Fev not paying staff

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Seems like a few players aren't happy with this statement and both Kheirallah and Chisholm are questioning it:

Big gamble by Fev that didn't pay off!!! These players just weren't good enough to justify the money going out which has ultimately left the club in financial trouble after failing to reach the goal of SL. MK played on one leg at Fev and pretty much pinched a wage and god knows why they brought Chisholm back. Some really bad decision making behind the scenes, let's hope those who made these terrible financial decisions take some accountability and leave with MC. Fresh start needed, even if that means starting from the bottom again.

30 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

6 months ago... 

I do wonder whether MC did genuinely take his eye off the ball over the last 12-18 months due to other circumstances and this is down to Vickers, or whether he was fully aware of what was going on and banking on SL funding in 2024 to solve the problem.

Either way, it's not a good look, nor good outcome, and we're unlikely to ever know for sure.

Love or loathe MC, he's put a lot of money into the club, supported some great developments (new stands, etc.) and this ending leaves any legacy from that 17 or so years being badly tainted at best.

Edited by gazza77

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

21 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Ageing like a kipper behind a radiator.

This is all so desperately depressing. I've been obsessed with this club since I was about 5. Can't remember a lower feeling than this.

And this is why this sort of behaviour stinks. The ones who allegedly did the things they are alleged to have done will get to walk away and probably move on to something decent. The club and the supporters of the club are the ones left to deal with the fallout.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Catflap said:

Big gamble by Fev that didn't pay off!!! These players just weren't good enough to justify the money going out which has ultimately left the club in financial trouble after failing to reach the goal of SL. MK played on one leg at Fev and pretty much pinched a wage and god knows why they brought Chisholm back. Some really bad decision making behind the scenes, let's hope those who made these terrible financial decisions take some accountability and leave with MC. Fresh start needed, even if that means starting from the bottom again.

This was the main problem. Spent well over a million last year so should have been full time and had better players than they did for the money spent. Some of the salaries for fairly average players was eye watering. That said the squad was good enough to win it but choked. 

That money was available so I think this is less about spending more than they had but the issue is the investment now going. I dont blame any club for having a crack once we saw the ridiculousness of the IMG plan. Hopefully Fev can get a new investor to take over from MC and someone more competent than Vickers running the place.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

29 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Ageing like a kipper behind a radiator.

This is all so desperately depressing. I've been obsessed with this club since I was about 5. Can't remember a lower feeling than this.

Who didn’t see this coming?

two seasons of over investment in players without getting the required result ie Super League, it was always going to end in tears sadly. It is unforgivable not to pay the players, current or past, what they are owed, it also brings the whole game into disrepute and should be dealt with by the RFL accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being realistic and looking at the way the game is going with IMG etc. If you wanted to build a club to compete at the highest level amongst the top clubs, the last place you would choose to operate from is Featherstone. It's a small place and has always been a small club. The district and wider area is already saturated rugby League wise. Best it can hope to be is a well run small to medium size operation and I can't understand why people pump large amounts of money in to it in order to try and achieve something that would be impossible to sustain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Being realistic and looking at the way the game is going with IMG etc. If you wanted to build a club to compete at the highest level amongst the top clubs, the last place you would choose to operate from is Featherstone. It's a small place and has always been a small club. The district and wider area is already saturated rugby League wise. Best it can hope to be is a well run small to medium size operation and I can't understand why people pump large amounts of money in to it in order to try and achieve something that would be impossible to sustain.

Couldn’t agree more, the sad thing is the fans are so passionate about their club, probably more so than those at a lot of other clubs, that sometimes the reality is hard to accept. As you so rightly point out the catchment area is too small to sustain a top level club for any length of time, unless someone with deeper pockets than the Mariana Trench comes along and pours money in. 

I have supported Fev since 1938. I will continue to do so. If I can help in any way I will. If we are given to full REAL picture of the circumstances then we, the supporters, will know how to act. UTR

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

I have supported Fev since 1938. I will continue to do so. If I can help in any way I will. If we are given to full REAL picture of the circumstances then we, the supporters, will know how to act. UTR

Well if you started supporting when you were 8 years old, this must be the year you get your birthday card from the king. Or did you start supporting when you were even younger. Anyhow you have my respect , I am no spring chicken myself and I don't envisage the day I will turn my back on my club 👍

8 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Speaking of clubs not paying staff.....

"The ideal candidate will: Be flexible and committed to work weekends, and evenings to help us identify the most talented players."

"At this present time, this is a voluntary role."

Is it Bob a Job week in Huddersfield!

15 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Well if you started supporting when you were 8 years old, this must be the year you get your birthday card from the king. Or did you start supporting when you were even younger. Anyhow you have my respect , I am no spring chicken myself and I don't envisage the day I will turn my back on my club 👍

Shocking maths

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

Couldn’t agree more, the sad thing is the fans are so passionate about their club, probably more so than those at a lot of other clubs, that sometimes the reality is hard to accept. As you so rightly point out the catchment area is too small to sustain a top level club for any length of time, unless someone with deeper pockets than the Mariana Trench comes along and pours money in. 

The catchment area isn't (or at least shouldn't) be any smaller than several other clubs. Pontefract, Knottingley, Ackworth were all Fev areas when I was growing up, so comparable with the catchment for Cas, Leigh, Warrington, Widnes, etc. Whether they'd be able to draw a bigger fanbase back however after 30 years outside the topflight is another matter, albeit likely to be a moot point anyway.

Yes, Fev are never likely to be there biggest club. Still no reason that they shouldn't be up there until we reach the promised land of "big city" teams however. It just needs someone with deep pockets and willing to keep throwing money at it long term, same as Huddersfield, Leigh, Warrington and so many other clubs that are benefactor dependent. At the moment however, that just feels like wishful thinking for those of us who dare to dream.

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

20 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

The catchment area isn't (or at least shouldn't) be any smaller than several other clubs. Pontefract, Knottingley, Ackworth were all Fev areas when I was growing up, so comparable with the catchment for Cas, Leigh, Warrington, Widnes, etc. Whether they'd be able to draw a bigger fanbase back however after 30 years outside the topflight is another matter, albeit likely to be a moot point anyway.

Yes, Fev are never likely to be there biggest club. Still no reason that they shouldn't be up there until we reach the promised land of "big city" teams however. It just needs someone with deep pockets and willing to keep throwing money at it long term, same as Huddersfield, Leigh, Warrington and so many other clubs that are benefactor dependent. At the moment however, that just feels like wishful thinking for those of us who dare to dream.

Pontefract, Knottingley and Ackworth, come on ! Ponte and Knottingley have far more Cas fans. Why not really scrape the barrel and add Purston and Wraggby. Fev never has and never will have a bigger fan base than those four clubs you mentioned. But like you say, no harm in dreaming

5 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Pontefract, Knottingley and Ackworth, come on ! Ponte and Knottingley have far more Cas fans. Why not really scrape the barrel and add Purston and Wraggby. Fev never has and never will have a bigger fan base than those four clubs you mentioned. But like you say, no harm in dreaming

We have a very proud history especially for the size of the town,Wakefield hardly ' break the bank' with attendances for the size a City. Been extremely lucky to stay in SL over the last 20 odd years but are finally getting the ground done and good luck to them. By the way Purston is Featherstone to all intents and purpose. 

Edited by Fevrover

4 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I was brought up and schooled in Ponte, before moving away to uni in 95 and never met a Cas fan whilst there until 6th form, when Cas and Ponte schools merged at NEW college. Maybe times have changed, it's 30 years since I left, and tbh what you say wouldn't suprise me given the time Fev have been out of the top flight and that Cas and Pontefract have become far closer in terms of residential development over that time. 

As we both say, no harm in dreaming. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

23 hours ago, JohnM said:

Now that IS worrying. I can understand the drive to make the club successful means taking risks, juggling priorities and finances, but not at the players or fans expense. Not suggesting that Featherstone are in breach but it's  essential that any company pays its employer NI contributions, PAYE deductions, VAT etc else it's in really big trouble. 

After so much work seems to have gone into keeping the club going, it would be a shame if it was all lost.

again I worked for a company that had not been paying my NI contribution, it only came to light when i changed jobs. In business I'm afraid cash is king

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

30 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I was brought up and schooled in Ponte, before moving away to uni in 95 and never met a Cas fan whilst there until 6th form, when Cas and Ponte schools merged at NEW college. Maybe times have changed, it's 30 years since I left, and tbh what you say wouldn't suprise me given the time Fev have been out of the top flight and that Cas and Pontefract have become far closer in terms of residential development over that time. 

As we both say, no harm in dreaming. 

That's the point.  SL has decimated Fev's support.  Pre SL there were supporters buses from as far away as Pollington bringing Fev fans.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Ah! Dreams!  Turn one way and they become reality. Turn the other way, they become nightmares.  Applies to any club: injecting millions year after year after is not enough. There have to be realistic,  achievable. deliverables. No use putting in millions a year for player wages etc just for the love of a club. There has to be such momentum that when one funding injection stops, there's enough momentum for the club to continue and there has to be enough success for the next "investor" to be attracted. Are there any such people in the Featherstone catchment ?

42 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

When I was a kid in the 50's my relatives in S Kirkby, S.Elmsall and Hemsworth were all Fev fans,  That's how I (from Morley) come to be a Fev fan

Clement Attlee.

Just now, JohnM said:

Ah! Dreams!  Turn one way and they become reality. Turn the other way, they become nightmares.  Applies to any club: injecting millions year after year after is not enough. There have to be realistic,  achievable. deliverables. No use putting in millions a year for player wages etc just for the love of a club. There has to be such momentum that when one funding injection stops, there's enough momentum for the club to continue and there has to be enough success for the next "investor" to be attracted. Are there any such people in the Featherstone catchment ?

I wonder   Wakey dominated the RL in the 60's  big crowds, championships and Wembley wins.  But when the goose that had been laying the golden eggs died suddenly it was "save Trinity"  they've never really been a force in the game since.  Same applies to Bradford although their goose was more of the Ponzi variety

• Like 1

Clement Attlee.

My highly subjective memories of Featherstone in the 1960s onwards was of a club living a sort of hand to mouth existence but at the same time being a real threat on the field, always capable of an upset, tough and doughty fighters punching well above it's weight. As I say, though, highly subjective. It would be a shame to see them "disappear".

9 minutes ago, JohnM said:

My highly subjective memories of Featherstone in the 1960s onwards was of a club living a sort of hand to mouth existence but at the same time being a real threat on the field, always capable of an upset, tough and doughty fighters punching well above it's weight. As I say, though, highly subjective. It would be a shame to see them "disappear".

We've faced worse then this and iam sure we will be ok again.

• Like 2