Championship Meeting #2

Following on from the locked thread I hear that another meeting of Championship/C1 chairmen/owners is scheduled to be held this Wednesday. Maybe something will emerge.

Clubs have also now been informed of their provisional IMG scores/rankings but only their own, not everybody else's.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Following on from the locked thread I hear that another meeting of Championship/C1 chairmen/owners is scheduled to be held this Wednesday. Maybe something will emerge.

Clubs have also now been informed of their provisional IMG scores/rankings but only their own, not everybody else's.

Back on topic I’d hazard a guess this won’t be solved Wednesday either as there is obviously a big impasse between the clubs as isn’t this the 3rd meeting now? 

38 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

It was my fault last time I hold my hands up when I’m in wrong I won’t derail this one sorry for the last thread. 

No Problem, I've also derailed threads in the past..  As have others....
Now not to more derail this one, this will be my last post in this thread until we get the results of the meeting later this week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Seems to be a suggestion that SL reserves may take part in league one, as sometimes happens in other sports.

Interesting. Would that mean less loan players for Championship clubs as SL club fringe/young players now getting plenty of competitive games in League 1? I really hope they don't try and run L1 with just 8 clubs

Edited by OnStrike
  • Like 1

Interesting comment by Oldhams MD Mike Ford ahead of last week’s meeting 

“ Ford said it was time to put club interests on the back burner and to vote for the game’s welfare, to such an extent that clubs should be prepared to help each other.

We are all in this together. And while we can all find reasons to put our own club first, we need to vote for whatever option is considered best for the game as a whole. We’ve discussed this at board level and it’s the board’s view as well as mine.“

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

“ Ford said it was time to put club interests on the back burner and to vote for the game’s welfare, to such an extent that clubs should be prepared to help each other.

We are all in this together. And while we can all find reasons to put our own club first, we need to vote for whatever option is considered best for the game as a whole. We’ve discussed this at board level and it’s the board’s view as well as mine.“

Can you tell SL Chairmen please.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Would that view of the best for the game as a whole coincidentally be what is best for League 1 and therefore Oldham? Is that the same as when Championship fans (and chairmen?) say that they want what is best for the game, which coincidentally is what is best for the Championship clubs?

No one actually says what is best for the game. Just that we should do what is best for the game. But what is that. And does anyone ever suggest anything that doesn't coincidentally benefit their own club?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Would that view of the best for the game as a whole coincidentally be what is best for League 1 and therefore Oldham? Is that the same as when Championship fans (and chairmen?) say that they want what is best for the game, which coincidentally is what is best for the Championship clubs?

No one actually says what is best for the game. Just that we should do what is best for the game. But what is that. And does anyone ever suggest anything that doesn't coincidentally benefit their own club?

Exactly. For all the slagging off of SL clubs voting in their own self-interests, the L1 and Champ clubs are just the same. I never hear about any of them foregoing 10s of thousands of their tv money to fund development officers and grass roots activity.

Just now, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Exactly. For all the slagging off of SL clubs voting in their own self-interests, the L1 and Champ clubs are just the same. I never hear about any of them foregoing 10s of thousands of their tv money to fund development officers and grass roots activity.

Tbf if they had 10s of thousands they might lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

They never did when they had 10s of thousands.

No because SL made it fastest to the top.teams like mine even had to disband an academy because we can’t have one. But anyway your derailing thread again leave it for the champ meeting. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I think that distribution of money should be looked at. I think that League 1 clubs should be getting more money, though I think that should come with some caveats of community work, such as development officers. And that should be the case for all pro/semi pro clubs. However I don't think that is a conversation for us on this board to have very easily given we don't know figures involved. It is a huge decision that needs proper analysis and thinking of by an independent (none club) body. And one made easier by having more money, which comes about from having a stronger SL, and so requires more investment in SL. It really is a tough decision. 

23 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Would that view of the best for the game as a whole coincidentally be what is best for League 1 and therefore Oldham? 

The argument seems to boil down to L1 being unsustainable with 8 clubs.

If we are to assume that this is the case, that might imperil the continued existence of certain great old clubs and promising new ones.

I think we can all agree that such a scenario would be extremely bad news.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In fairness to Oldham they look likely to win promotion so any kind of merger of the divisions may work against them.

In response to comments by one poster in the locked thread who was saying nobody in League One was demanding a merged league, two clubs in Hunslet and Rochdale explicitly said in their statements that that is what they wanted.

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

Whatever happens it won’t please all champ or League 1 clubs, but champ clubs hold the cards because their is more of them, so whatever is decided it will be champ clubs that  decide it, same as SL clubs do with 2 votes. 

Indeed they do, though I suspect not all of them see eye to eye on the matter.

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Again?? I was just replying to a comment. You have subsequently chosen to reply to get your two penneth in.

I got blame for last thread derailing your dragging me along derailing this one, I derailed last one I ain’t derailing this one lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

Indeed they do, though I suspect not all of them see eye to eye on the matter.

From what I gather champ clubs are a tight knit group and usually vote together barring Toulouse they do their own thing lol. You have to remember alot of these chairmen have been together years and majority get along, keighley we’re new they didn’t count lol. 

Edited by Rovers13