I bought a Region 1 DVD copy of Paul McCartney's less than admired musical movie 'Give My Regards to Broad Street' on Ebay last week.

Widely considered a bit of a turkey, and a box office disaster back in 1984 when it was released, as a Macca fan I just fancied seeing it again and was surprised how hard it was to find, not being on any of the streaming services or available to buy or download either. 

I watched it last night. The plot is thin to non-existent, but the songs and musical set pieces are good. Ringo's in it too, along with most of the cast of The Bill, Tracey Ullman and the wrestler Giant Haystacks.

I don't feel like I wasted my money on the purchase. 😄

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I bought a Region 1 DVD copy of Paul McCartney's less than admired musical movie 'Give My Regards to Broad Street' on Ebay last week.

Widely considered a bit of a turkey, and a box office disaster back in 1984 when it was released, as a Macca fan I just fancied seeing it again and was surprised how hard it was to find, not being on any of the streaming services or available to buy or download either. 

I watched it last night. The plot is thin to non-existent, but the songs and musical set pieces are good. Ringo's in it too, along with most of the cast of The Bill, Tracey Ullman and the wrestler Giant Haystacks.

I don't feel like I wasted my money on the purchase. 😄

I haven't seen that in years. It felt a bit half thought out and doesn't quite come off, but still worth a watch. I'd completely forgotten Tracey Ullman was in it.

The only surviving fragment of Broad Street Station is the war memorial, now housed in its former neighbour Liverpool Street, plus there are a few bits of unused brickwork rotting away in Shoreditch where London Overground hasn't re-used them.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Recent purchases - replacement earpads for headphones, salted liquorice vodka, a green suede belt and a toilet seat.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A fancy rice cooker that’d be right at home in east Asia. It’s phenomenal! I have rice dishes 3 to 4 times a week for my evening meal so it’s already very useful. I buy a decent brand of Thai rice and it cooks it perfectly.

A couple of Fighting Fantasy books when I was feeling nostalgic about my childhood.

7 hours ago, Copa said:

A fancy rice cooker that’d be right at home in east Asia. It’s phenomenal! I have rice dishes 3 to 4 times a week for my evening meal so it’s already very useful. I buy a decent brand of Thai rice and it cooks it perfectly.

I've finally given in to temptation and ordered a rice cooker (a tiny one that I think I can find room for), to arrive on Saturday. After all, I'll be at home most of the day watching RL, so I'm unlikely to miss the delivery guy.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I've finally given in to temptation and ordered a rice cooker (a tiny one that I think I can find room for), to arrive on Saturday. After all, I'll be at home most of the day watching RL, so I'm unlikely to miss the delivery guy.

Hopefully you’re in an area that has a good range of rice. Everything changes once you discover quality rice.

I can put my slow cooker and new rice cooker on before I head out to work and I get home to a perfect meal. The rice cooker can cook the rice and keep it warm for 24 hours.

My other recent purchase is reusable silicon liners for my bamboo steamers. It’s made steaming dumplings so much easier and cleaner. It’s also good for steaming things like mushrooms and bok choy.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Copa said:

Hopefully you’re in an area that has a good range of rice. Everything changes once you discover quality rice.

I'll see what rice is available at the Wing Yip oriental supermarket down the road.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

A bottle of banana peel rum and a bottle of smoked tomato-infused balsamic vinegar.

Both are for Christmas/Birthday presents, so I may never find out if they are any good.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

A bottle of banana peel rum and a bottle of smoked tomato-infused balsamic vinegar.

Both are for Christmas/Birthday presents, so I may never find out if they are any good.

Also as a present, a cartoon by Moose Allain, which I need to get framed.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I seem to be sucked into a bulk buy online when stuff seems so cheap. I am, by default, in need of one of something, but often end up with a job lot. Recent purchases when I needed 1 or 2 units only:

Shoe laces (x6 pairs)

Ball pump needles (x20)

Bungs for the homebrew (x5)

Rings for chicken's legs (x12)

Am I one of the few remaining people on the planet - apart from my dog Alan, I think - that have never personally bought anything on line.   Therefore I do not have a Paypal account either.  Hooray!!!!   I have never paid a bill online and can’t be bothered to learn how to do it - my wife works in finance so she sorts all this out.  In addition I have no idea of the password my wife uses to sort out our bank accounts.  Doesn’t interest me at all.

All I need is my EFTPOS and Visa card and some cash - which came in very handy a couple of weeks ago when Optus crashed for 9 hours and those poor card dependent bu$$ers couldn’t pay for their mocha-mocha-wocka-chocka lattes.  Oh, I was distraught for them!

P.S. On the very, very odd occasion I cannot find what I want locally I do get one of my daughters to buy it online.  The last item my daughter got me online was a Flamengo football top a couple of years ago, as I wore this to a 50th birthday party for my mates wife who is an ardent Fluminese supporter - yes, she is Brazilian.

P.P.S As long as I die before my wife does - and she says that is eminently possible 😳 - then life is a doddle👍

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

I had a colleague at a previous job who never let his wife do anything to do with bank accounts or any other paperwork. He gave her a cash pittance for weekly housekeeping and that was it. A real charmer.

When he died, his widow didn't know how to do anything financial, and her brother-in-law exploited that to his personal benefit. She ended up losing the house and most of her husband's savings before she summed up the courage to seek help.

• Sad 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I had a colleague at a previous job who never let his wife do anything to do with bank accounts or any other paperwork. He gave her a cash pittance for weekly housekeeping and that was it. A real charmer.

When he died, his widow didn't know how to do anything financial, and her brother-in-law exploited that to his personal benefit. She ended up losing the house and most of her husband's savings before she summed up the courage to seek help.

When my father in law died the wife's mother didn't. Have a clue. Didn't even know how to pay the bills. Luckily for her she had some switched on and honest people to help her out.