Canberra Raiders get their man

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Just checked the date and yes, as I thought, it's 1st April.🙂

Remember this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_World_Club_Championship

Mate, that was 26 years ago. The SL has moved on loads since then...

Our team that finished 3rd overall this season beat the NRL's best team of 3 years. That obviously means we have 2 more teams that would finish above them too!

NRL slacking.

• Haha 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

18 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think he'll go well if he can channel the s****house side of himself into something like controlled aggression(or Mongrel as they like to say in Aus) 

Always looks strong and fit which is a must there 

Good luck to him 

I will miss seeing the Number 13 shirt as the last one of the four tacklers on the pile.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Coco said:

I do enjoy Super League.  I like the fact that as a competition we are producing more and more players to go and play in the NRL.  Then another youngster arrives to replace them.  

That’s the best way to look at this. It’s difficult to stop players going to the NRL due to the money being offered but clubs can get transfer fees and invest in youth to replace them.

The lure of the NRL could be used to encourage children to take up the game in the first place

9 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

That’s the best way to look at this. It’s difficult to stop players going to the NRL due to the money being offered but clubs can get transfer fees and invest in youth to replace them.

The lure of the NRL could be used to encourage children to take up the game in the first place

Are the number of children increasing? or is that the clubs are investing more more in their youth set up, hence the competition is producing higher quality standard of players. The clubs are the ones to be congratulated on this.  The competition as a whole including the championship and league one should be congratulated on this.  They are producing results.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will miss seeing the Number 13 shirt as the last one of the four tacklers on the pile.

Never mind, at least you can console yourself with watching the Leigh number 13 shirt try and bend knees sideways and backwards in the tackle.

• Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

22 minutes ago, Coco said:

Are the number of children increasing? or is that the clubs are investing more more in their youth set up, hence the competition is producing higher quality standard of players. The clubs are the ones to be congratulated on this.  The competition as a whole including the championship and league one should be congratulated on this.  They are producing results.  

I think both approaches are needed. Investing more in the youth set ups and increasing playing numbers in the juniors. Wigan see the benefits of this as they are investing into developing the juniors in Lancashire and Cumbria 

10 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Didn't think Wigan were ever short of money to invest in youth. The trickle though from Wigan's seems to be increasing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Yeah the NRL is the top comp in the world but the gap between the two is often overstated. Both are top-quality comps with great talent. All of the top SL players would be top players in the NRL and vice versa. The NRL is just a faster game and there is a lot more money in the league and less disparity between the top and bottom sides. I'm an Aussie and I watch both, SL is a very talented comp. For reference, I would place the gap between the two leagues about the same as the gap between the premier league and Serie A. But Both well and truly first-grade comps, but one is wealthier and has a wider talent pool.

Super league is a great competition no doubt but I wouldn’t say ‘All of the top SL players would be top players in the NRL’.

For instance, do we really think guys like Brodie Croft, John Asiata, Edwin Mpape, Lachlan Lam just to name a few would be top level NRL players? Just like Jackson Hastings & Luke Thompson are not top nrl players (good players but not top level players imo).

I appreciate that the definition of ‘top NRL player’ differs from person to person. 

On 01/11/2023 at 04:16, graveyard johnny said:

and that's why they never win owt

Canberra won't win"owt" with Ricky Stuart in charge. If the aim of a NRL coach is to win a Premiership for your team Stuart is a record loser. Has not won one for the the past 20 years. Beats Bennett by a few years too!