Beaumont has another tantrum, threatens to stop investing in Leigh

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Serious question .....is there any hint he had a few issues with anxiety it depression or anything? 

Often this comes and goes through the year 

I'd say it also gets sparked by change (maybe end did a season etc) 

It might be a cyclical thing that he goes through ?

Yes he has, it's on the David Dockhouse videos.

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Over the number of years he has been commenting Tommy, you know very well he is not going to come back with a "more controlled message" and quite frankly I am more surprised that you of all people would suggest that, you are useually a lot more rational in your comments and consider all angles your reasoning has somewhat deserted you here.

Your other comment above "course it's frustrating for him, it's very annoying" yes agree and the manner of the loss is going to draw a reaction from him, we all know that was going to happen. 

My take on it, I enjoy writing on these pages and am more diplomatic than Mr Beaumont, I will leave it at that.

Are you suggesting that, because it is expected behaviour now, that nobody comments on DB's outburst/tantrums etc when they happen?

Nobody is too old to change, and equally, DB has been more prominent this season than he ever has been previously (where his "outbursts" have been diluted by being in the second division etc.). I'd have thought he may have adapted to the new circumstances, perhaps I gave him too much credit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Some proper bile on here, about someone most forum members don’t know personally. Take a good look at yourselves. 

As it says in the Good Book "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" I doubt that there would be enough Stones flying to break even one glass house window from the contributors on these pages, including me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Some proper bile on here, about someone most forum members don’t know personally. Take a good look at yourselves. 

He may very well be a gentleman but that doesn't mean that everyone has to agree with his messianic devotion to a guy that devalues our game every time he opens his mouth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I agree with you.

To be prepared to pour a significant proportion of your wealth into a sports club, and in particular a Rugby League club, with no return other than pride in the club's achievements, immediately makes you quite an unusual person.

On top of that, Rugby League is a deeply emotional game, even if you're just a fan, never mind an owner.

In my view the decision to disallow the try by Oliver Gildart was one of the worst howlers I've seen from a video-referee and it clearly played a huge part in the outcome of the game. Leigh could have gone 12-10 up at that point.

At that moment the mood of all Leigh supporters must have gone from elation to despair and I can only imagine that Derek was at the pointed end of that feeling.

I won't justify some of his comments but if we want our sport to exert a massive emotional pull on those who take part in it and support it, we have to accept that sometimes the response of someone who has invested so much money, time and effort into a club to that sort of disappointment will appear to some people to be excessive.

And I suspect that if the same decision had been given against any other club in the same circumstances, the response of the relevant club owner wouldn't have been too far behind that of Derek.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Serious question .....is there any hint he had a few issues with anxiety it depression or anything? 

Often this comes and goes through the year 

I'd say it also gets sparked by change (maybe end did a season etc) 

It might be a cyclical thing that he goes through ?

Yes that wouldn't surprise me, it's a good point.

I've been vocal on here about how I like what Beaumont and Leigh have done this season, so my view is balanced. But he's accountable for his words and that speech he made was contemptible for a man in his position, so it's right we call him out on it. He needs to grow up. It's also disrespectful to the Leigh fans to rub their noses in the fact that the club is his plaything, and he could take his ball home when he wants. That might well be true, but saying things like that in an open fans forum disrespects them as much as it does the sport. 

• Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

He may very well be a gentleman but that doesn't mean that everyone has to agree with his messianic devotion to a guy that devalues our game every time he opens his mouth.

No they don’t have to agree, but there is no need for the offensive stuff some have written on this thread and many others about Beaumont. This forum is the only social media that I use, not just because I like rugby league but because in the main it’s used by sound people and isn’t subject to the bile seen on other social media platforms, some of the stuff written about Beaumont really isn’t appropriate regardless of whether you agree with him or not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I agree with you.

To be prepared to pour a significant proportion of your wealth into a sports club, and in particular a Rugby League club, with no return other than pride in the club's achievements, immediately makes you quite an unusual person.

On top of that, Rugby League is a deeply emotional game, even if you're just a fan, never mind an owner.

In my view the decision to disallow the try by Oliver Gildart was one of the worst howlers I've seen from a video-referee and it clearly played a huge part in the outcome of the game. Leigh could have gone 12-10 up at that point.

At that moment the mood of all Leigh supporters must have gone from elation to despair and I can only imagine that Derek was at the pointed end of that feeling.

I won't justify some of his comments but if we want our sport to exert a massive emotional pull on those who take part in it and support it, we have to accept that sometimes the response of someone who has invested so much money, time and effort into a club to that sort of disappointment will appear to some people to be excessive.

And I suspect that if the same decision had been given against any other club in the same circumstances, the response of the relevant club owner wouldn't have been too far behind that of Derek.

You’ve been in this game a long time Martyn, and will have seen many decisions such as the one that happened in this game.

How many times have you seen a club owner react like this? 

I think your answer would probably show that your post above is absolute nonsense, and you know it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I agree with you.

"...will appear to some people to be excessive"...?

He's a grown, professional man with a successful business and responsibilities, and accountable for his words. He's implying the sport is corrupt, not just incompetent. Stop making excuses for him and start doing your job as a journalist and try holding him to account. 

• Like 12

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Eddie said:

No they don’t have to agree, but there is no need for the offensive stuff some have written on this thread and many others about Beaumont. This forum is the only social media that I use, not just because I like rugby league but because in the main it’s used by sound people and isn’t subject to the bile seen on other social media platforms, some of the stuff written about Beaumont really isn’t appropriate regardless of whether you agree with him or not. 

People will react how they see fit. If Derek can call into question the abilities and qualities of those involved in the running of RL, then why can’t people have their say about him. 
Harry has been running off at the mouth about not casting the first stone whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that the first volley was launched by his messiah.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

You’ve been in this game a long time Martyn, and will have seen many decisions such as the one that happened in this game.

How many times have you seen a club owner react like this? 

I think your answer would probably show that your post above is absolute nonsense, and you know it.

I would be very glad if you would try to desist from mind reading and comment purely on the content of the post that I made.

The decision to award Leeds a penalty try in the 1968 Challenge Cup Final comes close to it, although that wasn't given with the benefit of having a video-referee. It was a straight decision by the referee.

But the anger aimed at the referee from Wakefield officials and supporters was at least as strong, although thankfully not recorded on mobile phones.

• Like 1

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

I would be very glad if you would try to desist from mind reading and comment purely on the content of the post that I made.

The decision to award Leeds a penalty try in the 1968 Challenge Cup Final comes close to it, although that wasn't given with the benefit of having a video-referee. It was a straight decision by the referee.

But the anger aimed at the referee from Wakefield officials and supporters was at least as strong, although thankfully not recorded on mobile phones.

Maybe if you desisted from the trick of reading the minds of multiple club owners then I wouldn’t be tempted into it myself.

You really could cut the irony with a knife in here today.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

"...will appear to some people to be excessive"...?

He's a grown, professional man with a successful business and responsibilities, and accountable for his words. He's implying the sport is corrupt, not just incompetent. Stop making excuses for him and start doing your job as a journalist and try holding him to account. 

By allowing himself to be filmed making his speech, he's holding himself to account.

And you are able to use this forum to do the same thing.

So concentrate on doing that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I agree with you.

Utter rubbish. There isn't one other SL club owner that would react like that. No way. Unprofessional tantrum.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

1968 😂😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

By allowing himself to be filmed making his speech, he's holding himself to account.

And you are able to use this forum to do the same thing.

So concentrate on doing that.

Brilliant, what a great journalism benchmark. "Somebody said something in a public forum, so I no longer have a role in holding them accountable, and will make a few excuses for them instead".

This is a story Martin, a story!  

• Like 1