DONCASTER

Peter Winthorpe

10 mins at start of 2nd half cost us...also I thought when they brought on their middles from the bench they turned the game, they made good yards and dominated the ruck. Unlucky from town...thought burns rightly mom

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Limmertime said:

10 mins at start of 2nd half cost us...also I thought when they brought on their middles from the bench they turned the game, they made good yards and dominated the ruck. Unlucky from town...thought burns rightly mom

100%

• Like 1

Poor 2nd half from us. I got the feeling they 'old manned' us. Like we did to Bradford a few years ago. Experienced players knew how to win penalties, influence the referee and ultimately their 2nd half performance was enough. Muzzy was right to be having a go at the ref at the end. He had a shocking 2nd half. 

• Like 2

Just now, townie88 said:

Poor 2nd half from us. I got the feeling they 'old manned' us. Like we did to Bradford a few years ago. Experienced players knew how to win penalties, influence the referee and ultimately their 2nd half performance was enough. Muzzy was right to be having a go at the ref at the end. He had a shocking 2nd half. 

He wasnt that good in first mate, Alowed them to sit on us all the game, having said that,  we were awful in second half too many mistakes to win games I am afraid

• Like 1

I said that after those easy games this would tell us where we are . The first half was pretty low quality but competitive . Then we start off the second half with a Bradley error then a stupid Bradley penalty and we couldn’t defend either and that broke the back of a tight match . They got confidence , outmuscled us with big lads and their halves and PNG hooker played off that . Honestly I thought we were very average . Our attack is ponderous and easy to defend . We move the ball slowly and it took 74 minutes to offload in a tackle . How often does Sabutey get good ball in the opposition half ? Our end of sets are dire .Walker is lively , Blaine is lively , we’ve got some guys trying hard and some deadwood who contribute nothing . Disappointing and frustrating in that the other teams are far from worldbeaters but we just lack a bit of nous and quality and shoot ourselves in the foot a bit to much 

• Like 6

Frustrating! You can't wait until the 70th minute to start throwing the ball around and having a go. Donny dominated field possession all of the match. our errors and discipline in our own half (where most of the game was) handed them their opportunities on a plate. 

Thought we lost the game rather than Doncaster won it, we could not handle the big forwards after half time, we were poor and lacked direction in the Doncaster half until the last few minutes.

you can’t play without the ball, but we gave too much away.

I am always worried when I see Andy Sweet as the referee, can’t recall a game when his inconsistency is inconsistent.

• Like 3

Donny are openly going for promotion this season. In the cold light of day, to be competing with them and running them so close with a vastly inexperienced side is a positive. Defeat still stings knowing it was there for us. But we will be better off in the future from games like that

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, townie88 said:

Donny are openly going for promotion this season. In the cold light of day, to be competing with them and running them so close with a vastly inexperienced side is a positive. Defeat still stings knowing it was there for us. But we will be better off in the future from games like that

Spot on there, I just think they were that little bit better in key areas. 

We aren't far away but we aren't promotion material in this league ..... Yet. 

Quite possible that we lose the next 3 games but we should be competitive and I just think that's where we are at the moment

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I said that after those easy games this would tell us where we are . The first half was pretty low quality but competitive . Then we start off the second half with a Bradley error then a stupid Bradley penalty and we couldn’t defend either and that broke the back of a tight match . They got confidence , outmuscled us with big lads and their halves and PNG hooker played off that . Honestly I thought we were very average . Our attack is ponderous and easy to defend . We move the ball slowly and it took 74 minutes to offload in a tackle . How often does Sabutey get good ball in the opposition half ? Our end of sets are dire .Walker is lively , Blaine is lively , we’ve got some guys trying hard and some deadwood who contribute nothing . Disappointing and frustrating in that the other teams are far from worldbeaters but we just lack a bit of nous and quality and shoot ourselves in the foot a bit to much 

Agree with all of that David.  Our line speed was really poor, our end of set kicks were poor. We struggled to play on the front foot for most of the game, and ended up playing in our own half for most of the game. I know it is difficult when the ref allows slow PTB and we are missing our first choice hooker, but the score flattered us. Donny were the better team, their pack were dominant, they shut us down and had done their homework on how we play. They looked like they wanted it more apart from a few exceptions which was disappointing. 

Let's hope Budsy is OK as we will really struggle with another first choice player missing from our spine.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

42 minutes ago, townie88 said:

Well said 👏 

• Like 1

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

How do you make sense of today.....I mean I travelled thinking of no less than another two points for us today - our opponents having lost at home 10-41 last week. So surely Town, on a winning run, would be successful ?.

Oh dear it's a funny old game for sure. The final 19-22 score-line gave a rather false impression of it being a close encounter - nope it really wasn't. Doncaster, especially in the second half. were dominant. And deserved to lead 7-22 as time was running out.

Now those opening remarks are my honest views. But it hurts to write such stuff - so I'll scrape up few excuses for today's inept Town performance. i.e. a top player from recent Town wins withdrew following warm up injury, making a re-shuffle necessary. The ref, blimey was he wearing a red nose and yellow hat? I don't like to slag these guys off normally but oh dear this guy was awful today - no make that diabolical. One Donny try featured a two yard forward pass in the build up - how on earth did he miss that? The linesman - on pop side second half- responded to crowd calls - that is amateurish to say the least and needs him sorted. Connor Robinson, ok good player, but he goaded the popular siders persistently and should have been reprimanded for some of it.

In conclusion - maybe it's too early for Town to think of promotion as yet.  UTT.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First half wasn't exactly exciting but there was no clue of the inept second half to come. Mistake ..try. Penalty penalty try . I see what's being said about their big forwards and having to match it but that was our worst spell when Reid,Charlton and Kirkup were all on , there weren't enough mobile forwards on in defence. How many minutes did the big fella with no name do? He was good for them and the six. Why do we miss Sabutey out in attacking positions ? and we rely on Budsy and Ciaran too much to make a break. Apart from the try at the end we lacked any punch and fifth was probably more of a realistic position of where we are. 

Well done Jason on a long career but you could always rely on his defence and now you can't . 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

How many minutes did the big fella with no name do? He was good for them

Albert Vete Melbourne Storm New Zealand Warriors . Some good runs , at least two of which were penalties for raising an elbow which we were telling the ref about . I thought some of their forwards looked fat and we could outlast them but our attack never got a roll on and of course missed Matty to get them up the ruck . We could have got Sabutey in there against big fat lads but he is woefully underused . Overall rubbish ref or not we were second best 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2