NZ II Expansion Confirmed in Auckland

Who’d have thought it, the A-League would have a second NZ side before the NRL would.

They have managed to recruit US billionaire owner of the Las Vegas Knights and Bournemouth FC to head up a new A-League team to start in the 2024/25 season. 

It’s hard to fathom how such a sports entrepreneur and expansionist would see A-League as the pacific destination of his growing portfolio.

• Confused 1

I've googled soccer participation in New Zealand and pasted this: It might explain it.

More people play football than any other sport in New Zealand. Netball is the most popular women's sport, enjoying strong support from grassroots level right up to our world-leading national team, the Silver Ferns. Basketball is also a sport widely admired in New Zealand.14 Jul 2022

Football in New Zealand experiences sustained growth in participation through a focus on quality. More New Zealanders feature in the global professional game. All participants across our game indicate an increase in the quality of their experience as evidenced by Sport NZ's Voice of Participant survey.

Edited by HawkMan

Weird one but I imagine the level of investment is low and there is the whole dodging financial fair play rules for your main team that you can do as well if you have a secondary team or two.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I've googled soccer participation on New Zealand and pasted this:

More people play football than any other sport in New Zealand. Netball is the most popular women's sport, enjoying strong support from grassroots level right up to our world-leading national team, the Silver Ferns. Basketball is also a sport widely admired in New Zealand.14 Jul 2022

You could replace the words New Zealand with Australia and Silver Ferns with Diamonds and that statement would be accurate.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

You had me all excited then!

In the Football world the A-League and particularly New Zealand is a real dead end.

Yeah, sorry bout the click bait, but I thought it an interesting story in light NRL expansion is an ever present topic of discussion amongst Aussie RL circles.

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s hard to fathom how such a sports entrepreneur and expansionist would see A-League as the pacific destination of his growing portfolio.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

You had me all excited then!

In the Football world the A-League and particularly New Zealand is a real dead end.

City football group have a team there too, 2nd of their clubs? I think Melbourne Storm were involved in that one actually.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

City football group have a team there too, 2nd of their clubs? I think Melbourne Storm were involved in that one actually.

Third - I think NYC FC were ahead of Melbourne.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Google A league crowds for NZ. I rest my case

The attendance figures seem very similar to Super League ,Wellington isn't great tbf.

Club Total Average
Total: 197,999 8,250
SYDSYD
14,586 14,586
MVCMVC
39,475 13,158
ADLADL
33,044 11,015
WSWWSW
28,537 9,512
BRIBRI
7,688 7,688
MCYMCY
21,104 7,035
CCMCCM
13,630 6,815
PERPER
13,390 6,695
WELWEL
13,104 6,552
NEWNEW
5,166 5,166
MACMAC
5,865 2,933
WUNWUN
2,410 2,410
Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

The attendance figures seem very similar to Super League ,Wellington isn't great tbf.

Club Total Average
Total: 197,999 8,250
SYDSYD
14,586 14,586
MVCMVC
39,475 13,158
ADLADL
33,044 11,015
WSWWSW
28,537 9,512
BRIBRI
7,688 7,688
MCYMCY
21,104 7,035
CCMCCM
13,630 6,815
PERPER
13,390 6,695
WELWEL
13,104 6,552
NEWNEW
5,166 5,166
MACMAC
5,865 2,933
WUNWUN
2,410 2,410

Don't a lot of Aussies support Premiership clubs? Is it a similar situation to Ireland where domestic attendances aren't great but the general interest in soccer is very high? 

1 hour ago, Keith989 said:

Don't a lot of Aussies support Premiership clubs? Is it a similar situation to Ireland where domestic attendances aren't great but the general interest in soccer is very high? 

The FAI Cup Final attracted a crowd of over 43,000 at the Aviva Stadium  to see St. Pat's defeat Bohemians a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

5 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Yeah way more support for Prem than A-League. I wouldn't say general interest is very high though, you wouldn't expect someone to follow a soccer team like you would an NRL/AFL side, no ones ever asked me if ive been keeping up with the soccer results. Unless the Women's or Men's WC is on then that's all anyone here talks about for a month

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HartwoodHarvard said:

Yeah way more support for Prem than A-League. I wouldn't say general interest is very high though, you wouldn't expect someone to follow a soccer team like you would an NRL/AFL side, no ones ever asked me if ive been keeping up with the soccer results. Unless the Women's or Men's WC is on then that's all anyone here talks about for a month

I was shocked when I saw on the news the other night that the A-League comp had been running for several weeks, the lack of media coverage is quite astounding, and that`s from someone who reads two papers a day and watched the news on Tv.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I was shocked when I saw on the news the other night that the A-League comp had been running for several weeks, the lack of media coverage is quite astounding, and that`s from someone who reads two papers a day and watched the news on Tv.

I had no idea it was on until I read your post, and I read the media every day.

I now see they’re adding a second division! That’s brave for a cash strapped sport in a country with no P&R sporting culture. The travel costs for the second division clubs will be quite a financial hit.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

I now see they’re adding a second division! That’s brave for a cash strapped sport in a country with no P&R sporting culture. The travel costs for the second division clubs will be quite a financial hit.

Yeah got me thinking that maybe I`m just so tuned out of A-League that possibly there has been articles but they just haven`t registered when browsing through the sports` pages headlines. Very concerning for the soccer though that lack of cut through.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Who’d have thought it, the A-League would have a second NZ side before the NRL would.

They have managed to recruit US billionaire owner of the Las Vegas Knights and Bournemouth FC to head up a new A-League team to start in the 2024/25 season. 

SP I can`t always help but feel with your posts sometimes there is a little bit of schadenfreude towards Rugby League in this country, do you do the same on the fumbleball forums, probably not - there I`ll answer for you.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

I just checked. Average A-League attendance so far is 60% up on two seasons ago, and now at a level where it's close to Super League (8,500 v 9,200). So clearly some people know.

As I've said before, they do seem to have realised there is no benefit at all to paying over the odds for fading stars and seem more comfortable being mostly a development league. That plus the boost from AFC Champions League and internationals, providing they don't ever have another brain ache, should see them right for a while.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I was shocked when I saw on the news the other night that the A-League comp had been running for several weeks

1 hour ago, Copa said:

In my quiet moments @The Future is League  it`s the sort of future I dream of for rugby union in this country one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1