Is RL about to blow its big chance?

44 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Erm no - not on the basis of first few games. It’s soooo good to be back !

Absolutely; we haven't even had a whole first round yet and some are eagerly hunting for negatives.

What's the opposite phrase to "clutching at straws"?"

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Absolutely; we haven't even had a whole first round yet and some are eagerly hunting for negatives.

You think I was hunting for negatives with my OP? 

• Like 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

On 17/02/2024 at 17:25, Futtocks said:

Spot on. Think there should be a round - maybe 13 - fir when the moaners (and just them) can have a good blow out and moan away

I honestly don’t think this is moaning. The point in my OP was that coverage wise this is as good as we’ve ever had it in SL. IMG seem to be making a positive difference and fans are excited, engaged and coming thru the turnstiles. This good! We therefore need to capitalise on this and make sure that in a few weeks they don’t switch off.

I’ve watched 3 games this weekend and overall they’ve all been a bit average to be honest. But, cards will settle down, standard will no doubt improve from RD1 rustiness. My fear is that the product post rule changes won’t be as watchable and post 2025 rule changes will be even less so. Now, if the exposure we have recruits double the fans we lose then that’s a win. 

If I look online on X/Facebook/Insta there seems to be a general sentiment of positivity on the refreshing coverage but dismay at the product on the field. 

So, this isn’t about being a moaner.

• Like 3

On 17/02/2024 at 18:58, Odsal Outlaw said:

You think I was hunting for negatives with my OP? 

It isn't your post in isolation; it just adds to people eagerly looking for the apocalypse in highlights not appearing fast enough on the BBC Sport website, or a lack of build-up in newspapers that have always ignored us, or a commentator/pundit getting something innocently wrong, or quibbling about what constitutes an attendance sell-out, or saying the GF will be damaged by some RU game being on at the same time, or Zak Hardaker being Zak Hardaker, or Joey Manu chasing the money, or the re-heated Tramadol story, or John Wilkin expressing his own opinion, or an almost infinite number of moans.

Feel free to add any number of other "end days" omens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 16/02/2024 at 23:51, The 4 of Us said:

Purlease. From what understand the game was told “Sort it or else” on the eve of the season by insurers.  

It’s sorting it by making sure deliberate attacks to the head are appropriately dealt with.

It the sport didn’t, it wouldn’t be taking place this weekend.

The sport has always been 50% more aggressive that it ever needed to be, which is why social RL has never been a big thing until relatively recently.

The sport will be fine and better for it. Athletes knocking seven bells out of the opponents without the need to main each other. 

But Boxing and MMA is still okay ?

On 17/02/2024 at 00:01, The 4 of Us said:

Thereby distinguishing between non-deliberate and deliberate. Players will learn the consequences of both. 

Fine if your 5'8 but not if your 6'5....maybe we need to have only allow certain heights to play the game....Wokby League.

57 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It isn't your post in isolation; it just adds to people eagerly looking for the apocalypse in highlights not appearing fast enough on the BBC Sport website, or a lack of build-up in newspapers that have always ignored us, or a commentator/pundit getting something innocently wrong, or quibbling about what constitutes an attendance sell-out, or saying the GF will be damaged by some RU game being on at the same time, or Zak Hardaker being Zak Hardaker, or Joey Manu chasing the money, or the re-heated Tramadol story, or John Wilkin expressing his own opinion, or an almost infinite number of moans.

Feel free to add any number of other "end days" omens.

I never will switch of a game of Rugby both codes last night was the first time I ever did in Rugby League and the last time was the RWC Final of last year.....screw the Boks.

The NRL went through its own tackle height clampdown a couple of years back, without actually changing the laws. 

We saw a tremendous amount of cards for the next couple of weeks, but tackle technique improved and I think a little more leniency crept in. I think the NRL got it right by keeping the tackle height where it is pushing for a stricter application of the laws which prohibit head contact, which we already have.

I anticipate things will relax in the SL over the coming weeks also.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The NRL went through its own tackle height clampdown a couple of years back, without actually changing the laws. 

We saw a tremendous amount of cards for the next couple of weeks, but tackle technique improved and I think a little more leniency crept in. I think the NRL got it right by keeping the tackle height where it is pushing for a stricter application of the laws which prohibit head contact, which we already have.

Yes good point. That maybe would be the right balance to find for 2024.  But 2025 could be something else all together.  Interested for that Kangaroo series and how it will be reffed!

• Like 1

This is the issue with all the games being shown rather than 2 or 3 per round. The ‘games gone’ negative people have more hames to see to be negative about, tripling their negativity.

Don't know if it’s the same in other sports but some RL fans seem to think that every game has to be a classic or it’s going to put people off watching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Don't know if it’s the same in other sports but some RL fans seem to think that every game has to be a classic or it’s going to put people off watching.

You see a lot of the same negativity in other sporting fandoms but this is the one you really don't. I have never really heard elsewhere the belief that every game has to have jeopardy, or else it's a dead rubber, and that every game that isn't a classic or close is a disaster.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just playing to the Laws seems to have been difficult for uk players and also for the officials, when it’s so obvious.  

• Like 1

More bothered about the players than the rules or officials.

Waving at refs, holding their faces at any sense of contact and so on. If players got on with playing the game, rather than the ref, the spectacle would be much better. Been the case for years now sadly.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, phiggins said:

More bothered about the players than the rules or officials.

Waving at refs, holding their faces at any sense of contact and so on. If players got on with playing the game, rather than the ref, the spectacle would be much better. Been the case for years now sadly.

Copying of the Union lot.

On 16/02/2024 at 23:56, Odsal Outlaw said:

I don’t know that I fully get this argument that the sport had to change as much as it is doing. How do UFC, Boxing, NFL manage to retain the aggression? Surely it’s about ensuring people know what they sign up to.

Fair enough if there needs to be a sanitisation at younger age groups. But I think the RFL are being very risk averse.

However, I guess my main point in OP really was whether the game is now more or less attractive. At this moment to me it is a less attractive product. 

The objective of UFC and Boxing is to injure your opponent. The objective of Rugby League is to score points. That's the fundamental difference there.

Then coming to the NFL, if anything they have gone even further: As well as changes to law interpretations in real games, they've placed severe limitations to contact and collisions in training (where it seems most damage is done, proportionally, in a player's career), which if applied here would similarly see people up in arms. 

We don't have much choice. I do agree however that it would be far better if SL and the NRL were aligned in these changes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

This is the issue with all the games being shown rather than 2 or 3 per round. The ‘games gone’ negative people have more hames to see to be negative about, tripling their negativity.

Precisely this. If every game was a classic, then a classic wouldn't stand out, and so wouldn't be a classic..!

People want as competitive a game as possible, most of the time. Both teams being "in it" with a quarter of the game to go is the single biggest correlator with audience satisfaction in most sports, that's what all the research shows. Exceptional moments are enjoyed for what they are, but not expected as a norm.  

If you watch this tackle I struggle to see how you can conclude that the “game’s gone” or that this or next seasons tackle laws will reduce the physicality and enjoyment of the game

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LeeF said:

If you watch this tackle I struggle to see how you can conclude that the “game’s gone” or that this or next seasons tackle laws will reduce the physicality and enjoyment of the game

Do you think that tackle will fall into the foul category next year?

As the law is written, I would hope not but a freeze frame on contact shows that it is very similar to one's being shown as illegal in the RFL video - i.e. chest on chest and the head of the tackler close to the head of the tackled player.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As the law is written, I would hope not but a freeze frame on contact shows that it is very similar to one's being shown as illegal in the RFL video - i.e. chest on chest and the head of the tackler close to the head of the tackled player.

Yes, that would be an illegal tackle next season given the position of the tackler left arm on the ball carriers right shoulder. It would just result in a penalty though rather than a card and no doubt a outcry from players on social media saying the game has gone.

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The arms are clearly below the armpit, play on.

If not, the game's gone 😉

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yes, that would be an illegal tackle next season given the position of the tackler left arm on the ball carriers right shoulder. It would just result in a penalty though rather than a card and no doubt a outcry from players on social media saying the game has gone.

Well, I don't want to be molodramtic.

But if that becomes an illegal tackle then the game I grew up with, have played and watched for amlost 40 years will have gone.

I just hope the one we replace it with is just as good.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well, I don't want to be molodramtic.

But if that becomes an illegal tackle then the game I grew up with, have played and watched for amlost 40 years will have gone.

I just hope the one we replace it with is just as good.

Yes, I think most people would have major issues if that tackle was deemed illegal. The fact that official channels are praising it and highlighting it for promotion says it all. Tackles like that are a key selling point of our game.

For me it is below the armpit and should not be illegal. By the RFLs message at the time it shouldn't be either. However that same message was completely contradictory to the video examples they gave which would certainly be analogous to this.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

No I don’t based on what I’ve read from the RFL and various other sources.

As discussed ad nauseam on this forum the videos did seem to confuse matters and there was a disconnect between words and pictures. Your “very similar” comment is probably the key. Similar but not the same.