New drama

On 09/11/2023 at 19:10, Derwent said:

Their tenancy at the stadium ends on 1st December and the council haven’t yet decided to offer them a new lease. Might end up homeless.

What's the latest news here?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 minutes ago, del capo said:

Davidson is saying they've got a 12 month extension to their existing lease ( presumably therefore on the same 'no other income ' terms ) until they can sort themselves out.........

And presumably STILL not paying their rent dues.

Best to shoot it in the head now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Statement from Salford

The Club would like to provide an update in relation to developments to the situation with the Salford Stadium.

There remains confidence from the necessary parties that an agreement on the stadium could be reached in the first quarter of 2024.

Discussions remain ongoing surrounding a short-term agreement between the Club and Salford City Council in the mean time which we expect to have further clarity come the end of this month.

We’ll continue to provide updates on the full picture when appropriate to ensure supporters remain aware of the current state of play alongside the timelines that we are aware of.

We’d also like to note our thanks to those who have showed their unwavering support of late.

An agreement could be reached in the first quarter of 2024?

So come the end of this month, Further Clarity is expected of a short-term agreement between the club and the City Council

As I have said before Salford is my second team and I hope that they do find a resolution to this situation BUT come the first quarter of '24 what happens if an agreement can not be reached? 

Secondly, at the end of this month - even if there is an answer then - that is approx 6 weeks before the start of the season.

I honestly don't know the solution but what will happen if Salford cannot start the season, how long will it take for the governing bodies to make provision to replace them, what will SKY's take on the situation be if SL cannot fulfill its part of the contract, how long does this go on before a deadline is issued and has to be observed that Salford are required to make a statement that they will conclusively be able to start next season at the AJ Bell or make provisions that they will be playing their fixtures at some other compliant stadium.

5 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

This entire thread is a series of "should, might, probably" and no actual concrete developments.

The latest statement from SRD offers absolutely no change from the previous position.

Even if there was a stay of execution on the dame terms, that still means the club are in an agreement we already know they can't afford.

The only "positive" aspect is that they haven't already been turfed out of the offices they occupy.

47 minutes ago, dboy said:

The latest statement from SRD offers absolutely no change from the previous position.

Even if there was a stay of execution on the dame terms, that still means the club are in an agreement we already know they can't afford.

The only "positive" aspect is that they haven't already been turfed out of the offices they occupy.

I don't really engage in SL. I watch the cup finals and catch a game if it's on TV but that's it.

However it seems your wishing a club to fail. With RU clubs dropping like flies we as a game look like a better option. If Salford die we are in fact no better than them.

Surely for the benefit of the game we need clubs to survive especially outside of Yorkshire. In the 90s Leeds were a basket case. Now look at what they have. Just because Salford are struggling doesn't mean the fans and supporters of the game should be cast out due to what you think is bad business practice.

• Like 2

Quite the contrary.

I want a sport bursting with clubs who all contribute to the health of the game. If you can find any post where I've said I want SRD to fold, I'll delete my account immediately.

SRD are a basket case and they need to stop living off the tax payers of the community and hiding behind the sofa when the bills need paying.

On the issue of the fans/supporters suffering, clubs are businesses and live and die on that basis. Also, well worth pointing out that SRD claim to be fan-owned - their fans truly do own this!

Finally, it's not that I think it's a bad business model, it IS a bad business model. If they had paid their rent (ever), their landlord wouldn't be as unwilling to renew their tenancy.

Edited by dboy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

Quite the contrary.

I want a sport bursting with clubs who all contribute to the health of the game. If you can find any post where I've said I want SRD to fold, I'll delete my account immediately.

SRD are a basket case and they need to stop living off the tax payers of the community and hiding behind the sofa when the bills need paying.

On the issue of the fans/supporters suffering, clubs are businesses and live and die on that basis. Also, well worth pointing out that SRD claim to be fan-owned - their fans truly do own this!

Finally, it's not that I think it's a bad business model, it IS a bad business model. If they had paid their rent (ever), their landlord wouldn't be as unwilling to renew their tenancy.

Your hatred for Salford is actually funny 

23 minutes ago, dboy said:

Quite the contrary.

23 hours ago, dboy said:

And presumably STILL not paying their rent dues.

Best to shoot it in the head now.

Perhaps you can explain how you shoot it in the head  now without it folding?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Perhaps you can explain how you shoot it in the head  now without it folding?

Yes, you can stop the unsustainable business practices and make it live within its means.

Alternatively, you could await the inevitable financial failure and demote it to the lower division to rebuild properly.

Neither of those call for it to go bust, nor do I say I want it to go bust.

On the present course, It's going bust without any cosmic wishing from me.

Try again.

Edited by dboy

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

Yes, you can stop the unsustainable business practices and make it live within its means.

Alternatively, you could await the inevitable financial failure and demote it to the lower division to rebuild properly.

Neither of those call for it to go bust, nor do I say I want it to go bust.

On the present course, It's going bust without any cosmic wishing from me.

Try again.

Too shoot between the eyes would kill. Dead means no longer alive. You cannot kill something then resurrect it to live within it's means as the new entity is entirely different to the previous.

Unless your a necromancer, try again.

• Like 2

You'll have to do better than that.

At no point have I said I want SRD to fold, which was the accusation.

If SRD intend to continue on the same path as they are now, with the same business model, spending the rent money on players, you may as well shoot it now.

Do you understand the difference in those statements?

If it helps you comprehend - I want SRD to adopt a fair and sensible business model, that allows them to survive.

36 minutes ago, dboy said:

You'll have to do better than that.

At no point have I said I want SRD to fold, which was the accusation.

If SRD intend to continue on the same path as they are now, with the same business model, spending the rent money on players, you may as well shoot it now.

Do you understand the difference in those statements?

If it helps you comprehend - I want SRD to adopt a fair and sensible business model, that allows them to survive.

Now you have come around to a more positive view I'll bid you farewell.

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

You clearly do pal and it’s embarrassing. But you do what makes you happy 🤷‍♂️

It’s not clear at all he hates em. He’s consistently called out this club for some time as others have because it’s become patently obvious this was eventually going to happen. It’s a shell of a club, everything geared to the shop front. It looks good on Sky TV with clueless pundits talking them up but this was always simmering in the background. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

It’s not clear at all he hates em. He’s consistently called out this club for some time as others have because it’s become patently obvious this was eventually going to happen. It’s a shell of a club, everything geared to the shop front. It looks good on Sky TV with clueless pundits talking them up but this was always simmering in the background. 

Bit of a coincidence that you all seem to be wakey fans 🤷‍♂️ good luck with your season. We we see where Salford end up 

9 hours ago, Charlie said:

Bit of a coincidence that you all seem to be wakey fans 🤷‍♂️ good luck with your season. We we see where Salford end up 

I'm a Leeds fan, I know Wigan fans who have said similar too.

What has been most egregious has been Salford fans continually insisting "everything is fine" and that nobody can discuss the obvious financial train wreck the club has been heading towards for the past year at least. I remember disctinctly being told tha writing off the CVA debt during covid, essentially cancelling the payments to the Council, was a great idea and all part of a cunning plan! Its gaslighting everyone from what is clear and obvious.

Between an unaffordable wage bill, being in dire need of player sales, taking the local council for mugs (repeatedly), not paying anything like full rent, asking thr RFL for an advance on central funding for reasons we can only assume is standard cash flow related, and selling a bucket collection as "fan ownership", Salford are deluding themselves (and trying to delude everyone else) about their position and capabilities. Its not personal, its not "my club is better than your club" or "you cheated so we should have stayed up", its discussing reality.

Its ridiculous that fans are criticised for doing anything less than indulging this fantasy.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 4