Fri 28th Jul: SL: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/07/23 at 19:30

20 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

He’s only 22. He’ll make mistakes. But he’s box office and will win far more games due to his class.

Staggered Hopoate got MOM. He was good but take Welsby out tonight and I think Leeds win with plenty to spare. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player who gets as many bounces of a ball that fall his way but he clearly makes that luck. He’ll be even better when he starts to play at Stand Off, which is surely his position. 

7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Great game from two commited teams Hopoate and Bells best performance in a saints shirt and Knowles playing how he should. The difference in the teams was Welsby though. Leeds have some tough young forwards coming through. 

Wow a fair and balanced post, get off here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

Great game with some excellent tries.

One question as I don't know the rules - the bit where Leeds kicked it high and they had three players offside. I get they were offside because they were in front of the kicker, but they replayed the action and I thought the ball then bounced and went to a completely different Leeds player (one that wasn't initially offside). Is that not OK?

One of the offside players was within 10 yards when the ball was next in play.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

Staggered Hopoate got MOM. He was good but take Welsby out tonight and I think Leeds win with plenty to spare. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player who gets as many bounces of a ball that fall his way but he clearly makes that luck. He’ll be even better when he starts to play at Stand Off, which is surely his position. 

Welsby was mom by a mile, MaCdonald was better than hopoate

3 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

One question as I don't know the rules - the bit where Leeds kicked it high and they had three players offside. I get they were offside because they were in front of the kicker, but they replayed the action and I thought the ball then bounced and went to a completely different Leeds player (one that wasn't initially offside). Is that not OK?

Only if the kicker plays them back onside

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

1st game after losing a CC semi final and the Saints players doing a lap of honour?  Whats all that about?

And bringing their kids on the field, it was once reserved for cup finals but I may be a miserable old bhugger but I can't see why it has to be done.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

And bringing their kids on the field, it was once reserved for cup finals but I may be a miserable old bhugger but I can't see why it has to be done.

I can't see what difference it makes so long as they look after them.

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Great game from two commited teams Hopoate and Bells best performance in a saints shirt and Knowles playing how he should. The difference in the teams was Welsby though. Leeds have some tough young forwards coming through. 

Superb. First time I have said that in a long time. Did he play the entire 80?

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Im sure we’ll here Wellens condemning this

https://twitter.com/bassettneil/status/1685014796578471937?s=46

Carney bottled it at the final whistle interviewing Wellens, it was Carney who brought it up at half time and highlighted the Bell tackle with video evidence, nothing wrong with it but it would have been good to have heard Wellens thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Welsby was mom by a mile, MaCdonald was better than hopoate

Cracking player MacDonald. You guys deserve Walters coming to our place, for McDonnell ending up with you! A Wigan forward if ever there was one is McDonnell. Really happy to see things working out for him. 

As for Welsby, I don’t say this as a Wiganer, wanting to see the back of him but he needs to go to the NRL and test his actual level. He wouldn’t do a lot at fullback IMO because he lacks an individual running threat but at six, I think he could become a superstar there. They keep talking about teams scrambling for halfbacks and going on about Sezer, Croft, Austin etc, as well as 3 or 4 fringe NRL halves, but if one of the clubs is serious about wanting a halfback, get in to Welsby, put him at six and reap the rewards. They can surely afford the 500k+ it would take to buy him. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Carney bottled it at the final whistle interviewing Wellens, it was Carney who brought it up at half time and highlighted the Bell tackle with video evidence, nothing wrong with it but it would have been good to have heard Wellens thoughts.

SImilar tackle technique without the force Asiata applied. Not great but it is the RFL who need to give direction. The force Asiata applied was significant though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Superb. First time I have said that in a long time. Did he play the entire 80?

Not sure but must’ve gone close. You could tell from the first ten minutes he’d took it on himself to run the ball more. 

18 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I suspect (if he’s still here), Welsby will take over 6 when Lomax retires. He is an exceptionally gifted player. Yep, makes mistakes but absolutely has talent and class if droves, which makes up for those mistakes. 2-3yrs and he’ll be an exceptional player. 

I thought Knowles was MoM; led the pack outstandingly with Walmsley, Paasi, LMS, Matu’auti, Sironen, Batchelor and Wingfield all missing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Was waiting for the question but nothing. After the week we’ve had, that’s poor by Carney and Sky. Honestly, those tackles last weekend can’t become common place, both for the defender and the attackers safety but after Wellens went in full meltdown mode, he had to be asked about them. I doubt he’d have seen them yet though but he’ll surely comment in the week, once he’s reviewed the tape. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Not sure but must’ve gone close. You could tell from the first ten minutes he’d took it on himself to run the ball more. 

Leadership qualities. Good. We want more of that; not the cheap shot merchant we’ve being seeing recently. Knowles has it all when he applies himself properly.

• Like 1