JWH to HKR

Thirty six in January.

Almost old enough to have been born the last time Hull KR won anything.

• Haha 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

30 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Thirty six in January.

Almost old enough to have been born the last time Hull KR won anything.

You've no idea how hilarious it is to us that the delusional "big club" in the City hasn't won the league in [...checks notes...] forty-one years! 

It was so long ago even the photos are in black & white 🤣🤣🤣

Crooks Reflects On 1983 Championship Success - Hull FC News

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Worzel said:

You've no idea how hilarious it is to us that the delusional "big club" in the City hasn't won the league in [...checks notes...] forty-one years! 

It was so long ago even the photos are in black & white 🤣🤣🤣

Crooks Reflects On 1983 Championship Success - Hull FC News

Love that photo.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Oh i don't know.

On one hand, it's a horrific signing. He'll cost a fortune and hardly play due his fitness, cumulative wear and tear and disciplinary reasons. It's a pension pot for someone who will struggle this year to play substantial minutes. 

On t'other, he'll be great around the club as a senior player and a 'statement' signing of sorts.

I wouldnt be surprised if he retired mid way through the season, knackered.  

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Back on topic, I wasn't sure about this when the rumours first started, but on reflection I think it's a great move. JWH hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, so no reason to think he hasn't got one more good season in him, and let's be honest he's a regular in the NRL today which puts him ahead of most others in our comp in terms of quality.

He's friends with SKD, who sold him on coming, and Shaun has been key to creating our "work hard" culture and so I do trust him not to bring the wrong type of person to the club. Jared sounds like a grafter, and someone who sets a good example to others which is precisely what our younger forwards need. We've a good group coming through, and he can help with that.  

Finally, most of our recruitment strategy has been about younger players, rightly, and about retaining local talent. But at some point you've also got to focus on winning something today. This feels like a statement of intent for this squad maturing to become contenders for 2025. It also sends a message to others about where Rovers see themselves. Good players want to play with great players, and JWH might well help us get other people over the line for next season too. 

If it was 2 years I'd worry it was a pension-topping-up trip. But 1 year is "no downside, lots of upside" I think. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Worzel said:

You're welcome. Here's another. Can't remember who we played that day, but sure it'll come back to me 🤣

fullsizerender-2.jpg?resize=617%2C533&ssl=1

Not so keen on that one.

• Haha 3

Interesting stuff in this article here. Seems JWH wanted the 1 year deal to prove himself in the league, rather than signing up for 2, but it might well extend. Backs up what I was thinking, I like the mindset he seems to have about this.

I think one thing we don't all appreciate is how these days players make so much money in the NRL that they genuinely don't need to add on a couple of extra years for the cash. They're already set-up. Top-end players like JWH, or Mitchell Pearce, James Maloney etc likely really are coming for the different life experience and want to throw themselves into it. I mean Maloney even stayed an extra year in France to play for Lezignan in Elite One, fair play to him. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/inside-the-deal-how-hull-kr-pulled-off-the-signing-of-jared-waerea-hargreaves

He’s a big name signing but if shows where SL is at the moment that big name players from the NRL only come over at the end of their careers. 
I get much more satisfaction seeing young players come through into SL from academies rather than fringe NRL players or end of career NRL players 

31 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

He’s a big name signing but if shows where SL is at the moment that big name players from the NRL only come over at the end of their careers. 
I get much more satisfaction seeing young players come through into SL from academies rather than fringe NRL players or end of career NRL players 

This is a list of NRL players coming over to the Super League this year (I am sure there are more, but this is the list I could find).  The average age is 27 with only two over 30 years of age.  This excludes the British players from the NRL coming back this year who are all under 30. 

Matt Frawley (Leeds Rhinos)

Jayden Okunbor (Hull FC)

Franklin Pele (Hull FC)

Jayden Nikorima (Catalans Dragons)

Tariq Sims (Catalans Dragons)

Fa'amanu Brown (Hull FC)

Lachlan Fitzgibbon (Warrington Wolves)

Lachlan Miller (Leeds Rhinos)

Bayley Sironen (Catalans Dragons)

Peta Hiku (Hull KR)

Sylvester Namo (Castleford Tigers)

Jack Murchie (Huddersfield Giants)

Zane Musgrove (Warrington Wolves)

Thomas Deakin (Sydney Roosters)

Paul Momirovski (Leeds Rhinos)

Herman Ese'ese (Hull FC)

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is a list of NRL players coming over to the Super League this year (I am sure there are more, but this is the list I could find).  The average age is 27 with only two over 30 years of age.  This excludes the British players from the NRL coming back this year who are all under 30. 

Jayden Okunbor (Hull FC)

Franklin Pele (Hull FC)

Fa'amanu Brown (Hull FC)

Peta Hiku (Hull KR)

Herman Ese'ese (Hull FC)

None of those players are big names in the NRL though. Any big name players will only come at the end of their careers 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Worzel said:

Back on topic, I wasn't sure about this when the rumours first started, but on reflection I think it's a great move. JWH hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, so no reason to think he hasn't got one more good season in him, and let's be honest he's a regular in the NRL today which puts him ahead of most others in our comp in terms of quality.

He did. He really did. It was a semi regular topic on 360 et al. Robinson had to manage him throughout the season as he's knackered. Add in another season and then the British weather and i don't see him being anywhere near 80% fit for a prolonged period of time. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

39 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Jayden Okunbor (Hull FC)

Franklin Pele (Hull FC)

Fa'amanu Brown (Hull FC)

Peta Hiku (Hull KR)

Herman Ese'ese (Hull FC)

Not one of those players would be top 20/25 in their position. A worrying list from my perspective.

7 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Not one of those players would be top 20/25 in their position. A worrying list from my perspective.

Completely agree. Matt Frawley, for example, is just stopping Jack Sinfield playing more first team games

10 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Lachlan Fitzgibbon and Lachlan Miller would be and maybe Zane Musgrove.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris