Brits in the NRL: 2024 Edition

I'm not sure Hodgson will get any game time this year.  He's not in the Manly top 30 squad and I think there are plenty ahead of him at #1.  Manly would need to suffer a pretty deep injury list for him to be considered.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

31 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not sure Hodgson will get any game time this year.  He's not in the Manly top 30 squad and I think there are plenty ahead of him at #1.  Manly would need to suffer a pretty deep injury list for him to be considered.

I doubt he would be selected at fullback for all of pre-season if he wasn't to get any game time. He's had some terrible injuries but he is still a great talent with loads of potential, Manly would be silly not to play him.

57 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I doubt he would be selected at fullback for all of pre-season if he wasn't to get any game time. He's had some terrible injuries but he is still a great talent with loads of potential, Manly would be silly not to play him.

I would be delighted to see Hodgson get a chance.

But 'all of pre-season' is a stretch as the entire first team squad is on its way to Vegas for NRL Round 1 so not availabe for the pre-season round 2.

In Round 1 of pre-season Tom Trbojevic didn't play and neither did Reuben Garrick who is the back up #1 and Tolu Koula who is probably next in line.

As I say, I hope he gets a chance but surely he would have been named in the Sea Eagles top 30 if he was on the radar barring an injury crisis.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Agreed . Unfortunately he just seems to lightweight and behind the 8 ball physically for that level 

On 20/02/2024 at 09:07, Dunbar said:

I would be delighted to see Hodgson get a chance.

But 'all of pre-season' is a stretch as the entire first team squad is on its way to Vegas for NRL Round 1 so not availabe for the pre-season round 2.

In Round 1 of pre-season Tom Trbojevic didn't play and neither did Reuben Garrick who is the back up #1 and Tolu Koula who is probably next in line.

As I say, I hope he gets a chance but surely he would have been named in the Sea Eagles top 30 if he was on the radar barring an injury crisis.

Ah fair point - didn't consider how the Vegas game would have impact on week 2 of pre-season 

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 10:04, DavidM said:

Agreed . Unfortunately he just seems to lightweight and behind the 8 ball physically for that level 

Not sure I agree with that - there are plenty of smaller players that have got gigs at FB in the NRL. Whether he'd good enough is a different matter but physical attributes wise, he's just fine. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

BIGHEAD HERBIE

Herbie Farnworth’s ascension to the hottest player in the NRL has gone to his head – according to his Dolphins teammates.

Farnworth was last week ranked No. 1 in The NRL Roast’s Hottest 100 of 2024 poll, pipping Broncos trio Reece Walsh, Jordan Riki and Pat Carrigan.

And Farnworth hasn’t missed the results, according to Dolphins halfback Sean O’Sullivan.

He`s been non-stop,” O’Sullivan said with a laugh.

“I had breakfast with him the other day and the first thing he said was ‘number one’ and showed me.

“He’s been getting into Jordan Riki because he was fourth. Herbie has been sending him non-stop texts.

“He didn’t need his ego boosted but they definitely did that.”

The Dolphins will put up with Farnworth’s boasting if he continues his hot form with his new club this year.

All in good fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

BIGHEAD HERBIE

Herbie Farnworth’s ascension to the hottest player in the NRL has gone to his head – according to his Dolphins teammates.

Farnworth was last week ranked No. 1 in The NRL Roast’s Hottest 100 of 2024 poll, pipping Broncos trio Reece Walsh, Jordan Riki and Pat Carrigan.

And Farnworth hasn’t missed the results, according to Dolphins halfback Sean O’Sullivan.

He`s been non-stop,” O’Sullivan said with a laugh.

“I had breakfast with him the other day and the first thing he said was ‘number one’ and showed me.

“He’s been getting into Jordan Riki because he was fourth. Herbie has been sending him non-stop texts.

“He didn’t need his ego boosted but they definitely did that.”

The Dolphins will put up with Farnworth’s boasting if he continues his hot form with his new club this year.

All in good fun.

It was always a risk young Herbie going over in his formative years and picking up the garish Australian personality traits.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It was always a risk young Herbie going over in his formative years and picking up the garish Australian personality traits.

Perhaps there is something in the rumours that an application for citizenship is in the offing, he really does seem to be at home here, be a certainty for an Origin spot as well.

35 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Perhaps there is something in the rumours that an application for citizenship is in the offing, he really does seem to be at home here, be a certainty for an Origin spot as well.

Does he meet U/12 SOO criteria? As an English centre, he wouldn’t qualify either I don’t think. Citizen or not. Great player. Happy to see him miss out on Origin and remain a great English centre.

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Does he meet U/12 SOO criteria? As an English centre, he wouldn’t qualify either I don’t think. Citizen or not. Great player. Happy to see him miss out on Origin and remain a great English centre.

Not eligible for Origin, moved at 17 or so from memory.

25 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I can`t see how they could stop him if he is Australian and declares that he wants to play for Australia, even if it is only so he gets the opportunity to play Origin with his Qld mates.

Edited by The Rocket

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I can`t see how they could stop him if he is Australian and declares that he wants to play for Australia, even if it is only so he gets the opportunity to play Origin with his Qld mates.

I assumed your previous post was tongue in cheek, fishing for some bites.

If not: citizenship is irrelevant to international qualification and (I believe) to the ARLC's rules for Origin. International qualification is based solely on place of birth, parents/grandparents place of birth and residency.

Although residency would have been an option, having already played for England Farnworth is permanently ruled out of playing for Australia or Queensland (unless they change the rules).

There could be other reasons to seek Australian citizenship, but international or origin qualification isn't one of them.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Can’t happen now unless they completely change the rules for him. He would have been eligible for Australia on residency at one stage but locked to England for tier 1 now. Even if he had played for Australia he still wouldn’t meet Origin criteria, didn’t move over before his 13th birthday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

A Player can only ever elect to represent one (1) Tier One Nation. A Player cannot change eligibility from one Tier One Nation to another Tier One Nation.

https://www.intrl.sport/media/2wkkftdm/irl-eligibility-rules-2020-to-publishpdf.pdf

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

As some have mentioned above, even if he spends every day for the rest of his playing career waking up to eat six weet-bix then makes himself Vegemite sandwiches for his lunchbox, throws in a lamington for afternoon tea and ends the day with a six pack of VB a Four-n-twenty drowned in dead horse and finished with a wedge of pavlova while all the time walking around with his Australian citizenship certificate in his shirt pocket over his heart, he still will not be eligible for Australia or then even more exclusive SOO sides under their respective eligibility laws.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

As some have mentioned above, even if he spends every day for the rest of his playing career waking up to eat six weet-bix then makes himself Vegemite sandwiches for his lunchbox, throws in a lamington for afternoon tea and ends the day with a six pack of VB a Four-n-twenty drowned in dead horse and finished with a wedge of pavlova while all the time walking around with his Australian citizenship certificate in his shirt pocket over his heart, he still will not be eligible for Australia or then even more exclusive SOO sides under their respective eligibility laws.

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is weet-bix!

• Haha 3

On 20/02/2024 at 08:58, NRLandSL said:

It's only gonna happen if Trbojevic goes down. Which is likely considering his injury history.

Even then you'd think Koula would slot in at fullback. Can't see Bailey playing on the wing or in the centre in the NRL.

48 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Pretty much everyone on the Newcastle team had a quiet game.

They were absolutely awful.

Smithies was solid in the first quarter for the Raiders today, good in defence and effort plays (as always) and threw a few nice link passes.

The commentary team were saying how pleased the Canberra coaches were with Smithies.  Will be keen to see if he gets the 13 jumper for Round 1.