Sky viewing figures

• 1 month later...

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-given-major-boost-with-revelation-of-viewing-figures-and-attendances-from-early-season-start/ sheds some light.

It's hard to parse in places but I think that 6 live games on Sky are getting 15-20% more viewers (in the aggregate) than 2 live games - e.g. 6 games in 2024 get ~300k total, 2 games in 2023 got ~250k. But it is unclear because the quoted rise might include all of SS/BBC2/iPlayer/SL+ numbers for 2024 vs. SS/C4 for 2023. Who knows. 

We do know that the two early BBC2 games pulled in ~350k compared to (I think) C4 getting 200-300k across 2023.

RLonTV is saying that Saturday's Catalan-Saints game achieved: BBC3 110k, SSME 112k, SSA unknown. I think that's impressive for the channels it was on but what a shame it couldn't have been shown on BBC2 and perhaps got a 1/4m more pairs of eyes.

More broadly, as per attendances, we are being fed limited scraps this year in terms of published viewing figures and SL+ subscribers. It's hard to say whether we are moving up, down or flatlining.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-given-major-boost-with-revelation-of-viewing-figures-and-attendances-from-early-season-start/ sheds some light.

It's hard to parse in places but I think that 6 live games on Sky are getting 15-20% more viewers (in the aggregate) than 2 live games - e.g. 6 games in 2024 get ~300k total, 2 games in 2023 got ~250k. But it is unclear because the quoted rise might include all of SS/BBC2/iPlayer/SL+ numbers for 2024 vs. SS/C4 for 2023. Who knows. 

We do know that the two early BBC2 games pulled in ~350k compared to (I think) C4 getting 200-300k across 2023.

RLonTV is saying that Saturday's Catalan-Saints game achieved: BBC3 110k, SSME 112k, SSA unknown. I think that's impressive for the channels it was on but what a shame it couldn't have been shown on BBC2 and perhaps got a 1/4m more pairs of eyes.

More broadly, as per attendances, we are being fed limited scraps this year in terms of published viewing figures and SL+ subscribers. It's hard to say whether we are moving up, down or flatlining.

I think the BARB data is also now harder to access without a subscription so there are fewer people able to just look for themselves.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Thinking about this as I’m watching highlights of the Wigan v Penrith WCC game for probably the 4th time. The importance of every game being screened is not just on the games as they are shown live it’s the content they create. The aim surely is to create a sky RL channel. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Thinking about this as I’m watching highlights of the Wigan v Penrith WCC game for probably the 4th time. The importance of every game being screened is not just on the games as they are shown live it’s the content they create. The aim surely is to create a sky RL channel. 

I Should imagine to Sky we are to small a sport for a channel of our own bob.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I Should imagine to Sky we are to small a sport for a channel of our own bob.

In 24hrs arena will have 16hrs of RL not bad for a small sport. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I suppose so if they filled it with the all the NRL games, instead of the 114th viewing of each Grand Final that has been played.

They showed Warrington v Leeds full game from April 1995 (The Big League) last night, quite an entertaining watch. They should show more retro games.

• Like 3

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I suppose so if they filled it with the all the NRL games, instead of the 114th viewing of each Grand Final that has been played.

I like to see some games from the old Lancs and Yorks cups, and the Regal Trophy etc. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thanks Harry. I use that website myself, but my point was how well was the game advertised, so neutrals might know it was on and give it a watch. 

There is a point about promotion, but I don't watch BBC promotions particularly closely and the BBC has a lot of content to promote.

The more annoying thing is that they don't seem to be sticking to any particular pattern slot or channel for these BBC games. So nobody is thinking "it is 3pm (or whatever) on a Saturday, is the rugby on?".

People point out that BBC3 is a free to air channel, but nobody scrolls through the TV guide to check if there is any rugby on on a random channel. I only knew the Catalans-Saints game was on BBC because the match thread on here mentioned it was in the title.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thanks Harry. I use that website myself, but my point was how well was the game advertised, so neutrals might know it was on and give it a watch. 

Zero trailers for the games .

And they’ll be zero trailers and advertisements for the games at the weekend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

They showed Warrington v Leeds full game from April 1995 (The Big League) last night, quite an entertaining watch. They should show more retro games.

Who did?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Sky Arena

If you go on catch up you can watch Fev v Hull 95,London v Saints 96,Leeds v Wigan charity shield game 95 plus the wire v Leeds game you mentioned. Plus Aus v GB 92 and the reverse from 04. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 live sport , which is now on the red button as we speak ;

Sport coming up at the weekend.

Women’s 6 nations yawnion.

The world rowing championships.

Women’s super league netball .

Guess which sport wasn’t mentioned 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, soulboy said:

5 live sport , which is now on the red button as we speak ;

Sport coming up at the weekend.

Women’s 6 nations yawnion.

The world rowing championships.

Women’s super league netball .

Guess which sport wasn’t mentioned 🙂

Coopers Hill cheese rolling challenge?

spacer.png

On 11/04/2024 at 09:16, Eddie said:

Must admit I didn’t know the BBC had shown Saints v Catalans, not sure how well they advertised it. 

I didn't even know BBC3 still existed. Watched the game on sky but wouldn't have known about it had it only been on BBC

• Like 1