What lazy accusations against match officials leads to

Marcus himself has re-Tweeted a couple of examples of the abuse and threats he's received. I'm not posting the actual abuse, due to the NSFW language, but it can easily be found online.

But, next time your team concedes a penalty that you can't bring yourself to admit may have been deserved, think a second or two before posting a red-mist tirade. Otherwise, you're on the first step towards this sort of behaviour yourself.

• Like 13

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fans moan before, during and after the games about the ref. Coaches and players blame the ref for their own team's inadequacies. RL 'journalists' sensationalise everything for clicks. The RFL doesn't act on coach's and player's comments. Referees get abuse. It's going to continue to happen. The referees should get together and refuse to work unless they are properly supported 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Yep the offending tweet is vile.

I've criticised/discussed decisions I dare say we all have at some point, however I've never made it personal about any particular referee.

I do think refs have a ridiculously hard job and Ive never really understood why people think they are biased or why they think personal abuse is OK.

I also think the media need to stop with the clickbait articles and fans should stop analysing every detail, and I realise I have been guilty of this this weekend, however I do think talking about it in a specific game thread is slightly different to general Social Media.

• Like 6

I'm absolutely sick of this witch hunt against match officials by fans, coaches, players but alarmingly so "journalists".

The whole Rohan Smith crying about a drop goal thing has seemingly triggered a whole host of "journalists" and media accounts slaughtering the officials, questioning every minute decision, especially it seems in favour of Leeds.

I've seen references to "client journalism" many times over the last 48 hours, even League Express and TotalRL have been accused of reporting on the side of Leeds with damning and damaging headlines such as " 5 more decisions unearthed that angered Rohan Smith" etc.

Not to mention the habit of taking coaches comments out of contexts and sensationalising them for click bait.

It's pathetic, damaging and disgusting, especially from such formerly respected publications and sites such as League Express and TotalRL.com.

For what? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

The whole 'Leeds have been robbed' thing the last couple of days is just bizarre but to be totally fair, most Leeds fans I've seen have accepted that their team wasn't good enough, haven't been good enough and the coach and the underpar players are at fault, not the officials, and are calling this weird witch hunt out, which is always good to see so fair play Loiners.

Edited by meast
  • Like 5

I’m sure Matthew Shaw is happy that his click baiting reporting of the Huddersfield v Leeds match has contributed towards this sort of abuse.

Maybe the RFL should consider revoking his press accreditation for a while. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, meast said:

I'm absolutely sick of this witch hunt against match officials by fans, coaches, players but alarmingly so "journalists".

The whole Rohan Smith crying about a drop goal thing has seemingly triggered a whole host of "journalists" and media accounts slaughtering the officials, questioning every minute decision, especially it seems in favour of Leeds.

I've seen references to "client journalism" many times over the last 48 hours, even League Express and TotalRL have been accused of reporting on the side of Leeds with damning and damaging headlines such as " 5 more decisions unearthed that angered Rohan Smith" etc.

Not to mention the habit of taking coaches comments out of contexts and sensationalising them for click bait.

It's pathetic, damaging and disgusting, especially from such formerly respected publications and sites such as League Express and TotalRL.com.

For what? 

I’m still waiting for the video clips of the Leeds players missing tackles and dropping the ball all of which contributed more towards the result than any of the “decisions” which were highlighted. Maybe the video is too long for Twitter?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Fans moan before, during and after the games about the ref. Coaches and players blame the ref for their own team's inadequacies. RL 'journalists' sensationalise everything for clicks. The RFL doesn't act on coach's and player's comments. Referees get abuse. It's going to continue to happen. The referees should get together and refuse to work unless they are properly supported 

The RFL have the “Respect” code but it is all just words and meaningless actions. They have had numerous opportunities this season to clamp down on some high profile coaches but so far nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

I’m sure Matthew Shaw is happy that his click baiting reporting of the Huddersfield v Leeds match has contributed towards this sort of abuse.

Maybe the RFL should consider revoking his press accreditation for a while. 

I actually quite like Matthew, he's given up his time for the HGSA numerous times and has always been straight up, approachable and honest.

I was surprised he took on the role as "clickbait manager" for Reach and stopped being a proper, decent, RL journalist.

His weird roasting of the match officials and inability to accept Huddersfield beating Leeds by fair means is just really bizarre!

Has there been pressure from the Leeds club for it to be pursued as some are suggesting?

Edited by meast
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I’m still waiting for the video clips of the Leeds players missing tackles and dropping the ball all of which contributed more towards the result than any of the “decisions” which were highlighted. Maybe the video is too long for Twitter?

Giants had 3 tries disallowed but there's no mention of that at all by these media outlets, just weird behaviour.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, meast said:

I actually quite like Matt, he's given up his time for the HGSA numerous times and has always been straight up, approachable and honest.

I was surprised he took on the role as "clickbait manager" for Reach and stopped being a proper, decent, RL journalist.

His weird roasting of the match officials and inability to accept Huddersfield beating Leeds by fair means is just really bizarre!

I have never met him but the latest “article” is similar to others he has written and it was only a matter of time before something like this occurred (again). 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, meast said:

Giants had 3 tries disallowed but there's no mention of that at all by these media outlets, just weird behaviour.

Doesn’t fit the Smith deflection game that some has bought hook line & sinker

• Like 2

Certainly wasn't "miles" or even "ten metres" wide and I wouldn't have liked to decide from that video.

In goal judge, however, was perfectly placed.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Certainly wasn't "miles" or even "ten metres" wide and I wouldn't have liked to decide from that video.

In goal judge, however, was perfectly placed.

I agree. The video I’ve seen proves nothing other than it was a close decision.

The only very minor criticism, and it is very minor, you could make was that the In Goal TJ was at the “wrong” post but that’s minor and he was much closer to the ball than the players and the coaches. 

None of that is any sort of excuse for the abuse seen

4 minutes ago, meast said:

Will it?

Have you seen the matchday threads on here? 

Almost 80% of posts are hammering the ref.

Mods are too soft.

As are the RFL.  They should be pushing for hate crime prosecutions.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, meast said:

Will it?

Have you seen the matchday threads on here? 

Almost 80% of posts are hammering the ref.

And it gets worse after kick-off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Its actually quite pathetic how some fans jump on the ref - quite often as an excuse for the failings of their own team. It exists at all clubs I'm quite sure. The last few SL games i've attended have been quite laughable at how keen some fans are to get on the refs back. They bemoan 'consistency' and a perceived injustice, and a demand for identical retribution - but so often its the failings of their own team and players that lead to these situations.

It also baffles me how some fans will absolutely make repeated excuses for their team and players - but will never give the ref a second chance, or the benefit of the doubt.

Refs get things wrong - of course they do, but thats the game.
I've often thought having a TV segment post game where the referees can break down certain decisions - and admit they maybe got it wrong, if that was the case - would be a good insight and addition to a broadcast. And might help in getting some fans off their back.

• Like 3

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Almost 80%? 

Any facts to back that up or have u just completely made that number up? (I think we all know its the latter)

70% is OK ?  60%?  50% ?

How low is OK ?  In your opinion.