FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Imagine beating someone 6-0 in your opening match and then two games later they are through and you are not …

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Imagine beating someone 6-0 in your opening match and then two games later they are through and you are not …

Indeed, it’s been unpredictable so far with one half of the tournament draw now stacked with potential good games.

Netherlands vs Spain or Japan vs USA in the quarters.

Meanwhile it seems to be opening up for England although all the underdogs will fancy a chance at going deep now.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Indeed, it’s been unpredictable so far with one half of the tournament draw now stacked with potential good games.

Netherlands vs Spain or Japan vs USA in the quarters.

Meanwhile it seems to be opening up for England although all the underdogs will fancy a chance at going deep now.

Sweden v USA will either be a game for the ages or a damp squib but, either way, if the USA do go out then it will signal a massive shift in women's soccer. If they win then it shows they can be poor and still go deep in tournaments.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Germany out with a +5 gd and Morocco through with a -4. People like that unexpected side to Football. 

RL is a great game for rewarding the better side. However, in WCs it creates blowout scores of a predictable nature. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 02/08/2023 at 20:32, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Attendance Watch Day 14:

17,907 - Argentina v Sweden, Hamilton

14,967 - South Africa v Italy, Wellington

27,638 - Jamaica v Brazil, Melbourne

40,498 - Panama v France, Sydney (SFS) 

Total attendance: 1,164,632

Avg Attendance (46 games): 25,318

Attendance Watch Day 15:

17,342 - Morocco v Colombia, Perth

38,945 - South Korea v Germany, Brisbane

Total attendance: 1,220,919

Avg Attendance (48 games): 25,436

Having, mulled, my round of 16 predicted winners: Spain, Japan, Netherlands, USA, England, Australia, Colombia, France

• Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 23:26, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Attendance Watch Day 15:

17,342 - Morocco v Colombia, Perth

38,945 - South Korea v Germany, Brisbane

Total attendance: 1,220,919

Avg Attendance (48 games): 25,436

So, the Aussie public will go to internationals in a sport they have very little experience of, and which is (according to the blokes at the pub) inferior quality. Yet they are not interested in rugby league internationals. Funny old world.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

59 minutes ago, tim2 said:

So, the Aussie public will go to internationals in a sport they have very little experience of, and which is (according to the blokes at the pub) inferior quality. Yet they are not interested in rugby league internationals. Funny old world.

Here's the figures for the first two knockout games. 

------

Attendance Watch Day 17:

43,217 - Switzerland v Spain, Auckland

33,042 - Japan v Norway, Wellington

Total attendance: 1,297,178

Avg Attendance (50 games): 25,944

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Here's the figures for the first two knockout games. 

------

Attendance Watch Day 17:

76,000 people watching soccer in NZ and NZ aren't even playing.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 22:24, gingerjon said:

Imagine beating someone 10-1 in your opening match and you still do not qualify from your group ……… and neither did the opponents you beat so handsomely!  1982 World Cup Hungary 10-1 El Salvador.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Attendance Watch Day 17:

Attendance Watch Day 18:

40,233 - Netherlands v South Africa, Sydney (SFS) 

27,706 - Sweden v USA, Melbourne 

Total attendance: 1,365,117

Avg Attendance (52 games): 26,252

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

My God, that is incredible! We really are seeing a changing of the old guard in this World Cup. Wow! Wow! 

USA had never finished lower than third in any previous World Cup.

54 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

USA had never finished lower than third in any previous World Cup.

Exactly and when you think Germany, Canada, China out in the groups, Norway and USA out in the last 16, the only one of the old guard still going strong in this world cup is Japan who are looking good to be fair. Netherlands v Japan in the semis (I predict) will be a really close game I feel. 

13 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Exactly and when you think Germany, Canada, China out in the groups, Norway and USA out in the last 16, the only one of the old guard still going strong in this world cup is Japan who are looking good to be fair. Netherlands v Japan in the semis (I predict) will be a really close game I feel. 

Going on performances so far, I think I’d make Spain favourites but … 

Lauren James earned that red card with one of the most stupid fouls I've ever seen on a sports field.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson