New Zealand coach wants more games

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

The Australians simply won't do that though - by having all three State of Origin matches mid-week and no break in the NRL season they make sure that the dual qualified Pacific Island heritage players are available for Origin.

If they allow a break for Internationals, they risk those players playing for Tonga, Samoa, etc and that weakens Origin - they will not do it.

Is there any way of getting around this? What if the Origin squads are named first, and you can only be available for the international matches if you're not selected in those squads?

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Is there any way of getting around this? What if the Origin squads are named first, and you can only be available for the international matches if you're not selected in those squads?

It is ridiculous to take away a players choice like that.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

I would expect a little bit more due to migration, but the main goal is of course thee BBC1 viewer

what a success the viewership against Tonga has been, we have to replicate that

I think this might be more optimism than realism.

How many sports fans are watching BBC1 at 2:30pm on a Saturday afternoon? Certainly a lot more than a premier league game on Sky Sports at the weekend but BBC1 is always going to trump Sky Sports in terms of viewers. I suppose the big question is how would it do against another sporting event in the same slot. My guess is, not very well.

1 hour ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

I would expect a little bit more due to migration, but the main goal is of course thee BBC1 viewer

what a success the viewership against Tonga has been, we have to replicate that

Has it been a success? An average of 640,000 is a very poor number for sport broadcast on terrestrial TV, it's certainly not going to turn heads of other broadcasters to come in and pay money for it. The BBC may continue but it covers RL more as a license fee justification than a commercial operation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Damien said:

It is ridiculous to take away a players choice like that.

I agree it's not ideal. I was just trying to find a way of getting that second mid-season window.

You said that "the previous NRL administration was working towards" it, so what was their plan to overcome the 'Origin problem'?

4 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I agree it's not ideal. I was just trying to find a way of getting that second mid-season window.

You said that "the previous NRL administration was working towards" it, so what was their plan to overcome the 'Origin problem'?

The long term plan was to imcrease the then one standalone SOO and international weekend to three. 

51 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Can you imagine this in any other sport

Sorry Norway, Erling Haaland is not available for your world cup squad as City have a freindly vs Qatari All stars team........

Only RL treats internationals as a Joke

7 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Can you imagine this in any other sport

Sorry Norway, Erling Haaland is not available for your world cup squad as City have a freindly vs Qatari All stars team........

Only RL treats internationals as a Joke

I don't think it's fair to compare a Man City friendly with a powerhouse event like State of Origin, but sure I'm not wanting to prevent players from representing their national teams. I was simply asking if there are ways to get around the problem of Origin stopping there being a mid season window.

Because without that window, there won't be any international matches to stop players from playing in!

48 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Has it been a success? An average of 640,000 is a very poor number for sport broadcast on terrestrial TV, it's certainly not going to turn heads of other broadcasters to come in and pay money for it. The BBC may continue but it covers RL more as a license fee justification than a commercial operation.

For RL a great number and the reasons of the BBC are irrelevant....the sponsors will be happy compared to other RL visibility facts

have said this before - but - at one time I was wondering if  I would ever see us beat Aus again in my lifetime? - NOW - I am wondering if I will ever get to see us even play them!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

24 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

So providing Fiji win again would it not be a good idea to invite them over here next autumn for a 3 match serious? Just saying

Semi finalists at the 2008, 2013 and 2017 WCs but for some reason get overlooked in favour of Tonga and Samoa. 🤷🏼

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Firstly, can we afford to do that? Secondly, would the Aussies even want us there when they can play NZ, Samoa and Tonga? Samoa v Tonga is a match-up that has to happen, and I don't see them kicking NZ out of a 4 Nations.

Can England afford not to have some decent opposition? It’d be cheaper than hosting three of them over here

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Can England afford not to have some decent opposition? It’d be cheaper than hosting three of them over here

It's not about England - it's about what the RFL can afford. If they haven't made the money on this Tonga series that they were hoping for, that may have implications for future England activity. I wouldn't have a first clue about the numbers, but it would be fascinating to see the costs/profits from hosting a home test series, versus the potential costs of sending a team to Australia for an end-of-season tournament whilst not hosting any home Autumn internationals for 3 years' running (and consequently not generating and income from ticket sales).

10 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

It's not about England - it's about what the RFL can afford. If they haven't made the money on this Tonga series that they were hoping for, that may have implications for future England activity. I wouldn't have a first clue about the numbers, but it would be fascinating to see the costs/profits from hosting a home test series, versus the potential costs of sending a team to Australia for an end-of-season tournament whilst not hosting any home Autumn internationals for 3 years' running (and consequently not generating and income from ticket sales).

If they’re not making money this year v Tonga. I doubt they’ll make money v Wales, France or Ireland. Better to take the loss and have some proper competition 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but you won't convince even 5000 to watch England vs Jamaica, let alone what the attendance Jamaica vs Lebanon would be.

Over 7k watched England Knights vs Jamaica at Headingley in 2019...

• Like 1