Pacific bears

17 hours ago, Damien said:

I also completely fail to see why any NRL bid needs the Bears to be successful and they will only hinder and cause issues with any club. For me any bid should have a core location strong enough to host 90% of their games or it seems a little pointless as an expansion candidate. In this case the only place that could do that is North Sydney/Central Coast which just means another Sydney/NSW club and there are far more beneficial expansion options than that.

Moana Pacifika in Super RU was less ambitious than this and has still failed with low sub 5k crowds because, while it tries to appeal to Tonga, Samoa and NZ, it ends up appealing to no one. The obvious comparisons are there.

When this inevitably doesn't work those those handul of games at the North Sydney Oval will only increase by stealth, which is probably the real plan.

That is 100% their end goal. They’ve realised they need to partner with an expansion area but if/when they get in they would white ant the new area and gradually or not so gradually move full time back to North Sydney.

It is a shame because if the Bears were willing to buy in to a full relocation of top grade operations they’d probably be a chance, as it stands they still want at least 4 games at NSO as “non-negotiables”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jim_57 said:

That is 100% their end goal. They’ve realised they need to partner with an expansion area but if/when they get in they would white ant the new area and gradually or not so gradually move full time back to North Sydney.

It is a shame because if the Bears were willing to buy in to a full relocation of top grade operations they’d probably be a chance, as it stands they still want at least 4 games at NSO as “non-negotiables”.

They want to do the exact same thing what manly did to them in 2002.

for the life of me I seriously don’t understand why government funding can’t be found for such a beautiful and iconic stadium like the north Sydney oval.

2 hours ago, Bamboozle said:

They want to do the exact same thing what manly did to them in 2002.

for the life of me I seriously don’t understand why government funding can’t be found for such a beautiful and iconic stadium like the north Sydney oval.

It’s a rubbish stadium for rugby league.  Cricket fields have no regular place in top level rugby league.

7 hours ago, Bamboozle said:

Bring back the bears…………..the Coventry bears.

homes games to be played at the Butts park arena with an annual heritage game at the north Sydney oval.

Or get an NRL presence in London.  Build a new stadium close to a main line station which would draw in fans from the West of England and South Wales...the Paddington Bears!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 months later...
On 31/10/2023 at 20:05, Copa said:

It’s a rubbish stadium for rugby league.  Cricket fields have no regular place in top level rugby league.

I think one of the major reasons they planned to move to the CC stadium back in the late 90's was the lack of corporate facilities at Nth Sydney Oval.

3 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I think one of the major reasons they planned to move to the CC stadium back in the late 90's was the lack of corporate facilities at Nth Sydney Oval.

It was a relocation to a very closely related market geographically when in its infancy, the NRL were hell bent on minimising its club footprint in Sydney.

Take away the delays to the stadium build due to weather, without a doubt, we would be close to celebrating their 25th anniversary in the NRL as the CC Bears.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It was a relocation to a very closely related market geographically when in its infancy, the NRL were hell bent on minimising its club footprint in Sydney.

Take away the delays to the stadium build due to weather, without a doubt, we would be close to celebrating their 25th anniversary in the NRL as the CC Bears.

Here is the video on the Mighty Bears which gives the reason for the move, both financially and due to the market being closely linked to the Bears.

Starts about 43rd minute.

Edited by rlno1

37 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

Here is the video on the Mighty Bears which gives the reason for the move, both financially and due to the market being closely linked to the Bears.

Starts about 43rd minute.

Yeah, I spent some time growing up in Terrigal. The Bears were the overwhelming favourite club of the locals on the Central Coast. It’s a great shame the move was never completed. If it was, there would still be a Bears in the NRL today.

7 hours ago, eal said:

Bring back the Bears! I don't care where, as long as there are Bears!

You are Chris Packham and I claim my £5!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Big news coming out of the North Sydney Bears AGM, appears non-negotiables are down to two now: Partner club must retain Bears Red and Black colours, and must retain/incorporate history of the North Sydney Bears into the new club.

In addition it was mentioned that it would be desirable to have minimum one game a year at North Sydney oval.

The big concession made though was that it appears the North Sydney Bears Rugby League club are prepared now not to own the franchise or the license to the new NRL team. This was a big sticking point for potential partner bids due to concerns that the franchise might be undermined with a plan eventually to get the club back to North Sydney.

Another interesting development was that it was revealed that an official party from the W.A./Perth bid made a trip recently to Sydney to meet and discuss a joint venture. It also stated that the Bears are open to partnering with another entity, the most likely being a South Island New Zealand bid and that they must have plans for all contingencies - the hackneyed business term "nimble" was used - once the NRL reveal their preferred location for the new franchise.

Interesting times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Big news coming out of the North Sydney Bears AGM, appears non-negotiables are down to two now: Partner club must retain Bears Red and Black colours, and must retain/incorporate history of the North Sydney Bears into the new club.

In addition it was mentioned that it would be desirable to have minimum one game a year at North Sydney oval.

Must come a point where ties with the club formed in 1908 are so few and anachronistic, you wonder why any current Norths devotee would care.

Searching round for comparisons. Beyond anecdotal, never seen reliable info on how many fans at Swans games in Vic are from a South Melbourne background.

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Another interesting development was that it was revealed that an official party from the W.A./Perth bid made a trip recently to Sydney to meet and discuss a joint venture. It also stated that the Bears are open to partnering with another entity, the most likely being a South Island New Zealand bid and that they must have plans for all contingencies - the hackneyed business term "nimble" was used - once the NRL reveal their preferred location for the new franchise.

Cannot imagine the Bears partnering with a NZ bid. Colours would be a major double-edged sword on South Island. To give an idea of how closely this combo is identified with Canterbury, the CRL website runs a regular feature called "The Red and Black Report" chronicling the deeds of their local products in various comps across the ditch.

Best interpretation of "nimble" - the franchise will be a WA entity for all ownership intents and purposes. However, if financial problems ever became terminal, League Central have the option to reinstate North Sydney Bears, contingent on local market conditions.

For the life of me, I just don’t understand why the Bears are not focusing on their own project and bid to base themselves in Gosford as the CC Bears.

It would be a strong bid and be so much more relevant to North Sydney than any of these other ridiculous merged bids.

On 30/10/2023 at 06:05, Farmduck said:

I'm amazed it took Manly so long to get funding for the upgrades. A few years back, the NSW Premier was the Member for Manly and the PM was the Member for Warringah. I don't know how they failed to get funding back then.

Nobody likes Scott Penn. 

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

For the life of me, I just don’t understand why the Bears are not focusing on their own project and bid to base themselves in Gosford as the CC Bears.

It would be a strong bid and be so much more relevant to North Sydney than any of these other ridiculous merged bids.

I’m originally from the central coast and can tell you people there don’t identify with Sydney at all.

24 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’m originally from the central coast and can tell you people there don’t identify with Sydney at all.

I lived there as well and can tell you N Sydney Bears were the overwhelmingly most popular NSWRL side. I standby my comments, it is a very good fit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I lived there as well and can tell you N Sydney Bears were the overwhelmingly most popular NSWRL side. I standby my comments, it is a very good fit.

Mate we do not need any more NSW sides in the (Inter)National Rugby League.

The future is the Perth`s, the Christchurch`s, the Fiji`s, the P.N.G.`s, the Wellington`s et.al

Let the central coast be absorbed into an existing team`s pathways.

33 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Mate we do not need any more NSW sides in the (Inter)National Rugby League.

The future is the Perth`s, the Christchurch`s, the Fiji`s, the P.N.G.`s, the Wellington`s et.al

Let the central coast be absorbed into an existing team`s pathways.

Tell that to the European Super League, who want to keep the game in the four quadrants defined by the pennines and the M62.

• Haha 1