Super League 2024 Media Etc (Merged Threads)

On 11/02/2024 at 04:46, Damien said:

On 15/02/2024 at 08:54, Damien said:

More advertising:

Excuse me Damien, just wanted to use these two posts to point out to @unapologetic pedantthat it seems that it`s not only the Australians these days who are dropping the rugby from the name and just referring to it as " League", and not even "The League".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Excuse me Damien, just wanted to use these two posts to point out to @unapologetic pedantthat it seems that it`s not only the Australians these days who are dropping the rugby from the name and just referring to it as " League", and not even "The League".

That was pointed out ages ago as the new marketing theme. It doesn't mean people use it, I've never met any RL fan that calls it League.

• Like 1

Very cool having the highlights on the BBC Sport app/page the morning after the game, that should be the standard.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

16 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

A shame that Sky won't allow tries to be shown on social media in game. Maybe tomorrow for the Super League + games?

Not sure that's absolutely right, Sky Sports RL tweeted the first Evalds try and the Lewis try during the game, as well as the red card incidents.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Not sure that's absolutely right, Sky Sports RL tweeted the first Evalds try and the Lewis try during the game, as well as the red card incidents.

I think Sky Sports can because they own the content. I did look to see if the Super League or HKR facebook pages made anything of the tries at the time but it seemed not. Hopefully that changes tonight. Posting tries in near real-time was supposed to be one benefit of that new content management package Super League signed up to.

44 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I think Sky Sports can because they own the content. I did look to see if the Super League or HKR facebook pages made anything of the tries at the time but it seemed not. Hopefully that changes tonight. Posting tries in near real-time was supposed to be one benefit of that new content management package Super League signed up to.

I see what you mean. I think I don't mind them being posted in one place per social media platform as that is going to increase the views on a single video rather than have dozens of options scattered everywhere. I think I also don't mind that being Sky as long as they are doing it quickly and that Super League and the clubs are sharing the video too.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

No highlights on the BBC website as far as I can see this morning. Hope the Hull derby wasn't a flash in the pan in that respect.

Can't see any either. I'm sure it was meant to be part of the deal that there would be. Maybe they are being included in the broadcast this evening ahead of being put on?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Found highlights, namely tries plus sin bin plus red card, on BBC. But worryingly, can't see them doing any promotion for their own live coverage of the game at 5pm today. Not on.main sports page. Not on RL section. Am I misunderstanding something or correct and right to be bothered by this?

#SLCasWig seems to be getting plenty of activity on Twitter - have IMG had a word about hashtag consistency?

Long overdue, if so.

So much RL social media gets dissipated by everyone stubbornly going off in their own direction.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

#SLCasWig seems to be getting plenty of activity on Twitter - have IMG had a word about hashtag consistency?

The equivalent wasn't being used on Thursday, I don't think, so hopefully it's improved.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

No-one knows what to use for Hull FC!

You've noticed that too!

On 16/02/2024 at 12:48, The Rocket said:

No objection to dropping "Rugby" from both "Rugby League" and "Rugby Union" in colloquial parlance.

Global befuddlement ensues when Aussies and Kiwis habitually drop "Union" from "Rugby Union". 

Last time I looked, NRL still stands for National Rugby League. Against that backdrop, phrases like "League and Rugby" will continue to melt the brains of the uninitiated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

No objection to dropping "Rugby" from both "Rugby League" and "Rugby Union" in colloquial parlance.

Global befuddlement ensues when Aussies and Kiwis habitually drop "Union" from "Rugby Union". 

Last time I looked, NRL still stands for National Rugby League. Against that backdrop, phrases like "League and Rugby" will continue to melt the brains of the uninitiated.

What really messes up internet searches is that many RU-playing countries around the world organise their game into "Leagues" and thus refer to their national competition as the *insert country* Rugby League..

It's not deliberate, but some search results need a bit of digging to find exactly which sport they are referring to.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Ironic isn`t it that union, that hotbed of capitalists and the `big end of town` should use a term that is normally associated with workers. Something from my experience they are normally only interested in crushing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

What really messes up internet searches is that many RU-playing countries around the world organise their game into "Leagues" and thus refer to their national competition as the *insert country* Rugby League..

It's not deliberate, but some search results need a bit of digging to find exactly which sport they are referring to.

If memory serves, Rugger Unions in GB were initially reluctant to say "League" when the ethos of soi-disant friendly club fixtures was vitiated. They played in a "Merit Table".

6 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If memory serves, Rugger Unions in GB were initially reluctant to say "League" when the ethos of soi-disant friendly club fixtures was vitiated. They played in a "Merit Table".

In the early days of the pre-split sport of Rugby, there was a lot of antagonism towards leagues in general. Especially if it meant venturing out of the Home Counties and getting both outplayed and belted into next week by a miner or docker who was clearly enjoying the experience far too much.

The Calcutta Cup was originally donated with the intention that it would be the trophy for a competitive league. The recipients didn't like the idea, so it became something that's awarded when England and Scotland play in the 6 Nations. Association Football embraced the league ladder concept, and that's when it started to outgrow Rugby.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson