The whining about the low GF attendance thread

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Going through the online link on the Wigan site - there are no tickets left - it only offers coach travel.

From the RFL there are literally no tickets in the Wigan end. 

So as thigs stand - 5 days before kick off, you cannot get a ticket for the Wigan end. 

I have no doubts that there will be empty seats in that end come Saturday.

The ticket sales process needs to be far better - people queuing round the block is surely outdated nowadays?

I don't know why you can't buy online from Wigan as tickets are being sold at the ticket office, so there must be tickets available. Unless Windows 98 has encountered an error and they haven't been able to reopen sales online.

The fact that you can't pick your own seats when buying online through the club is ridiculous. I don't know whether that's down to Wigan's shambolic ticketing system or them not being given access to the system used when buying from the Super League website, but events like this are hardly solo experiences so obviously people want to sit in groups.

I know that some people may not be tech savvy and prefer to buy in person but there surely wouldn't have been queues of that size if families could just pick their preferred seats when buying online from the club. 

Edit: Looks like more tickets have just been made available online a few minutes ago.

Edited by EagleEyePie
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Wigan have received a further allocation but the tickets aren't actually at the club, so anyone buying from the ticket office has to come back later in the week to collect or have them sent by post.

You can't choose where you're sitting and can only pick a category and get what you're given. There's no guarantee that you'll get seats together so my family of 6 (including 2 children) could all end up sat in separate seats nowhere near each other. How on earth can it be this difficult to sit with your family in your clubs allocated section at a Grand Final?

There's literally no point buying them from Wigan unless you're going alone. There's so many empty seats in the Catalans end if you buy through the RFL that it's the only sensible option, rather than playing ticket roulette through the club. 

Sounds similar to the process that was described for online sales by the club, where you would choose a category (price) of ticket and would have no option to choose a specific block of seats.

With regard to not being guaranteed to be together, I expect that will just be a disclaimer to cover them in the event that the last few seats within a price band are purchased by a group too large to be seated together. That said, people buying in a large group may well find that they end up with seats in the less preferable areas within a price band in order to be seated together, due to only such areas having large enough blocks of adjacent empty seats remaining.

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Going through the online link on the Wigan site - there are no tickets left - it only offers coach travel.

From the RFL there are literally no tickets in the Wigan end. 

So as thigs stand - 5 days before kick off, you cannot get a ticket for the Wigan end. 

I have no doubts that there will be empty seats in that end come Saturday.

The ticket sales process needs to be far better - people queuing round the block is surely outdated nowadays?

That’s going to be the test isn’t it. If there are any empty seats (barring the odd single) from half way, down towards and including the Stratford end, then they’ve failed paying customers again. Wiganers are buying seats at the Catalans end to ensure they get in. That should only be happening if there is literally no choice. I’ve no doubt we’ll see huge chunks of empty seats in the upper tiers at the Stratford end though and Wigan fans will be wondering why they couldn’t get them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WN83 said:

That’s going to be the test isn’t it. If there are any empty seats (barring the odd single) from half way, down towards and including the Stratford end, then they’ve failed paying customers again. Wiganers are buying seats at the Catalans end to ensure they get in. That should only be happening if there is literally no choice. I’ve no doubt we’ll see huge chunks of empty seats in the upper tiers at the Stratford end though and Wigan fans will be wondering why they couldn’t get them. 

And after we pee customers off again, we will wonder why crowds decline a little bit more each time. 

• Like 3

The fact that a club of Wigan's size can't get their act in order to enable to choose your own seats for the Grand Final is a pretty shocking indictment of that club's commercial operation. That's 1999 levels of technology. 

This is an example of a reason why Super League should consider embracing whole-of-league tech platforms, with all clubs using the same partner. Hull KR run their ticketing system with Ticketmaster's tech, which the RFL use, and that enabled us to choose tickets seat-by-seat for the Challenge Cup Final, whilst other rows in the same section were "unavailable" but instead "available" on the RFL ticket site. That is tech focused on delivering an optimal customer experience. No doubt if Wigan had partnered with Ticketmaster, the same would have been possible. 

Even without that, Wigan should have a platform able to spin up a replica of the blocks they have, for customers to choose their own seats. Leigh managed that for the Cup Final, not being a Ticketmaster partner. Why would you place unnecessary barriers in front of customers who you want to purchase things? Madness. 

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

The fact that a club of Wigan's size can't get their act in order to enable to choose your own seats for the Grand Final is a pretty shocking indictment of that club's commercial operation. That's 1999 levels of technology. 

This is an example of a reason why Super League should consider embracing whole-of-league tech platforms, with all clubs using the same partner. Hull KR run their ticketing system with Ticketmaster's tech, which the RFL use, and that enabled us to choose tickets seat-by-seat for the Challenge Cup Final, whilst other rows in the same section were "unavailable" but instead "available" on the RFL ticket site. That is tech focused on delivering an optimal customer experience. No doubt if Wigan had partnered with Ticketmaster, the same would have been possible. 

Even without that, Wigan should have a platform able to spin up a replica of the blocks they have, for customers to choose their own seats. Leigh managed that for the Cup Final, not being a Ticketmaster partner. Why would you place unnecessary barriers in front of customers who you want to purchase things? Madness. 

I've never had an issue booking a ticket for a RL event. Not sure if that means i am a genius, lucky or deluded.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Agreed. Makes sense if certain stands are not open, but they don't appear to have tickets in sale in the lower bowl which absolutely will be being held back. 

Why on earth would you not sell the lower bowl, which is in the TV arc, first before you sold the upper tier? These are decisions that 14 year old GCSE Business Studies students could make a better job of making within their marketing project this term.

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
Typo
  • Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

9 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

There’s a little more to it with Wigan as they fell out with the stadium selling away tickets and now do it through their club shop etc, plus the previous ticketing contracts fell once Latics were in administration

Worth noting that Hull FC - in a similar position to Wigan in terms of home & away ticketing - decided they were incapable of selling any tickets at all for Wembley the other year

A lot of criticism from individuals not fans of the club or buying tickets about a process in which Wigan appear to have sold out at least 2 batches of tickets in under 24 hours. 

I have looked online out of interest (would have bought a dozen myself but for several clashing events making it impossible) and Wigan appear to have some Category 5 tickets which I assume are at the back of the Stretford End. Othewise their end appears pretty much full.

In that half of the ground the RFl seems to have several blocks with just 1 or 2 individual tickets, and fhen at the Cats end they appear to have sold quite a lot of tickets but it looks like they are filling alternate rows presumably to ensure the seat counters can sleep well on Saturday.

Not sure if the very top tier of the North Stand will be open but even if not, I suspect the crowd will be north of 60,000 which will be very healthy indeed with a week’s notice. 

• Like 2

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 minute ago, The 4 of Us said:

A lot of criticism from individuals not fans of the club or buying tickets about a process in which Wigan appear to have sold out at least 2 batches of tickets in under 24 hours. 

I have looked online out of interest (would have bought a dozen myself but for several clashing events making it impossible) and Wigan appear to have some Category 5 tickets which I assume are at the back of the Stretford End. Othewise their end appears pretty much full.

In that half of the ground the RFl seems to have several blocks with just 1 or 2 individual tickets, and fhen at the Cats end they appear to have sold quite a lot of tickets but it looks like they are filling alternate rows presumably to ensure the seat counters can sleep well on Saturday.

Not sure if the very top tier of the North Stand will be open but even if not, I suspect the crowd will be north of 60,000 which will be very healthy indeed with a week’s notice. 

If it was north of 60k then that would be amazing. I hope you are right.

26 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

I’m sure the RFL would take 60k now, I certainly would. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Nothing wrong with pointing out things that could be improved. Good businesses are interested in that stuff.

I think ticket sales will go well, and the stadium will look good despite the Cats end probably looking half empty. Wigan will sell their end, and with North top tier being off sale it looks like the rest of the ground will be almost full too. I'd forecast 60k+. Doesn't mean we can't hope our clubs and governing body could be better organised though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Nothing wrong with pointing out things that could be improved. Good businesses are interested in that stuff.

I think ticket sales will go well, and the stadium will look good despite the Cats end probably looking half empty. Wigan will sell their end, and with North top tier being off sale it looks like the rest of the ground will be almost full too. I'd forecast 60k+. Doesn't mean we can't hope our clubs and governing body could be better organised though.

Look at the Cats end that’s half full and it might make your night.

• Thanks 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

9 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Surely the Saints fans who were going to go, could still go anyway to cheer on Catalans?

It makes my stomach turn that I am rooting for Sam Tomkins to end his career on a high. As much as I wish RL could get higher attendances, this one is just a but too much for me.

• Haha 2

Just now, sam4731 said:

It makes my stomach turn that I am rooting for Sam Tomkins to end his career on a high. As much as I wish RL could get higher attendances, this one is just a but too much for me.

I understand. I feel similar, but time we had a new champion for a change. 

Just now, londonrlfan said:

I understand. I feel similar, but time we had a new champion for a change. 

Oh don't get me wrong, Tomkins could score the winning try and pull up his top to reveal "I H8 SAINTS" and I'd still be celebrating the day he was born. I often actually wonder if I hate Wigan more than I support saints.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

60k would be excellent, as it would be higher than Leeds v Saints last year. 

Imagine that. Heads would explode. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm very much of the view that anything over the 45k that was there last time Catalans were in the final would be fantastic so if that 50k is accurate then, well, fantastic!! 

To be fair, the last one was with (limited) Covid restrictions and Wigan will take more fans than Saints, so I’d say 50k is the bare minimum.