IMG Grading System (Many Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t know how many days after it will be announced.

I suspect it will be fairly soon after though. Not sure what your point is, Lindon or Toulouse didn’t know where they would be playing until after the GF was finished this year either

Not quite the same.

They knew one would be in SL as fact.

And they knew Wakey would not.

Which is different to, say, 5 teams not knowing and on the field results potentially not having an impact.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Not sure the two are mutually exclusive.

Incumbency is equally as attractive to the bottom end of SL - especially with Toulouse and Leigh sniffing about.

I don't see how that also precludes the top end of SL including that as a factor in considerations.

If the idea was real jeopardy - they would not have voted for it.

And likewise the fact they voted for what was in their interest and that they think its the best for the sport isn’t necessarily mutually exclusive 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

And likewise the fact they voted for what was in their interest and that they think its the best for the sport isn’t necessarily mutually exclusive 

I have no doubt their consideration of best for the sport is secondary. A consideration, but not the primary one none the less.

None at all.

You could have said the same about licensing, P&R or Super 8s at the time.

A few might have it bite them on the aris - but does not prove the initial intention imho.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

I have no doubt their consideration of best for the sport is secondary. A consideration, but not the primary one none the less.

None at all.

You could have said the same about licensing, P&R or Super 8s at the time.

A few might have it bite them on the aris - but does not prove the initial intention imho.

So what’s your solution? Not give them a vote? It would have been the same outcome with a lot more gnashing of teeth

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So what’s your solution? Not give them a vote? It would have been the same outcome with a lot more gnashing of teeth

I don't follow.

I was giving my view on intentions and the prism through which to view them.

If Super League is open to some B grade clubs, it should be open to all of them. P+R between B grade clubs should continue until there are enough A grades to fill the league. Also I'd gradually adapt central/TV funding to be more evenly spread across the grades. B grades should get more than A to help them get up to an A? I don't want an incumbency model so this seems the fairest way. Super League funding shouldn't be more than Championship funding for clubs with the same grade. They already get the advantages of visibility, away fans etc to boost their numbers compared with championship clubs.

I'd support having multiple facets to a grade, not just an overall number. Minimum standards in each pillar for example, for both As and Bs. That would probably thin out the numbers a bit, otherwise 7.5 is too low a score to get a B, should go up. I reckon IMG have screwed up the grading scoring system criteria a bit if they are surprised by how many As they have got, so they should be adapted at this stage too.

Edited by Hopie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

My experience with soccer where contrary to some inaccurate comments on this board from time to time, promotion is not automatic and nor is relegation is that you usually know who can go up if they finish in a promotion spot a couple of months before the end of the season.

This explains the massive unpopularity of football in this country, of course.

Same with rugby union who also have strict criteria based p&r

3 minutes ago, Hopie said:

If Super League is open to some B grade clubs, it should be open to all of them. P+R between B grade clubs should continue until there are enough A grades to fill the league. Also I'd gradually adapt central/TV funding to be more evenly spread across the grades. B grades should get more than A to help them get up to an A? I don't want an incumbency model so this seems the fairest way. Super League funding shouldn't be more than Championship funding for clubs with the same grade. They already get the advantages of visibility, away fans etc to boost their numbers compared with championship clubs.

I'd support having multiple facets to a grade, not just an overall number. Minimum standards in each pillar for example, for both As and Bs. That would probably thin out the numbers a bit, otherwise 7.5 is too low a score to get a B, should go up. I reckon IMG have screwed up the grading scoring system criteria a bit if they are surprised by how many As they have got, so they should be adapted at this stage too.

A grade clubs giving  money to B clubs? And in turn that could turn an A club into a B?

You don’t incentivise clubs to becoming an A club by giving B clubs more cash

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think you will find out in life those with the least can only afford to look after themselves, and that is when they get help from outside influences, it is about affordability, how about those 'A' rated clubs take less CF, the 'B's a little more and the 'C's getting the most, that would work wouldn't it? They could all afford to look longer term then, do you agree?

Oh Dear - Wash your mouth out Harry - you will get banned using Disgusting language like that

4 hours ago, Damien said:

So you don't agree with the criteria and process. That's fine and your perogative. It does make the entire exercise pointless though if we just keep the 24th best team in SL.

They are not the 24th best team - they are the 12th best team - because they won promotion ?? on the field

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

My experience with soccer where contrary to some inaccurate comments on this board from time to time, promotion is not automatic and nor is relegation is that you usually know who can go up if they finish in a promotion spot a couple of months before the end of the season.

This explains the massive unpopularity of football in this country, of course.

Just out of interest, when was the last time anyone in what I'd class the four top divisions was refused promotion? I know that after the advent of promotion and relegation from the National league 2 or 3 clubs got knocked back on facilities thus 2 or 3 sides avoided relegation from Division 4.  Also I'm not interested about someone denied promotion from Div 5 of the Sussex Sunday league.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

5 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

They are not the 24th best team - they are the 12th best team - because they won promotion ?? on the field

Well no, technically Wakefield are the 12th best team if you are using on field metric. We don’t yet know what position London will be in the SuperLeague table

😉

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Just out of interest, when was the last time anyone in what I'd class the four top divisions was refused promotion? I know that after the advent of promotion and relegation from the National league 2 or 3 clubs got knocked back on facilities thus 2 or 3 sides avoided relegation from Division 4.  Also I'm not interested about someone denied promotion from Div 5 of the Sussex Sunday league.

I don't think it's happened inside the Football League for ... well, a really long time.

But, as said, Luton had to commit to ground improvements for this season and had to postpone their first match to complete them before they were allowed to play a Premier League match at home - and were threatened with genuine sanctions in the case of further postponements. Others have had to put in temporary facilities and/or agree ground shares to cover the event of promotion.

There are some clubs in Leagues 1 & 2 who may dream of Premier League football but wouldn't be allowed promotion to it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I don't think it's happened inside the Football League for ... well, a really long time.

But, as said, Luton had to commit to ground improvements for this season and had to postpone their first match to complete them before they were allowed to play a Premier League match at home - and were threatened with genuine sanctions in the case of further postponements. Others have had to put in temporary facilities and/or agree ground shares to cover the event of promotion.

There are some clubs in Leagues 1 & 2 who may dream of Premier League football but wouldn't be allowed promotion to it.

Wasn’t the reason Wrexham started pulling the stand down even without required funding because it wouldn’t be allowed in the premier league?

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Wasn’t the reason Wrexham started pulling the stand down even without required funding because it wouldn’t be allowed in the premier league?

Bingo.

You don't make your run for promotion until you have the ground and facilities that would let you do it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)