1895 Cup Revamp

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know, but why not give them another opportunity to play league one or champ teams? 

Fewer Community clubs this year but 10 will survive to Round 3 on 10/11 feb and some could survive to Round 4 a fortnight later.

Probably enough  for them as the games are pre season ( NCL starts early march ) and many clubs will want to warm up with easier matches and traditional friendlies before their  own big kick off.

But as the saying goes ' never say never ' .......

This quote is from the RFL press release:

The first round of group fixtures in the AB Sundecks 1895 Cup will be played on the weekend of January 27-28. The remaining two rounds of group fixtures will be played in February, alternating with the early rounds of the Betfred Challenge Cup.

Just to be clear. In a group of three, this mean that each club plays just two group fixtures?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I want to see if the top NCL teams are as good as the weaker L1 teams, and I’d like to see them take on that challenge. 

Decent idea. With just 3 NCL teams we could make six groups of four, and give every club three weeks of fixtures before the league programme starts.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

This quote is from the RFL press release:

Just to be clear. In a group of three, this mean that each club plays just two group fixtures?

Yes and where there is a game between L1 and Championship clubs then the L1 club is at home. For example, I assume there will be a Cumbria group of Town, Haven & Barrow. Town will be at home to both of the other clubs, then I suppose its the toss of a coin to see who plays at home for the remaining Haven/ Barrow fixture. If a Championship club gets put into a group with 2 L1 clubs then they won't have a home match.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I want to see if the top NCL teams are as good as the weaker L1 teams, and I’d like to see them take on that challenge. 

Oh - OK.  Just to satisfy your curiosity then.🙄

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yes and where there is a game between L1 and Championship clubs then the L1 club is at home. For example, I assume there will be a Cumbria group of Town, Haven & Barrow. Town will be at home to both of the other clubs, then I suppose its the toss of a coin to see who plays at home for the remaining Haven/ Barrow fixture. If a Championship club gets put into a group with 2 L1 clubs then they won't have a home match.

I'd just say lower placed club at home.  Saves all that tossing.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not sure why you’re being so cantankerous, it’s obviously more than to satisfy my curiosity. 

Not as obvious as you think.

46 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yes. That may well give some L1 clubs with two home games and some Ch clubs with none, which I guess is the point if they're looking to recompense L1 clubs for their cra ppy schedule 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, donald said:

So basically whitehaven workington and barrow will be in the same group . Bit unfair town will get 2 home games and barrow or Haven will have 2 away games 

Deliberately in favour of the L1 sides.

• Like 1

The truth from Cornwall about why they are not in the cup:

During recent discussions among League 1 clubs about the proposed competition structure for 2024, Cornwall RLFC was asked by the collective if it would consider sitting out of the AB Sundecks 1895 Cup competition, for 2024 only, to ease the logistical burden for other League 1 clubs. The club felt that this decision would allow for a swifter resolution to be reached for the 2024 season structure and, after careful and considered deliberation, Cornwall RLFC has graciously agreed to the collectives request to not participate in the AB Sundecks 1895 Cup in 2024.

Commenting on this decision, Cornwall RLFC’s chief executive officer Rob Butland, said: “Cornwall RLFC is a club which has the expansion and development of rugby league at its core, and whilst our preference would have been to take part in the 1895 Cup in 2024, after discussions with our fellow clubs it was ultimately decided that with the interest of the wider game at heart we would agree to the request.

“We look forward to seeing everyone on the pitch in both the Betfred Challenge Cup and Betfred League 1 season next year.”

Club Statement: AB Sundecks 1895 Cup - Cornwall RLFC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, donald said:

So basically whitehaven workington and barrow will be in the same group . Bit unfair town will get 2 home games and barrow or Haven will have 2 away games 

That's to give Town some much needed revenue.