2024 attendance thread

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Why is the morale of the Giants fan base low? If you ask about them on here you are usually told they are going to be 'there or thereabouts' this year.

Apart from a few of us who are realistic most of our fans have probably started watching only recently, ie last 20 years, they were brought up watching good teams contaning the likes of Brough, Crabtree, Lunt/Drew, Hodgson, Robinson etc and saw us in cup finals, play off semi finals, top 3 of the league regularly so have this idea that we should be up there with the likes of Saints/Wigan/Wire/Leeds etc as the top dogs of British RL, because realistically we will never be that with the things that hold the club back they expect us to win everything every year and never lose a game so when we don't they throw their teddies out of the pram and demand everyone gets sacked and sulk and don't come and watch, in fact most of them don't anyway as seen by our crowd numbers.

They have this unrealistic view on our club that we are underachieving when the fact is we overachieved really between 2008-2015, we finished top of the league in 2013 and our crowds went down every season after that but yet those that have stopped coming say they won't come back till we win a trophy.....madness!!

They won't listen to reason, they expect a trophy every season despite us not winning one (LLS apart) since 1962.

They expect us to magically find money for NRL superstars when only 3,000 of them bother to buy a season card, they expect the players we do have, hard working and good squad players but not the most talented lads to produce 5 star performances every week and destroy all in front of us, because they don't they expect us to 'get rid of them' and replace them with a superstar player

Jeez our 'Fans' facebook page has 'legal' people keeping an eye on it due to the venom and downright bile that is posted on there, even when we win it's never good enough.

There's a small bunch of us who are realistic and don't have ridiculous expectations of our club but who use the correct channels to let the club know our concerns rather than just attacking individuals.

I speak to our club officials on an almost daily basis and i know how hard every single staff member of the club works as well as volunteers from the Supporters Association who chip in, it hurts them to read some of the stuff our so called fans write but yet offer no support whatsoever when the club really needs it.

I cringe reading some of the stuff, i'd love the club to have a magic wand or a fairy to grant 3 wishes but unfortunately they will never happen but some of our fans think this is exactly what the club should have!.

I'm happy to see the club stiill alive, i'm delighted when we win and content when we lose and put the effort in but findourselves not good enough on the day and like most fans if i feel the effort wasn't high enough i will criticise too but next day i'm back to being a supporter and doing my best for my club as a supporter, it's a shame others who claim to be don't!

Some of our fans are horrible, nasty people and their expectations and lack of them coming to the fore have made them like that.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Cheers Rob, knew it had been announced but couldn’t remember what it was. Would fairly safely predict that it’s Leigh’s biggest gate at an equivalent stage for donkey’s years. Presumably Craig Hall is eaglerly awaiting Fev’s share. 

He made a statement a few days ago that he has been paid.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Apart from a few of us who are realistic most of our fans have probably started watching only recently, ie last 20 years, they were brought up watching good teams contaning the likes of Brough, Crabtree, Lunt/Drew, Hodgson, Robinson etc and saw us in cup finals, play off semi finals, top 3 of the league regularly so have this idea that we should be up there with the likes of Saints/Wigan/Wire/Leeds etc as the top dogs of British RL, because realistically we will never be that with the things that hold the club back they expect us to win everything every year and never lose a game so when we don't they throw their teddies out of the pram and demand everyone gets sacked and sulk and don't come and watch, in fact most of them don't anyway as seen by our crowd numbers.

They have this unrealistic view on our club that we are underachieving when the fact is we overachieved really between 2008-2015, we finished top of the league in 2013 and our crowds went down every season after that but yet those that have stopped coming say they won't come back till we win a trophy.....madness!!

They won't listen to reason, they expect a trophy every season despite us not winning one (LLS apart) since 1962.

They expect us to magically find money for NRL superstars when only 3,000 of them bother to buy a season card, they expect the players we do have, hard working and good squad players but not the most talented lads to produce 5 star performances every week and destroy all in front of us, because they don't they expect us to 'get rid of them' and replace them with a superstar player

Jeez our 'Fans' facebook page has 'legal' people keeping an eye on it due to the venom and downright bile that is posted on there, even when we win it's never good enough.

There's a small bunch of us who are realistic and don't have ridiculous expectations of our club but who use the correct channels to let the club know our concerns rather than just attacking individuals.

I speak to our club officials on an almost daily basis and i know how hard every single staff member of the club works as well as volunteers from the Supporters Association who chip in, it hurts them to read some of the stuff our so called fans write but yet offer no support whatsoever when the club really needs it.

I cringe reading some of the stuff, i'd love the club to have a magic wand or a fairy to grant 3 wishes but unfortunately they will never happen but some of our fans think this is exactly what the club should have!.

I'm happy to see the club stiill alive, i'm delighted when we win and content when we lose and put the effort in but findourselves not good enough on the day and like most fans if i feel the effort wasn't high enough i will criticise too but next day i'm back to being a supporter and doing my best for my club as a supporter, it's a shame others who claim to be don't!

Some of our fans are horrible, nasty people and their expectations and lack of them coming to the fore have made them like that.

Must be Tarn fans as well!

On 21/03/2024 at 12:57, Sports Prophet said:

Bold prediction time to the nearest 1,000.

Panthers v Broncos: 18,500

Warriors v Raiders: 18,000

Rorters v Bunnies: 38,500

Doggies v Titans: 13,500

Drags v Cows: 14,000

Tiggers v Sharkies: 17,000

Eels v Seagles: 24,500

Knights v Storm: 21,500

the bold predictions were out by:

P v B -8%

W v R +4%

R v B +2%

D v T +12%

D v C +51% 😡 

T v S +6%

E v S +20%

K v S -2%

Dragons getting sub 10k through the gates is really bad.

Disappointing Eels couldn’t get a few more there too for a matchup against their old rivals from the Tooheys advert:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=Cmwwy_-eh6lyqWMs&v=6epsxQqn91M&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

the bold predictions were out by:

P v B -8%

W v R +4%

R v B +2%

D v T +12%

D v C +51% 😡 

T v S +6%

E v S +20%

K v S -2%

Dragons getting sub 10k through the gates is really bad.

Disappointing Eels couldn’t get a few more there too for a matchup against their old rivals from the Tooheys advert:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=Cmwwy_-eh6lyqWMs&v=6epsxQqn91M&feature=youtu.be

Dragons need to ditch kogarah for good and play all home games in Wollongong apart from maybe 1 against souths at either kogarah or alliance.

maybe the eels game was affected by a poor manly travelling fans?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, going for the corner said:

Dragons need to ditch kogarah for good and play all home games in Wollongong apart from maybe 1 against souths at either kogarah or alliance.

maybe the eels game was affected by a poor manly travelling fans?

Manly fans never travel well.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 21:53, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I think if you were creating a new sporting calendar from scratch and had a complete blank sheet of paper, nobody would come up with a straight knockout tournament anymore - there's just too much uncertainty around the fixtures. There's a reason that existing comps like the Champions League and RU European Cup, plus relatively new competitions like the IPL and The Hundred have gone done the group format route prior to knockouts. The only future I can see for the Challenge Cup is a group fixture format where it's included in the season tickets. It would definitely lose a lot of the romance, but it would seem to be a more pragmatic solution.

I suggested many years ago the need of the CC to move to a final 16 team group stage where the SL clubs join. Comprising 4 groups of 4 with three SL teams in each and one team in each group having come through the standard early KO phases.

Then whilst the 4 Championship clubs play in the CC, the 1895 Cup Fixtures could be played on the same weekend.

Post group stage you have four semi finalists. 

Assuming the group stage each team plays each other once only, then you have three weeks in groups stage, then semis where the RFL could sell the CC TV rights, guaranteeing the broadcaster the opportunity to televise 2 all SL CC ties each weekend over four weekends.

Bringing SL teams into the CC a round or two earlier to see them destroy Champ or Champ 1 clubs is not going to do anything to help increase the profile and crowds of CC fixtures.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, going for the corner said:

There are many who would agree with you on that point.

13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

There are many who would agree with you on that point.

Including (perhaps) Cronulla fans who might want their club to take advantage of such a situation and expand into St George territory?! 😉

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, daz39 said:

Jeez your not wrong. The Facebook comments are scandalous, absolutely boss eyed nonsense.

The fact Hull scored will be the point of criticism, and not the champagne stuff we scored at times.

As for our crowd - sure, the cup isn't well supported but 2pm on a Saturday is awful, frankly. Purely anecdotal but because of the timing my group of 7 was reduced to 2. Play that game on Sunday or Friday night, and the crowd is twice the size - and as the game wasn't on TV I am scratching my head as to why that time and date was picked. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I suggested many years ago the need of the CC to move to a final 16 team group stage where the SL clubs join. Comprising 4 groups of 4 with three SL teams in each and one team in each group having come through the standard early KO phases.

Then whilst the 4 Championship clubs play in the CC, the 1895 Cup Fixtures could be played on the same weekend.

Assuming the group stage each team plays each other once only, then you have three weeks in groups stage, then semis where the RFL could sell the CC TV rights, guaranteeing the broadcaster the opportunity to televise 2 all SL CC ties each weekend over four weekends.

Bringing SL teams into the CC a round or two earlier to see them destroy Champ or Champ 1 clubs is not going to do anything to help increase the profile and crowds of CC fixtures.

Fair view and you've posted s possible solution, but the flip is that a weaker championship side that does squeeze through then risks 3 thrashing, OK might run someone else tight. More importantly, with only top 1 of 4 going through many of these games will have nothing riding on them...

55 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think the opposite - the game is crying out for variety. This seems to be designed to deliver about 6 installments of the same fixture across the season.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Pathetic.

Is it though, it's about 30% of our average home crowd this season, i'm sure most SL clubs don't get much more above that percentage either.

20 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

In the late 19th century and 20th century, Knockout Cup competitions were the money spinners; its why we ended up with so many of them in loads of sports.

Things are different now it seems.

You have a point. I suspect the difference is in attitudes and practicalities. With professionalism, teams are more reluctant to accept that their run might come to an early end, denying them a number of games, for which read 'revenue earning opportunities'. What is funny, though, is that conversely, at the same time, having a playoff structure to decide a 'league' title, rather than just awarding it on points earned over the whole round-robin season, has crept into both Rugby codes and perhaps also other sports I don't follow closely.

46 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Which just goes to show what a waste of time this has become 

It’s higher than Halifax’s average if memory serves me right, and an 1,800 all-pay gate obviously turns over much more than a 1,500 gate with season tickets. If that’s grounds for it being a waste of time then I must be lost as I had a cracking afternoon despite the fairly one-sided scoreline. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Jeez your not wrong. The Facebook comments are scandalous, absolutely boss eyed nonsense.

The fact Hull scored will be the point of criticism, and not the champagne stuff we scored at times.

As for our crowd - sure, the cup isn't well supported but 2pm on a Saturday is awful, frankly. Purely anecdotal but because of the timing my group of 7 was reduced to 2. Play that game on Sunday or Friday night, and the crowd is twice the size - and as the game wasn't on TV I am scratching my head as to why that time and date was picked. 

5 regulars, including myself were at Barton Town v Emley at 2pm on Saturday. Baffling.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, meast said:

Isn't that a good crowd for Halifax? certainly above their average and I'd guess Catalans would have had their usual 4 supporters too?

I know of at least one Giants fan who was there with a penchant for all things Catalans. Dare say you know him! (Insert joke here about all Huddersfield fans knowing each other because there are so few etc)

• Like 1

Just in from a pulsating game at Spotland Stadium, where Hunslet came back from 0-10 down to edge League One rivals Rochdale Hornets 26-24. Only 448 present. A thriller that deserved a bigger audience.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, meast said:

Isn't that a good crowd for Halifax? certainly above their average and I'd guess Catalans would have had their usual 4 supporters too?

4 is right (Actually 3) rugby league fanatic from Yorkshire with his 2 daughters spoke to them at the Broncos.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1