French Rugby League Wonderkids

My Best Young Talents in France (Born 2002 and Later)

*I’m definitely not a French rugby league expert but these are the top guys I have observed, Also this list is ranked on potential not current Ability.

30.Anthony Barjou HK/WG
Avignon

29.Maxime Rostang HB
Avignon

28.Mateo Lacans HK
Lezignan

27.Baptiste Rodriguez LK
Toulouse

26.Audric Le Cam SR
Catalans

25.Julien Laporte HB
Catalans

24.Arthur Salles CE
Lezignan

23.Sacha Kouassi LK
Villeneuve 

22.Thiabut Marty CE
Lezignan

21.Benjamin Sinimale SR
Albi

20.Mathieu Pons WG
Saint Gaudens

19.Matis Dala’Asta HB
Limoux

18.Felix Aubry SR
Carcassonne 

17.Matteo Stefani CE
Toulouse

16.Guillaume Poulain CE
Villeneuve 

15.Loan Castano LK
Catalans

14.Baptiste Pourchi WG
Avignon

13.Stephane Guillon HK
Toulouse

12.Yanis Belmaaziz SR/LK
Limoux

11.Thomas Monclus HB
Lezignan

10.Justin Tropis CE
Toulouse

9.Guillermo Aispuro-Bichet SR
Catalans

8.Louis Grossmey* LK
South Sydney Rabbitohs

7.Yacine Ben Abdeslem HK
Catalans

6.Quinton Crunel FB
Limoux

5.Enzo Griffier CE
Sydney Roosters

4.Nolan Lopez-Buttignol HK
Carcassonne 

3.Wail Skoundri LK
Toulouse

2.Tanguy Zenon FB
Catalans

1.Cesar Rougé HB
Catalans

HM- 

HB Mathis Jammes, Limoux

HB Lenny Chachoua, Catalans

PR Mattheo Devisme, Toulouse (Not 100% sure of age)

SR Enzo Deltheil, Villeneuve

+ a heap of really talented players who I couldn’t fit

A lot of these boys are seriously talented and have big futures ahead of them. I’m really excited by this new generation and I hope we continue to see more and more Frenchmen in First Grade.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 10/12/2023 at 13:31, NRLandSL said:

*I’m definitely not a French rugby league expert but these are the top guys I have observed, Also this list is ranked on potential not current Ability.

30.Anthony Barjou HK/WG
Avignon

29.Maxime Rostang HB
Avignon

28.Mateo Lacans HK
Lezignan

27.Baptiste Rodriguez LK
Toulouse

26.Audric Le Cam SR
Catalans

25.Julien Laporte HB
Catalans

24.Arthur Salles CE
Lezignan

23.Sacha Kouassi LK
Villeneuve 

22.Thiabut Marty CE
Lezignan

21.Benjamin Sinimale SR
Albi

20.Mathieu Pons WG
Saint Gaudens

19.Matis Dala’Asta HB
Limoux

18.Felix Aubry SR
Carcassonne 

17.Matteo Stefani CE
Toulouse

16.Guillaume Poulain CE
Villeneuve 

15.Loan Castano LK
Catalans

14.Baptiste Pourchi WG
Avignon

13.Stephane Guillon HK
Toulouse

12.Yanis Belmaaziz SR/LK
Limoux

11.Thomas Monclus HB
Lezignan

10.Justin Tropis CE
Toulouse

Catalans

8.Louis Grossmey* LK
South Sydney Rabbitohs

7.Yacine Ben Abdeslem HK
Catalans

6.Quinton Crunel FB
Limoux

5.Enzo Griffier CE
Sydney Roosters

Carcassonne 

3.Wail Skoundri LK
Toulouse

2.Tanguy Zenon FB
Catalans

1.Cesar Rougé HB
Catalans

HM- 

HB Mathis Jammes, Limoux

A lot of these boys are seriously talented and have big futures ahead of them. I’m really excited by this new generation and I hope we continue to see more and more Frenchmen in First Grade.

So if your not a French RL expert,then how on earth have you come up with these rankings! Have you seen any of them play? Looks more like wishful thinking to me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

So if your not a French RL expert,then how on earth have you come up with these rankings! Have you seen any of them play? Looks more like wishful thinking to me.

Give him a break Kp. Maybe he’s watched some Elite 1 streams and wants to stimulate a bit of conversation around young players who he’s been impressed by.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

So if you’re not a French RL expert,then how on earth have you come up with these rankings! Have you seen any of them play? Looks more like wishful thinking to me.

I’ve watched a heap of Eite 1 already this season and have watched all of these boys play besides Griffier and The Avignon boys. I’d say I’m a much better judge than most, but there a few French people on this forums who know all the ins and outs of French rugby league, I’m just commenting I’m not one of them.

No one need to be disrespectful mate, your not the one making the lists, just belittling the person who did, I’m sure your not an expert in any area of rugby league mate.

I wouldn’t be making a list on the best young talents in French rugby league if I didn’t know what i was talking about. I was Just Commenting that I’m outsider looking in, I don’t speak French or live in France but these are the guys who have impressed me.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

We need some of these kids to move to other sl clubs help the development. Didn’t notice any props there which has been a weak front for the french 

Kouassi and Skoundri could definitely be regarded as props.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Kouassi and Skoundri could definitely be regarded as props.

I suppose so I like what I’ve seen of skoundri, only see. Kouassi a handful of times but he’s a big unit. Feel these guys could benefit from other sl club’s signing then. I’d definitely have a few at Salford (we need numbers) 

believe there’s a lad from one of the French pacific islands at Catalans this year and he’s a monster 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Charlie said:

I suppose so I like what I’ve seen of skoundri, only see. Kouassi a handful of times but he’s a big unit. Feel these guys could benefit from other sl club’s signing then. I’d definitely have a few at Salford (we need numbers) 

believe there’s a lad from one of the French pacific islands at Catalans this year and he’s a monster 

On the latter there’s also Hnaloan Budden at Saint Gaudens, he’s born in New Caledonia. He was playing Queensland Cup last year too.

New loose forward/prop at Villeneuve Mitch Revell, who has also come across from Queensland Cup, has one French grandparent and one Welsh grandparent. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

On the latter there’s also Hnaloan Budden at Saint Gaudens, he’s born in New Caledonia. He was playing Queensland Cup last year too.

New loose forward/prop at Villeneuve Mitch Revell, who has also come across from Queensland Cup, has one French grandparent and one Welsh grandparent. 

https://www.qrl.com.au/players/qrl-premiership/western-clydesdales/hnaloan-budden/

It's all perspective, the measure of who is an outstanding talent is only measured in the environment they play in, 3 of our leading clubs over here mop up most of the best talent available even as kids with the scholarships, but put them in a better standard and most don't make it.

Not at all saying that these highlighted would not eventually make it on a bigger stage, but there is a lot of expense involved in firstly giving them the opportunity to prove themselves, probably to much for clubs over here to invest in, especially when the priority of any spare is being invested off fieid these days.

Theo Fages springs to mind, unearth some like him and it would be money well spent, but didn't Theo's family (dad Pascal ex French International) pay his way over and he joined the Salford Academy, would be interested if any knows the proper story.

Edited by Harry Stottle

For someone like myself, with no knowledge of the french game, its Great to see a list of talented young french players, be a good point of reference when future french squads, Academy and full, are named

A similar thread a few year ago brought a young Justin Sangare to my attention, kept an eye on him with Toulouse and he ended up joining my team.

Good work NRLandSL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 17:44, Charlie said:

We need some of these kids to move to other sl clubs help the development. Didn’t notice any props there which has been a weak front for the french 

On 11/12/2023 at 21:41, Charlie said:

Can't get visas. Have to be in the top 25 paid players for a SL club to get a visa

1 hour ago, Stainesrover said:

I have noticed for a long time, how many french players with North Africa/Middle east surnames. Especially in the lower leagues. I know France has shed loads of Algerian/Tunisian immigrants. 

Just wondering if they could play for Thier heritage countries

Yes, and they have done previously.

• 3 months later...
On 12/12/2023 at 20:12, welshmagpie said:

Knew I'd seen the name somewhere before. Keighley have signed Mitch Revell for the remainder of 2024. Anyone know if he's any good and how he went in France? 

On 10/12/2023 at 13:31, NRLandSL said:

30.Anthony Barjou HK/WG
Avignon

29.Maxime Rostang HB
Avignon

28.Mateo Lacans HK
Lezignan

27.Baptiste Rodriguez LK
Toulouse

26.Audric Le Cam SR
Catalans

25.Julien Laporte HB
Catalans

24.Arthur Salles CE
Lezignan

23.Sacha Kouassi LK
Villeneuve 

22.Thiabut Marty CE
Lezignan

21.Benjamin Sinimale SR
Albi

20.Mathieu Pons WG
Saint Gaudens

19.Matis Dala’Asta HB
Limoux

18.Felix Aubry SR
Carcassonne 

17.Matteo Stefani CE
Toulouse

16.Guillaume Poulain CE
Villeneuve 

15.Loan Castano LK
Catalans

14.Baptiste Pourchi WG
Avignon

13.Stephane Guillon HK
Toulouse

12.Yanis Belmaaziz SR/LK
Limoux

11.Thomas Monclus HB
Lezignan

10.Justin Tropis CE
Toulouse

Catalans

8.Louis Grossmey* LK
South Sydney Rabbitohs

7.Yacine Ben Abdeslem HK
Catalans

6.Quinton Crunel FB
Limoux

5.Enzo Griffier CE
Sydney Roosters

Carcassonne 

3.Wail Skoundri LK
Toulouse

2.Tanguy Zenon FB
Catalans

1.Cesar Rougé HB
Catalans

HM- 

HB Mathis Jammes, Limoux

Could Joe Chan be added to that list?