Sat 2nd-Sun 3rd Mar: 1895 Cup Quarter Finals Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's 1895 Cup Quarter Final games here.

Please stick to discussing the matches and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

SATURDAY 2nd MAR

Wakefield Trinity v  Barrow Raiders KO 15:00

SUNDAY 3rd MAR

Bradford Bulls v Swinton Lions KO 15:00

Sheffield Eagles v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00

York Knights v Oldham KO 15:00

@John Drake or @ckn - Please could we get this one pinned?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

No streaming? It's a strange competition this one!

From memory, the broadcast rights were rolled in with the Championship deal on Premier Sports/ViaPlay for the last two years. With there being no Championship broadcast deal at present, no one is showing this either. I thought Sportsman might be interested.

Radio commentary - Wakefield v Barrow on BBC Radio Cumbria (available on BBC Sports website), Bradford v Swinton on West Yorkshire Rugby League Mixlr and York v Oldham on BBC Radio York (and via BBC Sports website).

Edited by Barley Mow

2 really early scores from Wakefield but since then Barrow have matched Trinity and were a bit unlucky to concede a late 3rd try off a flukey bounce.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

Wakefield 30-12 Barrow FT

Wakefield came out at a ridiculous pace to go 12-0 but after that their forwards seemed to tire a bit and Barrow competed very well and controlled a lot of game particularly in the second half. 

Wakefield had significantly better players in their spine and out wide hence were always a threat but Barrows scramble defence was very good. 

Barrow fans have come away pretty happy. I genuinely think our side is going under the radar this year particularly in the pack. 

• Like 1

I think the happiest coach at Belle Vue today will have been the one seated with the fans in the East Stand, James Ford.  If Wakefield perform in a similar fashion next week Fev will give us a good hiding.  There were many glum faces walking away from the game at the end. The score line really didn't do Barrow justice.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

8 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I think the happiest coach at Belle Vue today will have been the one seated with the fans in the East Stand, James Ford.  If Wakefield perform in a similar fashion next week Fev will give us a good hiding.  There were many glum faces walking away from the game at the end. The score line really didn't do Barrow justice.

It did do Barrow justice. 

Barrow scored from two kicks and threw everything at Trinity for 80 minutes and didn’t break the line once all 80 minutes. 

A couple of try’s bombed by trinity by poor handling such as Hood diving over without the ball, Walmsley unable to take a pass to send him over and a poor option taken after a Booth break and Jowitt break were some. Trinity played pretty poor in attack and ball retention was poor not completing about 5/6 sets in a row. But the reality is that despite a raft of possession Barrow continually got halted by strong defence. The defence from Trinity was good today. The attack and ball retention was clunky but at 30-12 with a few missed chances it’s good to play not very well and still win fairly comfortably. 

I’m not sure that Griffin at centre worked today or Vagana at second row. Think Powell is still trying to see how versatile some players are. 

No doubt Fev will be more of a challenge and Trinity need to up their game but even if we play as we did today I can’t see it being a hiding. Would certainly be a close game though if we did. Playing Amatuer teams for weeks hasn’t helped but today will serve as a kick up the backside I’m sure. 

Lino, Thornley and Likely Doyle will be a boost next week I suspect too. Though young Smith is looking like a cracking young 9. You can see why he played for England academy last year. 

Edited by Trojan Horse
  • Like 2

Wakey’s defence was good and Barrow had to think out of the box - their kicking game was great and put us on the back foot quite a bit.

Too many mistakes from Wakefield. A bit clunky and sloppy, going without the ball a couple of times and too many drops, but we needed a tougher test, got one and won by four tries.

Great to see Harvey Smith showing what he can do. Great prospect at dummy half. Enjoying seeing some of the younger players getting a chance. 

4 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

Though young Smith is looking like a cracking young 9. You can see why he played for England academy last year. 

27 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Great to see Harvey Smith showing what he can do. Great prospect at dummy half. Enjoying seeing some of the younger players getting a chance. 

That late try of his certainly lifted the gloom evident on many faces. 

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

4 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

It did do Barrow justice. 

Barrow scored from two kicks and threw everything at Trinity for 80 minutes and didn’t break the line once all 80 minutes. 

A couple of try’s bombed by trinity by poor handling such as Hood diving over without the ball, Walmsley unable to take a pass to send him over and a poor option taken after a Booth break and Jowitt break were some. Trinity played pretty poor in attack and ball retention was poor not completing about 5/6 sets in a row. But the reality is that despite a raft of possession Barrow continually got halted by strong defence. The defence from Trinity was good today. The attack and ball retention was clunky but at 30-12 with a few missed chances it’s good to play not very well and still win fairly comfortably. 

I’m not sure that Griffin at centre worked today or Vagana at second row. Think Powell is still trying to see how versatile some players are. 

No doubt Fev will be more of a challenge and Trinity need to up their game but even if we play as we did today I can’t see it being a hiding. Would certainly be a close game though if we did. Playing Amatuer teams for weeks hasn’t helped but today will serve as a kick up the backside I’m sure. 

Lino, Thornley and Likely Doyle will be a boost next week I suspect too. Though young Smith is looking like a cracking young 9. You can see why he played for England academy last year. 

Barrow were missing a lot of strike players. 2 top try scorers from last season Broadbent and Bulman were unavailable which meant putting a dual reg amateur on the wing (he did score twice to be fair). We were also missing Stack and Greenwood who score a lot of tries from second row. Harvey Makin (young prop) played 60 minutes at second row when Charlie Emslie got injured. 

Wakefield looked well drilled and organized on their line but it will be interesting to see if their line holds against better back lines. If they can then they will be very formidable. 

I'm a big fan of Wakefield pitch also. I've seen games across all levels (particularly super league) and think they have been a worse quality due to the pitch being too heavy but we managed to see some good fast rugby yesterday. 

Edited by RSN
  • Like 2

With Fev taking no part this weekend i am going to Sheffield v Batley which looks a well matched game.Dry day for once so that helps and me living in Sheffield makes it easier only 10 min in the car.The early ticket price were very good £15 adult seating £12 standing.With concessions priced at £10 and £8.Prices will be more for walk ups today.I will give my view of the game later.

14 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I think the happiest coach at Belle Vue today will have been the one seated with the fans in the East Stand, James Ford.  If Wakefield perform in a similar fashion next week Fev will give us a good hiding. 

As ever the outcome of any game depends on both teams' performance and there's no way the current Fev team is giving Wakefield " a good hiding". This is nothing like the Fev teams of the last 2 years, and we've just lost our only creative half back, meaning hooker Harry Bowes, released by Wakefield at the end of last season, is likey to be playing half back on Sunday. We lost against Batley with Reynolds and Minikin (who will miss the game through suspension) in the team, we're still without our two PNG forwards, and we have no long kicking game and no recognised goal kicker, although Lacans stepped up pretty well in that respect last week.

Don't get me wrong, I think Fev will be okay long term especially if/when we find a proper half back, and I'd say we'll be a much better team in the second half of the season. I'm sure we'll have a dig next Sunday but having seen Wakefield's previous games I'll be pleasantly surprised if we can trouble Wakefield at this stage of the season with the players available to us.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

No upset on the cards at York, where the Knights lead Oldham 34-6 at half-time. 

At this one this afternoon. Pretty straight forward for York so far.

• Like 1

26-10 to Eagles who never looked like losing after an early try in the corner by B.J Bishop.Batley supporters complained as the corner flag went over but the touch judge went straight to the in goal area.Second Eagles try came when Farrell put in a short kick which came off a Batley defender and straight into his hands.Batley scored on 30 min after bomb was caught by the Batley player and a quick inside pass for the try 10m from the posts. After half time from a scrum 20m out Eagles passed the ball along the line and Chris Welham cut through a paper thin Batley defence.Mid way In the second half Batley scored a try in the corner from a good pass but the conversion missed.Late in the game the Eagles right winger picked the ball up 70m out and ran to score the try unchallenged and that was that.Eagles pass the ball quickly and looked like a team who will finish two or three places above Batley this season.Both teams made mistakes in perfect conditions for Rugby League but Batley's handling was very poor.The Eagles forwards paid Wardy quite a bit of attention sometimes when he was on the ground.I enjoyed the game and only £8 to get in well worth it.Attendance was 727.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2