Favourite player

clifford

I'm seen this on the main forum so I thought I run it here

As a boy my idols was Adrian Alexander and Bob Mordell.

Years later Alex was my rugby mentor advising me on how to conduct myself when I had Trials at Salford.

Later on it was Mick Worrall who became a friend in the later years.

So who was yours 

I'll stick my dads on, he isn't here any more but his uncle Herman was his first hero followed by Bernard Ganley.

36 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Got so many favourites for so many different reasons. But the one that really stands out for me is John Cogger. The epitome of a gutsy rugby league player. Can never ever remember him taking a backward step. If he ever had a bad game, I can't remember it. 

Lived on Lord Lane Failsworth when he was here

• Like 2

During his entire career at Sheddings, the clubs record versus my beloved Hornets was W 19 D 1 L 2.

Who he? that bloody Ganley fellow, who else. Maybe he was injured for those two losses.

Insofar as anyone we hated must be a favourite of yours it has to be the Maestro.

15 hours ago, clifford said:

So who was yours 

In my humble opinion, Bernard Ganley. Best in the world (as a goal kicker). And still talked about to this very day, after almost 70 years.

In later years, how about Bobby Irving, Martin Murphy, Charlie McAlister, Tiny Solomona ? ?

Truth is, there's been too many for me to list here. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

In my humble opinion, Bernard Ganley. Best in the world (as a goal kicker). And still talked about to this very day, after almost 70 years.

In later years, how about Bobby Irving, Martin Murphy, Charlie McAlister, Tiny Solomona ? ?

Truth is, there's been too many for me to list here. 

Hugh waddle, mal Graham, David topplis, Andy goodway, bob lindner, Terry flanagan, and many more great players 👍 

• Like 1

As Arthur says, too many top class players to list; it comes down to favourites from any given era. They might not have been the best- but they gave the best, if that makes sense. Martin Murphy was my first. Some of Wally Gibson’s dazzling runs were breathtaking. Some of Barrie Mac andJason Temu’s hits were earth shaking. I sat in front of some London based Aussies at Charlton before a test match at Wembley when we played London. They were whinging like hell every time Temu buried one if their own. ###### myself laughing. Tamghart having no regard for his or anyone else’s safety. Cogger. I could go on and on and on

• Like 1

As many people are saying here, it is so difficult to decide, but here are a few for me that haven't already been mentioned

David Liddiard, Paul "Knocker" Norton, Paul Round, Tommy Martin, Shane McMenemy, Steve Molloy & Chris Joynt

Recently we've had Kruise Leeming and Tyler Dupree who went on to greater things too.

Apologies in advance for all the other greats I've missed off.

• Like 1

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

A bit random but a couple from more recent times in Oldham's history:-

1) He'll never go down in history as Oldham's greatest player but as a "fan's favourite" for a couple of years I remember enjoying watching the battering ram that Jason Clegg, alright might have had a limited skill set but I just remember the crowds at matches getting excited every time he got the ball and watching him trying to bulldoze his way through the opposition. Always had the crowd willing him on and when he scored a try once under the posts at Boundary Park it was as if all the Oldham fans lost the plot for a few moments, he didn't score many tries but that was a belter LOL!!!!

2) Pat Rich, again not the greatest player ever to pull on a jersey but as a goal kicker it seemed he could stick them through the uprights from anywhere on the pitch. He seemed to hardly ever miss

We had some decent players throughout the Hamilton era, might not have been world beaters but gave their all for Oldham which is fine by me!  

• Like 3

In terms of quality probably Goodway pre wigan/leeds and back again ,but in terms of excitement when he had the ball in space was Des Foy for sheer speed,when he got away he was difficult to catch. Handling and defence was dodgy at times though 

• Like 3

O.R.L.F.C FOREVER!!

8 minutes ago, Bert Street said:

I think Goodway would have to be the best player I have seen.

Other favourites would include Cliff Hill and Shane Tupaea.

Paul Taylor, Peter walsh, i remember at widnes johnathon davis was playing his first match and walshy stiff armed him, widnes fan's went mad and it was good for us, the ref didn't see it ,and also in the same match walshy smacked joe grimma of all people who was about 2ft taller at play the ball. 

Paul Taylor, wow I was on Shaw market one day in the 1980s. Well I think Paul was living on Oak St Shaw at the time, so it was a great surprise to see him walking towards me. The guy with him was no other that one Peter Sterling. 

Two legends on little old Shaw Market, who would believe it.

• Like 4

Great to read the names of so many quality players….some before my time watching the Yeds but lots of familiar names I agree with.

it got me thinking to the best single performance I have seen from an Oldham player and I immediately think of Bobby Lindner when he was Oldham player/coach in an away game at St Helens.

Oldham facing relegation needed some big results at the season end and came up with a 26-30 win at Knowsley Road. No one player can win games but I remember walking away from the ground with the biggest smile, sore throat from shouting and completely in awe of the shift that Lindner put in that day. It was tiring just to watch 😅

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dennyroughyed said:

Great to read the names of so many quality players….some before my time watching the Yeds but lots of familiar names I agree with.

it got me thinking to the best single performance I have seen from an Oldham player and I immediately think of Bobby Lindner when he was Oldham player/coach in an away game at St Helens.

Oldham facing relegation needed some big results at the season end and came up with a 26-30 win at Knowsley Road. No one player can win games but I remember walking away from the ground with the biggest smile, sore throat from shouting and completely in awe of the shift that Lindner put in that day. It was tiring just to watch 😅

I remember that, and Bob Lindner shouting ‘Be strong, be strong,’ at the rest of the players. He was a real leader. 

• Like 1

Mick Worrall deserves a mention here, as do Ray Ashton & Paddy Kirwan. Great players in a very different era for the game. In the CH era, my favourites were John Hough, Keith Brennan, Danny Langtree, Lewis Palfrey, Richard Lepori, Lucas Onyango & Neil Roden.

• Like 4

To spice it up your least favourite player, this hopefully will be slightly easier.

For me its the New Zealander Craig Coyle. A decent lad but not for me also Bruce Clark

It has to be Charlie McCallister. I saw him as ANO at Wigan's Springfield park. He was unstoppable and it was a trait he carried on employing until Bishop stopped him with a deliberate foul breaking his jaw. I don't think he was even cautioned

Charlie was never the same player again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1