

but Hughes is more savvy with his money than people give him credit. 

I'd say 15 years and £30,000,000 of his money spent with another £20,000,000 of Central funding to take a Full time pro SL side with sponsors and an average of 4,500 fans watching in a rugby stadium paying £200,000 rent and it being 100% available to them to a part time mid table 2nd tier side, playing in a soccer stadium as well as 2 or 3 others when not allowed play at the soccer stadium that costs £200,000, with no sponsors and watched by 900 fans is hardly the work of a fiscal genius.