Interesting Interview with New Toulouse Chairman

43 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

A very good read. Interesting to see he doesn’t consider TO’s future at Ernest Wallon (too big!)

Which I agree with. Their old ground where the Elite team play, at its peak was a cauldron. I remember Widnes getting beaten there in the Challenge Cup several years back, great atmosphere. Stade Ernest Wallon is a great venue just too hig for TO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sadly my GCSE grade B from nearly 30 years ago doesn’t stretch to reading this 🇫🇷 

Current stadium too big, ideal is something around 8,000.

He’s been pestering the Marie (city) for better facilities away from matchdays. He says there’s a leak in the team gym - it rains inside.

Wants to unite the first team, elite team and U19s more - they seem pretty separate.

Wants more fans in so he can fully capitalise on merchandising opportunities. Many Toulouse people don’t even know about TO.

Hopes to sign an NRL halfback to replace Josh Ralph.

Bemoans the lack of game time for French players across rugby league - uses Cesar Rouge as an example. 

The club wasn’t ready for Super League or or off the field last season so he isn’t worried about more Championship exposure. It allows him time to professionalise more sectors of the club. 

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Which I agree with. Their old ground where the Elite team play, at its peak was a cauldron. I remember Widnes getting beaten there in the Challenge Cup several years back, great atmosphere. Stade Ernest Wallon is a great venue just too hig for TO. 

That game was 18 years ago - and I certainly would never describe the atmosphere there as a cauldron - more carnival like with food, drink, the band and so on. Minimes is no longer a viable option (and even back then it was not big enough for SL).  If not Ernest Wallon, it will be back to Blagnac I guess, which is probably the right size.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonM said:

That game was 18 years ago - and I certainly would never describe the atmosphere there as a cauldron - more carnival like with food, drink, the band and so on. Minimes is no longer a viable option (and even back then it was not big enough for SL).  If not Ernest Wallon, it will be back to Blagnac I guess, which is probably the right size.

TO will stay at Ernest wallon until they bild their own stadium with 8000 seats. That is what Olivier Dubois says. 

• Thanks 1

Shame that his new augmented budget didn't extend to rewarding the staff for this season. 

The team is unchanged. Where other teams have squads up to 30 and have been recruiting heavily, TO will stay pretty much unchanged for this season. I can't see more Elites other than Wail joining the first team so they will be stretched again to keep everyone fit. They've managed it for the last couple of years but players are getting older and need more careful management. 

Still, they will probably manage top 5 again... maybe. 

26 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Shame that his new augmented budget didn't extend to rewarding the staff for this season. 

The team is unchanged. Where other teams have squads up to 30 and have been recruiting heavily, TO will stay pretty much unchanged for this season. I can't see more Elites other than Wail joining the first team so they will be stretched again to keep everyone fit. They've managed it for the last couple of years but players are getting older and need more careful management. 

Still, they will probably manage top 5 again... maybe. 

I agree. Next season is gonna be much tougher for Toulouse.