SL USA/NRL America (Merged Threads)

• Gomersall changed the title to SL USA?

Steve Scanlan was involved in the New York bid for League One and failed purchase of the London Skolars... Not sure if he was also involved in the NARL (which had some of the NYC investors involved it), but doesn't have a great record so far.

• Thanks 1

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

7 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Steve Scanlan was involved in the New York bid for League One and failed purchase of the London Skolars... Not sure if he was also involved in the NARL (which had some of the NYC investors involved it), but doesn't have a great record so far.

Tbf if the super league clubs hadn’t voted to kick Wolfpack out as it wasn’t close enough to a junction of the M62, NY (and Ottawa) might have worked. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Tbf if the super league clubs hadn’t voted to kick Wolfpack out as it wasn’t close enough to a junction of the M62, NY (and Ottawa) might have worked. 

They kicked them out because they weren't paying their bills or their players.

It wasn't a particularly robust process but, to repeat, Toronto weren't paying people.

And they weren't paying people even before Covid.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Gomersall said:

$23m in Australian dollars presumably?

Just for comparison, Major League Cricket is a $1.5bn (Australian dollar) investment.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They kicked them out because they weren't paying their bills or their players.

It wasn't a particularly robust process but, to repeat, Toronto weren't paying people.

And they weren't paying people even before Covid.

That’s isn’t why the kicked them out though, they wouldn’t have kicked Salford (or whoever) out for not paying their bills. Plus they already had someone in place who was going to cover all of that, it was a convenient excuse. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

That’s isn’t why the kicked them out though, they wouldn’t have kicked Salford (or whoever) out for not paying their bills. Plus they already had someone in place who was going to cover all of that, it was a convenient excuse. 

It is sweet that you even remotely believe any of that.

Next up, can we do how a single team in Canada was going to break the US TV market?

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It is sweet that you even remotely believe any of that.

Next up, can we do how a single team in Canada was going to break the US TV market?

They already had 10k people going to watch their games, only 5 English teams manage that after 130 years. But carry on being patronising. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They already had 10k people going to watch their games,

And yet couldn't make ends meet.

It just gets very boring very quickly with people ignoring the whole bankrupt and not paying players side of things. It's a shame it didn't work but it really didn't work.

And to keep on topic: I'd be massively surprised if this small investment proposed by the NRL makes any difference to anything either.

Just now, gingerjon said:

And yet couldn't make ends meet.

It just gets very boring very quickly with people ignoring the whole bankrupt and not paying players side of things. It's a shame it didn't work but it really didn't work.

And to keep on topic: I'd be massively surprised if this small investment proposed by the NRL makes any difference to anything either.

I agree fully about the USA thing, just clickbait, the NRL don’t even want to expand within Australasia. 

However with regard to Toronto, what English clubs have been voted out if a league structure, in any sport, because they’re struggling to pay bills? Salford for example wouldn’t exist if the same approach was taken with them, and nor would countless football or Union clubs. As I said it was a convenient excuse. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

However with regard to Toronto, what English clubs have been voted out if a league structure, in any sport, because they’re struggling to pay bills? Salford for example wouldn’t exist if the same approach was taken with them, and nor would countless football or Union clubs. As I said it was a convenient excuse. 

Bury FC were expelled in 2019 just as the season was starting. London Irish in 2023.

There are probably others but those are the two I could think of off the top of my head.

I would agree with you that the RFL, in general, have not been firm enough with regards to clubs' financial positions. It's one of the reasons I approve of either ridiculously tough minimum standards, which we'll never seem to get, or licencing/grading.

Rugby League doesn't have the money necessary to make a serious go of it with a professional competition in the USA. Major League Rugby has struggled mightily, and cricket has required a billion-dollar investment from the Indian subcontinent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Bury FC were expelled in 2019 just as the season was starting. London Irish in 2023.

There are probably others but those are the two I could think of off the top of my head.

I would agree with you that the RFL, in general, have not been firm enough with regards to clubs' financial positions. It's one of the reasons I approve of either ridiculously tough minimum standards, which we'll never seem to get, or licencing/grading.

Those examples weren't voted out by the other clubs in their league...

Just like Leigh (and Bradford before them) got reduced central funding because the other clubs said so. Just like Toronto got zero. Just like Toulouse had to fund away travel of other clubs. Our clubs decide who is in and who is out, and who gets what.

• Like 3

The U.S.A. Is a rather busy professional sports market in to be investing into and hoping to crack in any sizeable way.

I think people also massively underestimate the popularity of the college teams.

I wish all ventures luck of course and want the Vegas thing to achieve success.

But again it is a very busy sports market and the audience demand the complete package in terms of entertainment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eal said:

Rugby League doesn't have the money necessary to make a serious go of it with a professional competition in the USA. Major League Rugby has struggled mightily, and cricket has required a billion-dollar investment from the Indian subcontinent.

There is a difference that rugby league is interesting to watch for neutrals, whereas Union and cricket aren’t, but agreed there is no way it would work and nor do I believe the NRL think it’s a viable proposition. 

Edited by Eddie

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

There is a difference that rugby league is interesting to watch for neutrals, whereas Union and cricket aren’t, but agreed there is no way it would work and nor do I believe the NRL think it’s a viable proposition. 

I'm not sure this is the most objective comment I've ever read. Living in the USA I have taken neutrals to live Union and Cricket games and they've enjoyed them. If neither of these sports appealed to neutrals they'd never grow at all.

• Like 2