VALUE OF REACHING "WEMBLEY"

nineoil

I am just wondering about the upcoming historic trip to Wembley .

• We have reached the final of a cup competition . BRILLIANT !!
  • We have reached Wembley . BRILLIANT !!
  • For we fans the whole experience is BRILLIANT !!
  • It is BRILLIANT for everyone involved at the Club from the Board down to the volunteers !!
  • Most of all , for the playing squad and Coaches , it is a FANTASTIC achievement !! Another example of "little" Batley upsetting the RFL applecart yet again !

Amid all the current euphoria that is flying around there is an obvious question to be asked - will we make any money out of the venture ???

We are a small club and it is vital that success such as ours should bring financial reward to help build the squad for next season . It is clear that taking the squad down  south is going to cost the club a good few thousand quid just to get our Batley team to walk out on that famous turf .  The cost of a Hotel for the Squad and club officials will not be cheap nor will the cost of a Coach for the weekend plus all the froth that goes on !  What I want to know is :-

1. Is there prize money for getting to the final  ( i.e. Winners and Runners Up prizes )?

2. Does the Club get a cut of the tickets they sell ? If so , what is the percentage cut ??

3. Will "1 & 2" above cover the costs to the Club as a minimum ??

If the media reaction to the 6 semi finals ( CC ; 1895 Cup ; Women's CC ) is anything to go by then I fear that Batley & Halifax could be left wanting in the monetary reward stakes as the 1895 Cup barely raised a mention on either Saturday & Sunday's coverage ! I think BBC Look North gave it a one line mention on Monday evening ! . 

Considering that the RFL has had a bad financial year I am wondering if we are going to profit from this historic venture ?? It would be a big shame on the RFL if we didn't  !!

• Like 2

The other question is was the semi final a shared gate as both York and London didn't publish the attendance, or all takings put into a central pot. 

27 minutes ago, RogerT said:

The other question is was the semi final a shared gate as both York and London didn't publish the attendance, or all takings put into a central pot. 

York rarely publish attendances neither do you , its wrong and should be part of an RL requirement

• Like 1

I'm not having a go at either York or Batley but with it being a cup match are semi finals shared gates like earlier cup rounds.

Just to clarify the York game was a shared gate. We will not make anything whatsoever money wise on this fixture. Our aim is to not lose money on any coaches run and to seek to raise monies through sponsorship etc to break even with the cost of player wages and all the expense of travel, accommodation, meals etc. if we do that we will be very happy. I will not say anything more on this topic as i want to focus on the positives which is the achievement of getting to Wembley and enjoying the occasion.

We know we will have good support which is another positive. So just enjoy the build up and the day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Memories, that's what York supporters took from Wembley, I'm in my mid 70s and I thought I'd never see my team play at Wembley, the only other time York had been there was 1931, well before my time, just go and enjoy it, it may never happen again, good luck hope you win.

• Like 5

Just now, spanishknight said:

Memories, that's what York supporters took from Wembley, I'm in my mid 70s and I thought I'd never see my team play at Wembley, the only other time York had been there was 1931, well before my time, just go and enjoy it, it may never happen again, good luck hope you win.

This. I know it would be grand to have a big prize pot (we can only hope, in this sport), but this is about the occasion. Standing as one in one of the best sporting venues in the country, cheering on OUR team, creating memories. And if it's a big occasion for us supporters, think about the lads who will be out on that pitch, what a feeling. I imaging they've dreamt of playing at Wembley all their lives, and here it is. 

• Like 2

So basically there's sod all in it, paying for the prestige. Just so we know, we'll still not be able to attract players next season cos we'll still be poor. I guess that was at the heart of your question Rog!!

Edited by phildog

48 minutes ago, phildog said:

So basically there's sod all in it, paying for the prestige. Just so we know, we'll still not be able to attract players next season cos we'll still be poor. I guess that was at the heart of your question Rog!!

T'was my question and your inference is correct !!

2 hours ago, phildog said:

I think you do quite well not attracting players. Joint second in the league and a pain in the butt to a certain team that I support.😄

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, phildog said:

Why won’t we attract players? We are always on the big stage 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Why won’t we attract players? We are always on the big stage 

Exactly. Some people are never, ever happy. We are currently tearing it up on the pitch, 3rd in the league and on our way to Wembley. If that's not enough to attract players, I don't know what is. The negativity on here drives me up the wall!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BatleyBird said:

Exactly. Some people are never, ever happy. We are currently tearing it up on the pitch, 3rd in the league and on our way to Wembley. If that's not enough to attract players, I don't know what is. The negativity on here drives me up the wall!

Probably down to wages, don't worry it's not only ( some) Batley fans who negative, we've all got them lol.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Why is it? Players don’t come to Batley for the money they come to archive something it was said by Craig Lingard  in pre season 

I didn't know that but they certainly won't be playing for nowt.

10 hours ago, spanishknight said:

We've got a few as well

This has got be stated - as usual with these forums many contributors are missing the main point of the original post ! (sorry to say). Those accusing me of "negativity" should read the post again , carefully !! I have watched this club through thick and thin  for 64 years and consequently I will not take  lessons from any of you about negativity. 

This was not a moan about the Batley BOD in any way . It was not a moan about the Players or Coaches . It was not a moan about getting to Wembley. If you take off the Blinkers and read the post carefully it will be realised that the tone was congratulatory in every respect. If I have to spell it out I will !

The whole point of the original question was simply to establish the FACT that the participants of the 1895 Cup Final at Wembley , after much hard work and dedication , are probably doing so at a financial disadvantage ! I think that Kevin's contribution concisely confirms the question !  I think it highlights the difficulties of running a club at our level and cuts to the whole point of the original question !

It is clear that our outstanding achievement is not going to be rewarded with a meaningful  boost to club funds   How can it be that you get to a Wembley Final without any real reward ! I wonder if Hull  K R and Leigh are going to face the same problem ? (don't bother answering as it is a rhetorical question !)

Just to be clear this question has always been a "dig" at the RFL and not our Club !! It is about the way the game is funded below SL . Just think - if Batley only take 2000 to Wembley it would still add £100,000 to the gate receipts. Half of this amount wouldn't go amiss - now what is wrong with highlighting this issue . Negative you say !! Wise up I say

The reality is that we can enjoy the day and soak up the experience ( win or lose) but come the following day the Batley BOD will have to face the continuing , unenviable , task of financing the club on a day to day basis. Had the RFL played fair it would have made the BOD's job that little bit easier . It's called reward for success !!

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, nineoil said:

This has got be stated - as usual with these forums many contributors are missing the main point of the original post ! (sorry to say). Those accusing me of "negativity" should read the post again , carefully !! I have watched this club through thick and thin  for 64 years and consequently I will not take  lessons from any of you about negativity. 

This was not a moan about the Batley BOD in any way . It was not a moan about the Players or Coaches . It was not a moan about getting to Wembley. If you take off the Blinkers and read the post carefully it will be realised that the tone was congratulatory in every respect. If I have to spell it out I will !

The whole point of the original question was simply to establish the FACT that the participants of the 1895 Cup Final at Wembley , after much hard work and dedication , are probably doing so at a financial disadvantage ! I think that Kevin's contribution concisely confirms the question !  I think it highlights the difficulties of running a club at our level and cuts to the whole point of the original question !

It is clear that our outstanding achievement is not going to be rewarded with a meaningful  boost to club funds   How can it be that you get to a Wembley Final without any real reward ! I wonder if Hull  K R and Leigh are going to face the same problem ? (don't bother answering as it is a rhetorical question !)

Just to be clear this question has always been a "dig" at the RFL and not our Club !! It is about the way the game is funded below SL . Just think - if Batley only take 2000 to Wembley it would still add £100,000 to the gate receipts. Half of this amount wouldn't go amiss - now what is wrong with highlighting this issue . Negative you say !! Wise up I say

The reality is that we can enjoy the day and soak up the experience ( win or lose) but come the following day the Batley BOD will have to face the continuing , unenviable , task of financing the club on a day to day basis. Had the RFL played fair it would have made the BOD's job that little bit easier . It's called reward for success !!

To be fair I don't think the accusations of negativity were aimed at you.

• Like 4

The major benefit of the Wembley appearance, as I see it, will hopefully make the job of marketing the club and gaining sponsorship, much easier for next season. However, it won't fall in to the BOD's laps, it will still have to be earned. 

Would it also be worth selling very early bird season tickets for next season? Perhaps even selling them at this season's discounted prices, for the next 2-3 months only, to let people get over the Wembley weekend financially. Or maybe a deal with Wembley tickets, e.g. present your 1895 final ticket and guarantee next seasons tickets at this season's prices. They have presented fantastic value for money. Cash in on the euphoria?

• Like 2

The big win for Batley and any other club be it Leigh, HKR, or the ladies teams, is attracting supporters to the next game...!

If Batley had a home support of 64,000 (yes I know they won't fit in), but if we did we'd be top of of SL!

• Like 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: