showing the other scores live updates

ok - so its all new showing all the games live and am sure most people can only watch one game at a time = with all the games now on -my thought last night were GREAT watch a game live at 8 then without knowing the result get up and watch another game on catch up/record in the morning -BUT no such luck - sky seem to feel the need to give regular score updates on all the other live games! updates people can get in seconds from their fone or laptop IF they want to know them - so basically all the games are on but you can only watch one without knowing the result making the others redundant for later viewing - could watch warr v cats tonite and save a bbc recording of the cas v wig match for tomorrow but will they ruin that option by showing the score? 

• Like 9

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, philipw said:

They’ve always kept viewers updated with scores from the  other games. I get what your saying,  it in the grand scheme of things, is it really THAT big of an issue?

well it just ruins any plans to watch another game a bit later- whats the point in having all the games on? if I record an NRL game from early morning to watch at a more convenient time - I dont look at the score before I put it on!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

ok - so its all new showing all the games live and am sure most people can only watch one game at a time = with all the games now on -my thought last night were GREAT watch a game live at 8 then without knowing the result get up and watch another game on catch up/record in the morning -BUT no such luck - sky seem to feel the need to give regular score updates on all the other live games! updates people can get in seconds from their fone or laptop IF they want to know them - so basically all the games are on but you can only watch one without knowing the result making the others redundant for later viewing - could watch warr v cats tonite and save a bbc recording of the cas v wig match for tomorrow but will they ruin that option by showing the score? 

If they didn't show the scores there'd only be another post moaning about the fact that they don't keep viewers updated on the other games.

Can't please all the people all the time. You're just unlucky to be in the wrong camp this time.

Keep your chin up though, your times coming around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

If they didn't show the scores there'd only be another post moaning about the fact that they don't keep viewers updated on the other games.

its easy to find out other scores these days - its not ceefax any more

• Like 3

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

its easy to find out other scores these days - its not ceefax any more

There will always people that don't care if there is an alternative, if it's not their chosen way, they will moan.

Agree with this, want to watch both games tonight but am much less inclined to do so if I know the result - I think it's probably going to drive down the catch up viewing figures.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Agree with this, want to watch both games tonight but am much less inclined to do so if I know the result - I think it's probably going to drive down the catch up viewing figures.

getting up on a sun morn to watch a game in peace with the paper and a coffee could be bliss but not knowing the score!

• Like 1

I agree with GJ*. 

This being a whole new era of SL broadcasting, they might be open to (polite) feedback along the lines of "if I don't hear the other match results in the commentary, I'd be more likely to watch more of your output, which would benefit both of us."

* it must have been something I ate.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I agree with GJ*. 

This being a whole new era of SL broadcasting, they might be open to (polite) feedback along the lines of "if I don't hear the other match results in the commentary, I'd be more likely to watch more of your output, which would benefit both of us."

I have sympathy for GYJ's opening post.  You put it well, Futtocks (as you usually do).  I might offer some feedback to Sky.  They could even do the BBC News just before MOTD trick of saying, "If you don't want to know the score, look away now"  If they chose their time to do that suitably, we wouldn't miss any action.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I agree with GJ*. 

I agree. This is a new way of doing things, we shouldn't be giving spoilers for games like that. It doesn't make sense in this new model. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree. This is a new way of doing things, we shouldn't be giving spoilers for games like that. It doesn't make sense in this new model. 

There will be a period of adjustment with commentary and also, I hope, kick-off times.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, philipw said:

They’ve always kept viewers updated with scores from the  other games. I get what your saying,  it in the grand scheme of things, is it really THAT big of an issue?

Indeed, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I personally don't see the issue.

• Like 1

Having score updates on same-time kick-offs isn't going to encourage viewership of full-game repeats.

I like watching live if possible, so I have just flicked between games last night and today. Having them on at the same time and telling us what's going on elsewhere kind of encourages this channel-hopping.

I feel sorry for those who want to watch the other games as live later on.

Edited by StandOffHalf

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I personally don't see the issue.

In this model, I think there'll be some people recording and watching one game after the other, as Sky are showing both games, I think it makes sense to hold off. If people want to know the score, they can literally press one button and get a live shot. 

I don't think updates give any value now the games are on live. Previously I think it made sense, not now. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I'd have watched the other three games as live, if the updates weren't on-screen last night and today.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

They weren’t today were they?

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, what with all the channel-hopping and graphics. I think the Sky coverage from Cas had the score from Perpignan popping up throughout.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

In this model, I think there'll be some people recording and watching one game after the other, as Sky are showing both games, I think it makes sense to hold off. If people want to know the score, they can literally press one button and get a live shot. 

I don't think updates give any value now the games are on live. Previously I think it made sense, not now. 

As I said I personally don't see the issue. When watching any sport I would expect to be kept up to date with scores from elsewhere, whether I want to watch that match again or not. I consider it perfectly normal. Not everyone is going to be watching multiple matches.

For me this is a personal preference thing and there is no right or wrong. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

As I said I personally don't see the issue. When watching any sport I would expect to be kept up to date with scores from elsewhere, whether I want to watch that match again or not. I consider it perfectly normal. Not everyone is going to be watching multiple matches.

For me this is a personal preference thing and there is no right or wrong. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The big difference is that this is a rather new model for the UK sports market. 

My personal view is I see little benefit of giving other scores, whereas there is clear downside. Surely Sky want fans to watch both games. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I didn’t see it, but may have missed it

The commentator on the Wire game kept giving the Wigan score. I was watching both and at different stages, and heard a score update and about the red card before they happened. 

No issue at all with giving score updates. Makes perfect sense when watching live. One thing I do think is a bit of a miss is that Sky seem to only be showing full match reruns for the Leigh and Saints games rather than having the 15 minute highlights shows. Although admittedly they’ve got 3-5 minutes highlights on the red button (second sport in the list, btw!) which is decent enough. I’ve never quite got my head round watching full game reruns rather than highlights but each to their own. 

• Like 1