Fri 1st Sept AND Sun 3rd Sept: SL: Leigh Leopards v Huddersfield Giants

Who will win?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/09/23 at 19:30

5 minutes ago, daz39 said:

but can the rfl now refuse this 'option' should it happen again?

Yes. Yes, they can. There is no precedent setting which means all matches have to be concluded this way. They can make an entirely different decision next time.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Maybe not in all seriousness, it was more of an exagerated point but can the rfl now refuse this 'option' should it happen again?

I believe the operational rules state that it is up to them to decide what route is taken. 

But tbh, I expect that where teams are facing adversity on the pitch, the teams would just keep trying as they have for the last 130+yrs, rather than running to the leccy box.  

There was a power failure, they needed a resolution, this was a reasonable one, even if it wasn't everyone's preference.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, meast said:

I was replying to your post which stated that it wasn't Leigh's fault that the stadium lights wouldn't work.

Well, it wasn't Huddersfield's fault but Huddersfield are the team that's been inconvenienced the most by it all.

I agree about the point each or, just replayed the game.

But yeah, like our season, it's done now, so we move on.

After this the RL should make it known what happens if floodlights faill because can you imagine if it had been say Workington at Cornwall. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

After this the RL should make it known what happens if floodlights faill because can you imagine if it had been say Workington at Cornwall. 

If it was Workington at Cornwall they may have made a different call to when it was Huddersfield at Leigh. That's why the RFL will make a call based on the specific circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

They have let it known. That a suitable decision will be made in a timely fashion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I believe the operational rules state that it is up to them to decide what route is taken. 

But tbh, I expect that where teams are facing adversity on the pitch, the teams would just keep trying as they have for the last 130+yrs, rather than running to the leccy box.  

There was a power failure, they needed a resolution, this was a reasonable one, even if it wasn't everyone's preference.

There wasn't a power failure as the scoreboard, advertising boards, lighting in the concourses was still on as was the PA and music for the 1 hour wait to be told it was off. the only thing that wasn't on was the floodlights, everything else seemed to be working normally.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daz39 said:

There wasn't a power failure as the scoreboard, advertising boards, lighting in the concourses was still on as was the PA and music for the 1 hour wait to be told it was off. the only thing that wasn't on was the floodlights, everything else seemed to be working normally.

Surely you aren't going down conspiracy route here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

If you're going to try and be clever and have a dig at a player on a forum at least have the decency to spell his name correctly.

Sorry about the misspelling, but it wasn't really a dig but an observation it seemed every the decision given against Huddersfield Jake could be seen marching over to ref to complain about something or other, if the game had been very tight and Huddersfield had run out of time, then look to Jake he must have wasted a good 3 or 4 mins with his protestations, he could be a cracking addition to any team if he concentrated on what he is paid to do.

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Problem is now this decision has set a precedent which i'm pretty sure has left the RFL open to it being abused, i can imagine a scenario now where home team is losing, has lost 2 players to HIA fails or minor injuries, another to a Sinbinning and is struggling to gain a foothold in the game  - BANG!!! oops the lights have failed and we can't get them working again, never mind we'll play it in a day or 2 when our players have rested a bit and are mentally ready again.

Really, what a strange world you live in.

30 minutes ago, daz39 said:

You obviously did not notice when the safety lights in the stands were put on, the lights in the concourses went out, and visa versa.

Edited by Harry Stottle

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Just because one doesn't like something, does not make it a farce. It seems a perfectly reasonable resolution to the problem tbh. Despite people liking to portray this as an 'only in RL' thing, it should be pointed out that this is also how Spanish football, for example, does things. 

I don't really understand the point about Leigh bringing players on straight away. Were Hudds prevented from using tactics in thie 2nd part of the game?

As I've said previously, in my opinion, it was a farce, because the players' mindsets and preparations would have been all awry, I'm not sure if Huddersfield were prevented or not, I suspect not, but either side could have come up with this plan over the previous 20+ hours that wouldn't have been part of their original game plan or tactics, I'm not saying Leigh had an advantage by doing that, but they wouldn't have done it had it been an 80 minute game rather than a 31 minute game I'm pretty sure of that.

It also COULD set a very dangerous precedent, I'm not saying it will, but teams and coaches will now use anything to their advantage.

It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, if that makes me a forum leper then so be it 😄 

Edited by meast
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, phiggins said:

I think that is what happened. Of the two subs made at the very start of the restart yesterday, one was about to happen on Friday anyway. Nakubuwei lined up for the first tackle on the wing, to be replaced by Amone after a 20-25 minute stint off. While Wardle lined up in the middle and ran off from there to be replaced by Asiata.

This would never happen in an 80 minute game but a 31 minute game is a different game to the coaches and players not a resumption as the RFL seem to think. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, meast said:

As I've said previously, in my opinion, it was a farce, because the players' mindsets and preparations would have been all awry, I'm not sure if Huddersfield were prevented or not, I suspect not, but either side could have come up with this plan over the previous 20+ hours that wouldn't have been part of their original game plan or tactics, I'm not saying Leigh had an advantage by doing that, but they wouldn't have done it had it been an 80 minute game rather than a 31 minute game I'm pretty sure of that.

It also COULD set a very dangerous precedent, I'm not saying it will, but teams and coaches will now use anything to their advantage.

It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, if that makes me a forum leper then so be it 😄 

If your coach doesn't use anything to his advantage when he can then you have a krap coach.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

59 minutes ago, meast said:

How would I know what he does or doesn't use to his advantage?

I'm pretty sure all coaches do, not sure how that's relevant though?

Relevant because you complained about leigh subs at the start of the restarted game.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 hours ago, Fevrover said:

They don’t need to because they make the decision on each individual game. So Workington v Cornwall they may say result stands. Why come out with a definitive way of deciding what happens which then makes things harder for everyone. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Just because one doesn't like something, does not make it a farce. It seems a perfectly reasonable resolution to the problem tbh. Despite people liking to portray this as an 'only in RL' thing, it should be pointed out that this is also how Spanish football, for example, does things. 

I don't really understand the point about Leigh bringing players on straight away. Were Hudds prevented from using tactics in thie 2nd part of the game?

I disagree with you, Dave, I think it is a bit farcical. I think Huddersfield were treated really badly here, given that none of this was their fault. 

If it was another team they might have thought differently. Also some teams would probably have kicked off big time about the injustice of it all. Huddersfield just got on with it.

Huddersfield are the losers here in more ways than one but there's been no bleating from them as far as I have seen on social media.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I disagree with you, Dave, I think it is a bit farcical. I think Huddersfield were treated really badly here, given that none of this was their fault. 

If it was another team they might have thought differently. Also some teams would probably have kicked off big time about the injustice of it all. Huddersfield just got on with it.

Huddersfield are the losers here in more ways than one but there's been no bleating from them as far as I have seen on social media.

I don't get why Huddersfield are the losers. What about the decision was bad on Huddersfield?

It's a decision that didn't give a clear advantage to either team. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meast said:

Where is the advantage exactly for Leigh? Aside from the very obvious logistical nightmare and disruption, and the fact it completely disrupts this weeks training and recovery plans ahead of a big game away at Saints, we were winning the game and cutting Huddersfield to shreds and were 20 meters out with 5 tackles in the bag. No one wanted that game completing Friday night as much as Leigh.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't get why Huddersfield are the losers. What about the decision was bad on Huddersfield?

It's a decision that didn't give a clear advantage to either team. 

The only aspect that impacts Hudds more than Leigh is the 50 minute drive back to play the rest of the game …

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

34 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Where is the advantage exactly for Leigh? Aside from the very obvious logistical nightmare and disruption, and the fact it completely disrupts this weeks training and recovery plans ahead of a big game away at Saints, we were winning the game and cutting Huddersfield to shreds and were 20 meters out with 5 tackles in the bag. No one wanted that game completing Friday night as much as Leigh.  

16-12, we'd just scored and you were 'cutting us to shreds'??? Jesus H christ 🤣🤣😂😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The only aspect that impacts Hudds more than Leigh is the 50 minute drive back to play the rest of the game …

Agreed. It's a non-issue. 

They played 80 minutes of Rugby, albeit in an odd fashion, but Leigh were obviously the better team over those 80m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1