Sat 2nd Sept: SL: Hull FC v Leeds Rhinos KO 15:00

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/23 at 14:30

19 minutes ago, Faithful1865 said:

A typical end of season performance from Hull. Holidays booked, bags packed and couldn't give a toss.  Mr. Pearson is going to have a job persuading us to renew our passes. Leeds were nothing special but were far too good for us.

I don't agree with that at all. I don't think we lacked effort. If anything, we were guilty of trying to hard in attack and it caused us to cough the ball up and put us under pressure. We reverted back to panic rugby.

Between the 20m and other 20m line we dominated I thought. Field position was great for us and we stopped Leeds going forward. But crucially, the try line to 20m line (at both ends) is where you win and lose games, and we failed at both ends. The only way Leeds got in our end was through giving them the ball most of the time.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

The underachievement of both of these clubs is becoming pretty boring but more importantly is a big part of what is stopping SL from being the vibrant competition it could be.

Both badly need to sort themselves out.

Cue Leeds fans talking about a unlikely run to a GF they were never going to win last year as some form of justification.

Edited by FearTheVee

13 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I don't agree with that at all. I don't think we lacked effort. If anything, we were guilty of trying to hard in attack and it caused us to cough the ball up and put us under pressure. We reverted back to panic rugby.

Between the 20m and other 20m line we dominated I thought. Field position was great for us and we stopped Leeds going forward. But crucially, the try line to 20m line (at both ends) is where you win and lose games, and we failed at both ends. The only way Leeds got in our end was through giving them the ball most of the time.

Its all about opinions but tell me the last time we finished the season strongly.

13 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

The underachievement of both of these clubs is becoming pretty boring but more importantly is a big part of what is stopping SL from being the vibrant competition it could be.

Both badly need to sort themselves out.

Cue Leeds fans talking about a unlikely run to a GF they were never going to win last year as some form of justification.

Leeds are sorting themselves out finally but it isn’t going to be a quick fix unfortunately. We’ve got a decent crop of youth coming through, and wether people like him or not we’ve got a coach who isn’t afraid of making tough decisions and getting rid of dead wood, which we’ve had far too much of over the last 8 years or so.

I don’t know much about the Hull situation but they’ve underachieved for s long time, there’s so much potential with that club it’s a shame they can’t capitalise on it.

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leeds are sorting themselves out finally but it isn’t going to be a quick fix unfortunately. We’ve got a decent crop of youth coming through, and wether people like him or not we’ve got a coach who isn’t afraid of making tough decisions and getting rid of dead wood, which we’ve had far too much of over the last 8 years or so.

I don’t know much about the Hull situation but they’ve underachieved for s long time, there’s so much potential with that club it’s a shame they can’t capitalise on it.

I don’t know if Leeds are sorting themselves out. Their recent ins and outs have been very questionable and they appear to have lost the young player with the most potential to Wigan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

I don’t know if Leeds are sorting themselves out. Their recent ins and outs have been very questionable and they appear to have lost the young player with the most potential to Wigan.

Sam Walters isn’t the player with the most potential, any way, we got a player off Wigan last year who is as good if not better than Walters so were equal in that score.

We don’t know all the ins for next year but what they are trying to build a team of players who want to play for the club as a nucleus, we just need a few decent players to add to them.

5 hours ago, Faithful1865 said:

Its all about opinions but tell me the last time we finished the season strongly.

I agree it's been a poor end, but not as poor as previous years. We've been in with a chance in every game we've played since that poor run ended. I've got more hope for next year as long as we don't have a shocking start!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Sam Walters isn’t the player with the most potential, any way, we got a player off Wigan last year who is as good if not better than Walters so were equal in that score.

We don’t know all the ins for next year but what they are trying to build a team of players who want to play for the club as a nucleus, we just need a few decent players to add to them.

Sam Walters has more natural rugby ability than any other forward at Leeds if not the League. Macdonall is a good player at club level but too small to go much further. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Morgan Gannon is a far more natural Rugby player than Sam Walters, and a better player IMO.

I'm hoping Gannon will turn out to be the real deal but at the moment Walters has the best offloads and game awareness also belive he's the quickest over length of field in the forwards. 

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I agree it's been a poor end, but not as poor as previous years. We've been in with a chance in every game we've played since that poor run ended. I've got more hope for next year as long as we don't have a shocking start!

Well lets hope your faith is rewarded.

4 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

I'm hoping Gannon will turn out to be the real deal but at the moment Walters has the best offloads and game awareness also belive he's the quickest over length of field in the forwards. 

He's averaging one offload a game 

On 02/09/2023 at 16:43, Chrispmartha said:

12 - 28

Uncle Tony has a hell of a job on his hands!

Before this game I was thinking back to pre season and the respective coaches at some clubs which were expected to do well this season, in this contest we have two Smith and Smith, two others were Powell and Watson, I do not think that I am being unfair to say that their respective teams have totally underperformed under their leadership with the resources that was made available to them, obviously one has gone by being relieved of his position I just wonder how much borrowed time the other three have remaining.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

Sam Walters has more natural rugby ability than any other forward at Leeds if not the League. Macdonall is a good player at club level but too small to go much further. 

McDonnell may have been transferred from the Wigan club but he played most of last season on loan at Leigh in the Championship, he was very steady without being a standout performer and for some reason Mr Lam did not consider him part of his plans going forward into SL or he may well have secured him when he had the opportunity to do so.

PS.sorry Tippytoe that should have been directed to @Chrispmartha

Edited by Harry Stottle

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Before this game I was thinking back to pre season and the respective coaches at some clubs which were expected to do well this season, in this contest we have two Smith and Smith, two others were Powell and Watson, I do not think that I am being unfair to say that their respective teams have totally underperformed under their leadership with the resources that was made available to them, obviously one has gone by being relieved of his position I just wonder how much borrowed time the other three have remaining.

No chance Tony smith leaving.  Several reasons but think the only thing he could be questioned on would be the pre season fitness.  He took a chance,imo, on taking an easier approach for players who had had long term injuries/recurring niggles and it backfired.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

McDonnell may have been transferred from the Wigan club but he played most of last season on loan at Leigh in the Championship, he was very steady without being a standout performer and for some reason Mr Lam did not consider him part of his plans going forward into SL or he may well have secured him when he had the opportunity to do so.

PS.sorry Tippytoe that should have been directed to @Chrispmartha

He was still a wigan player - if Leigh had a chance of retaining him they have let a very good player go!