Interest in Oldham in the media

sheddingswasus

15 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

I expect one is the result of the other.

Thanks a million Dave for all your work…a labour of love and now jilted it seems. Rugby league clubs need people like you….its what makes it ‘the greatest game’.

As for consultants….the rules of this website prevent me from saying what I really think. 

Well said Anita. Perhaps we can raise some of these questions at the next fans forum. Anyone know when the next one is? According to the Chairman they were supposed to be every 3 months or have I got that wrong?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

I expect one is the result of the other.

Thanks a million Dave for all your work…a labour of love and now jilted it seems. Rugby league clubs need people like you….its what makes it ‘the greatest game’.

As for consultants….the rules of this website prevent me from saying what I really think. 

I don't feel jilted to be honest.  The current ownership want to go in another direction and that's that.  I'm still involved.  The new ticket system this year is all me and I still run the online shop, albeit just the site, I don't physically deal with the products.

As for consultants and marketers.  Hmmmmm.

Added Just been strumming over the word jilted. Maybe I do feel like that lol 

Edited by Dave Naylor
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

I don't feel jilted to be honest.  The current ownership want to go in another direction and that's that.  I'm still involved.  The new ticket system this year is all me and I still run the online shop, albeit just the site, I don't physically deal with the products.

As for consultants and marketers.  Hmmmmm.

Added Just been strumming over the word jilted. Maybe I do feel like that lol 

I'm sure Mrs Naylor will be pleased you've been jilted! You've done a cracking job over the years, thanks Dave. 👍

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ultimate roughyed said:

I'm sure Mrs Naylor will be pleased you've been jilted! You've done a cracking job over the years, thanks Dave. 👍

I deserve a medal for tolerating Mrs Naylor's constant ear bashing. 

"You doing more work for nothing again???" 

"But it's like a hobby sweetheart!"

Anyway, my aim right from the very start was to inject some professionalism into the club.  My entire attitude to anything I engage with is, it's got to be right.  I don't like shoddy work.

I had an issue recently with a fan whose season ticket was missing.  I did a bit of detective work, found it, and posted it to him.  He lives a fair distance away.

He replied with "Thanks Dave, as efficient as ever".  I count that as a win.

• Like 11

15 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

A new website is on the way — so I'm told — however I'm not involved.  

The current site morphed out of the Dare to be Wise fan site I did a while back.  I'd designed that as a "What I'd do if I built a website for the club".  It's the only website in any division that uses its current software platform and literally every byte of code came from my keyboard.  It's super fast and I literally can't remember the last time it was down — I don't think it has been for years.  I monitor it like a hawk with various bits of automation.

Prior to the new owners coming on board I was at the planning stage of a new design.  The new site was going to take on board what I think works, change/ditch what I think doesn't and add some more fun bits.   I've now got lots of experience at running an RL website (I actually also manage several other websites both connected and unconnected with RL).  Oh yeah and we smashed the IMG figures by almost double.

Anyway, I've lovingly kept the current site updated to the best of my ability — as a labour of love — for the past six or seven years.  I've updated it from halfway up a mountain in Greece, sat cross-legged in front of the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury, from my hotel room in Manhattan, NYC, lying on the beach at Marbella and most recently from Waterstones Cafe at Bentalls Dept store in Kingston-on-Thames.

After one game, I was sat on the runway in an aircraft waiting to come home from a holiday.  I was able to download Murgy's images after a game just before we took off.  I processed the photos during the flight and prepared the match report.  As soon as we landed I pushed the update and it all appeared on the site before I got home.  

It works in such a way that it's easy for me to run a copy of it on my mobile devices and post news articles with images pretty darned quickly.  It's also super nerdy but hey-ho.

I hope the new website delivers something good for the club and fans.  It's going to be strange being on the outside.  I can't wait to critique it.

Hey Dave, I think you have done a wonderful job on the website over a number of years and always kept it relevant and up to date.

The website was always up to date and that's down to your dedication to the club. I know the club are looking to be at the forefront of media and they will have their own ideas of what that entails but, would involving you in setting up the new website spoilt any vast eternal plan? 

Hopefully, the club will reach out to you soon and look for your valuable input and not just rely on consultants.

Thanks for all you've done over the years.

• Like 4

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

8 minutes ago, delboy1 said:

I hope at the next Awards night. The wonderful service provided by Dave Naylor is properly recognised. A special award should be commissioned for him. Over to you ORLFC. 

Remember when I was awarded that Supporters Direct thing in 2016.  And then at the awards dinner, the previous owners took it off me and handed it back to me on stage.  I still laugh about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Just interested, have the club spoken to you about carrying on? If not. I thought the cry is "We are all in this together."

You have been the mainstay through all the years of ****.  Thanks Dave.

I DMd you Jim.

8 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

Remember when I was awarded that Supporters Direct thing in 2016.  And then at the awards dinner, the previous owners took it off me and handed it back to me on stage.  I still laugh about that.

Dark and strange days indeed. I hope the owners have you on board going forwards.

• Like 2

Hey all 

as far as I have found out firstly the board hold Dave in high regard, secondly they have kept Dave up to date at all times, I believe Dave is busy and is doing lots of other things with the club, so for him to not be doing one thing does not constitute this thread, if Dave has a problem with anything then I’m sure he would voice it to the club ? Has this happened I would ask ? 
let’s look at all the positives the new board has done and continue to do 

people are very quick to point fingers and make there minds up without the full picture.

• Like 2

Fantastic efforts Dave delivering a fantastic, up to date, professional website to be proud of.  Im sure we were the envy of a lot of RL clubs.  Thanks for your voluntary work on this, it's much appreciated by us fans 👏👏👏👏

• Like 3

Such a shame that your loyalty is not being recognised or respected by the club. Very disappointing to read - you have done a fantastic job Dave. 

@OLDHAM1876 given you are obviously close to the board. Can you tell us what is happening with Paga, Morgan, and Whittel? Hearing rumours that there are a few unhappy squad members? Is this the real reason Rawsthorne left, because he wasn’t getting a chance? 

We are definitely going places. Oldham is now run by professionals, has this ever happened in our entire history. Mike Ford has clearly learned from Rugby Union and he has brought savvy business people on board.

Yes it's far too early to say we are back, yet the foundation is being set, something that is lacking at most rugby league clubs, including those in super league. 

We get our marketing sorted, ie digital media , leaflet drops etc etc and we could take our beloved sport by storm.

Thanks again Mike and Bill and the rest of the team , exciting times await .

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Oldham123 said:

Such a shame that your loyalty is not being recognised or respected by the club. Very disappointing to read - you have done a fantastic job Dave. 

@OLDHAM1876 given you are obviously close to the board. Can you tell us what is happening with Paga, Morgan, and Whittel? Hearing rumours that there are a few unhappy squad members? Is this the real reason Rawsthorne left, because he wasn’t getting a chance? 

We havnt even started the league season yet and youre saying players havnt been given a chance?

• Like 5

I’m just asking a question, it’s been the same team every week and it seems like it’s all the players from last year getting left out which is a shame, similar to the situation with Dave, no one wants to see those who have been loyal to the club pushed aside 

Oldham 123

i ask you to check five games played and see who has played, no more to be said please read, nick has personal issues, please read news on website open and honest, regarding Dave you seem to struggle with your eye sight, it reads Dave is doing lots of other stuff for the club and is held in high regard

please tell me who is being pushed aside or jilted?

The new board has been here less than 12 months and have done more for fans and the profile of the club, bill quinn has put his hand in his pocket to bring in a team to be proud of and to pay for coaches for the fans, yet people on here want to jump at any chance to do them down, do you really support this club, I really hope they don’t read this thread. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Oldham123 said:

I’m just asking a question, it’s been the same team every week and it seems like it’s all the players from last year getting left out which is a shame, similar to the situation with Dave, no one wants to see those who have been loyal to the club pushed aside 

Last years players seriously under performed and most were released. Those that were retained were probably seen to have potential and would be good squad members.

As has been said we haven't even played a league game yet and are playing what most would consider our best team.

If they are fit and available I cannot imagine why you would drop the likes of Jordan Turner and Elijah Taylor to accommodate players from last year.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Oldham123 said:

At least 2 of the players you mentioned were in my opinion fortunate to be offered new contracts. Over hyped then started to believe their own publicity.

One player from last season was offered to stay but realised he wouldnt get many games so left to build experience.

Maybe the others could have done the same instead of ,as you allege ,moaning now.

On an earlier video, Nick Rawsthorne stated they were split into 2 teams in training. His words, an A & B team. Every one learns the same moves and drills and then have to slot into the team when needed. 

The B players as I see it got a chance against London and all performed well. 
I guess there will be days when the team is rotated.

Morgan will get a chance over the next two matches I assume although he could play Johnson centre and Tyrer wing. Who knows?  

Paga is a difficult one. We have two class half backs and two good hookers. So he will be there to cover injury to the half backs. 
Whittel will take his chance when plays bit the likes of him and George Hirst are probably on the fringes. 

With all these players when the chance comes around I am sure they will be trying their hardest and will be wanting to put themselves forward for a regular spot. 

We have some big cup ties in the next few weeks and then the league. Great times. 

• Like 2

OLDHAM 1876

The comments thanking Dave are not about negativity towards the board. We all understand progression. Dave has made that clear himself. The comments were about his selfless service. Many of us thank him for it. I for one stopped posting because of insiders like you criticising open debate. The forum is open to people to voice opinion whether you agree with it or not. Long live free speech and banter.

• Like 3

Was it ever thus! Back in the day we had the A team . Players would then be called accordingly. Charlie and Roundy being first choice second row, then when needed Newton and Allen would be called up. We have a 28 man squad, someone is going to lose out, it happens and to intimate that there is unrest , at this stage, is just daft.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 4