51 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, but not to sound like AtlantisMan, the value in being on SSME must be higher than mant FTA channels. Its not the raw numbers, but the "quality of consumer". IE, SSME viewers have more money.

Quantity does have a limit in its value I guess

The BBC games will also be on Sky.

I mean, I’d rather be on BBC One but Three is hardly the wilderness.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, but not to sound like AtlantisMan, the value in being on SSME must be higher than mant FTA channels. Its not the raw numbers, but the "quality of consumer". IE, SSME viewers have more money.

Quantity does have a limit in its value I guess

I am temporarily without Sky TV so I fall into Atlantisman's category of half asleep after the pub.

I take great offence. 

It is true though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

They only have 15 games so it was always going to be sporadic, but anyone who watches sport in the BBC knows that the coverage is always sporadic, so I don't think that is a massive issue in that context. 

It will be interesting to see the numbers that come out of this, but we are told that younger audiences use iplayer and BBC Three is absolutely a channel aimed at youth. So maybe they are testing into these populations. 

Is there a sporting season that the BBC broadcasts live matches from week in, week out (whether at the same time/on the same channel or not)? No.

Even back in the days when the BBC had far more financial clout and attraction in the sports market, the norm was that Grandstand/Sunday Grandstand showed a variety of events every weekend, rather than the same things every time.

Now BBC3 is a broadcast channel again, following a few years as a streaming service, the channel's accessibility (or lack of it) is mainly in the minds of the consumers.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Now BBC3 is a broadcast channel again, following a few years as a streaming service, the channel's accessibility (or lack of it) is mainly in the minds of the consumers.

I can't see BBC3 SL audiences being as high as BBC2 audiences but I guess we'll see and I'll be delighted to be wrong.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The BBC games will also be on Sky.

I mean, I’d rather be on BBC One but Three is hardly the wilderness.

Sky all the way for me BBC is yesterday needs totally abolishing along with the licence fee.

In fact I'd bring back pirate radio much more fun 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I can't see BBC3 SL audiences being as high as BBC2 audiences but I guess we'll see and I'll be delighted to be wrong.

They won't be - the problem lies in the minds of the consumers, though.

Just like the drop-off from BBC1 to BBC2, despite the latter having been around since 1964.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Agreed. That's a problem for us.

It is also, as has been said earlier, a more popular channel for younger audiences - potential new eyes on the product, which every sport needs.

So there are pros as well as cons.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They won't be - the problem lies in the minds of the consumers, though.

Just like the drop-off from BBC1 to BBC2, despite the latter having been around since 1964.

Sort of. Tge reality is that the biggest shows will be on the primary channels, so it makes sense that viewers gravitate to those channels. 

On 24/02/2024 at 12:36, Tommygilf said:

IE, SSME viewers have more money.

Got a source for that? I thought there was a snobby perception that Sky Sports was "council estate TV"?

Looks like we have accepted a downgrade in terrestrial TV coverage (or not read the fine print) in exchange for better web coverage with highlights on BBC Sport.

I'm sure some will disagree, but not sure it is a great deal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Looks like we have accepted a downgrade in terrestrial TV coverage (or not read the fine print) in exchange for better web coverage with highlights on BBC Sport.

Pretty much my thoughts.

• Like 1

I would have watched the game on the Beeb last night (having watched most of the build-up on there), but I went over to Sky after the anthems on account of Newsum. I find his voice and gushy surges in delivery pretty uninspiring and strangely drab.

Edited by StandOffHalf

1 hour ago, Coggo said:

Poor.

19 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Apparently the WCC last year on C4 got 205k

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

Apparently the WCC last year on C4 got 205k

I put this on the match thread:

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I must admit, I don't think the Saturday late slot is a great one for sport, certainly ones like us. I know I was relegated to a second screen in the house as the family watched Saturday night family tv. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I must admit, I don't think the Saturday late slot is a great one for sport, certainly ones like us. I know I was relegated to a second screen in the house as the family watched Saturday night family tv. 

TNT had Arsenal v Newcastle as well - not sure why it was at 8pm rather than their usual midday slot.

That's what I suspect, on reflection, did for the Main Event numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Got a source for that? I thought there was a snobby perception that Sky Sports was "council estate TV"?

A premium subscription channel is "council estate TV"??

ITV daytime maybe, Channel 5 perhaps. Not Sky Sports with Golf, Cricket, F1 etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

TNT had Arsenal v Newcastle as well - not sure why it was at 8pm rather than their usual midday slot.

That's what I suspect, on reflection, did for the Main Event numbers.

There's a sort of gentleman's agreement with broadcasters that any team playing in Europe on Wednesday or later cannot be picked for a midday slot on Saturday, Arsenal were in Portugal losing to Porto so their game which  was TNT's pick was evening K.O.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1