What a welcome in PNG

Pulga

Amazing. You have got to love the PNG people.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Is there much RL activity in Solomon Islands and Vanuatu? Do they have ex pat communities in Australia and NZ

Interestingly in my small Qld town we have a heap of people from Vanuatu. They come over to pick fruit and vegetables as there is a specific visa for it. We had one guy play early in the season for us. They all play soccer though.

new rise.jpg

I've set my alarm - the women's game at 5am is too early for me on a Saturday, but I might manage the men's KO at 7.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, EggFace said:

Like watching the West Indies Cricket fans in London in the late 1970's....wish the country had oil or something rich and to get people going for tourism.

It's one of the most biodiverse places on earth. If they could get their ridiculous crime rate down it would be fantastic.

• Like 4

new rise.jpg

7 hours ago, EggFace said:

Like watching the West Indies Cricket fans in London in the late 1970's....wish the country had oil or something rich and to get people going for tourism.

Its a popular place for high end expedition cruises from Australia. Lots of history, culture, wildlife and cruise ships avoid the need to stay in the cities.  Not sure how much of the money made on these ends up in PNG though. Probably not much.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

RL is king in PNG. My favourite nation to watch play the sport.

What a rock-star welcome for the Aussies; full of adulation and fanaticism.

Is this game on Sky in the UK and Ireland this morning?

its on fox sports and nrl 24/7

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

PNG 18-30 PM's XIII at the end

• Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Where are they being televised 

I have a WatchNRL account. Worth the outlay IMO, for the completeness of coverage, and the catch-up opportunities for matches that kick off at sparrow's fart UK time..

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today the Australian Schoolboys (u18s) defeated the Junior Kumuls (u20s) with the score finishing 20-16, while the Australian Schoolgirls defeated the Junior Orchids 26-0.

Demonstrates the level of talent coming out of PNG despite the lack of a junior representative team associated with the professional Hunters side, I believe there were only 3 Junior Kumuls associated with NRL sides and playing in Australian systems with the rest coming from local junior competitions. Some effort despite the age gap considering pretty much every one of those Australian schoolboys would've been in NRL development systems for the past 5 years, playing junior origin representative matches and such.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Damien said:

And on my earlier point:

Dear old Albo…..if only it were that simple. This was a one off all star game that used to be played annually but hasnt happened in PNG since before the pandemic. Not a run of the mill game that happens every other week for 27 weeks.

Any team ‘based in PNG’ would struggle to recruit a squad of sufficient numbers and talent. Which players would be willing to move their families to PNG…..ones with no other realistic options.

What admission prices would they charge in PNG? Implications for revenues? 

Do the hunters charge admission price? How much and what are the crowds like?

Remember the most recent expansion was determined by financial considerations primarily. What would the club contribute to the games finances which is why a bid from an extremely prosperous organisation was selected.  How would a PNG based club add to the games financial wealth…its the only language Vlandys and his batman know.

46 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Dear old Albo…..if only it were that simple. This was a one off all star game that used to be played annually but hasnt happened in PNG since before the pandemic. Not a run of the mill game that happens every other week for 27 weeks.

Any team ‘based in PNG’ would struggle to recruit a squad of sufficient numbers and talent. Which players would be willing to move their families to PNG…..ones with no other realistic options.

What admission prices would they charge in PNG? Implications for revenues? 

Do the hunters charge admission price? How much and what are the crowds like?

Remember the most recent expansion was determined by financial considerations primarily. What would the club contribute to the games finances which is why a bid from an extremely prosperous organisation was selected.  How would a PNG based club add to the games financial wealth…its the only language Vlandys and his batman know.

I think everyone realises that it isn't going to happen without massive Government subsidies underwriting it. If that is forthcoming then nothing is insurmountable.