Fri 15th-Sun 17th Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Please stick to discussing the matches in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

FRIDAY 15th MARCH
Sheffield Eagles v Toulouse Olympique KO 19:30
Wakefield Trinity v Bradford Bulls KO 20:00

SUNDAY 17th MARCH
Batley Bulldogs v Featherstone Rovers KO 14:00
Dewsbury Rams v Halifax Panthers KO 15:00
Doncaster v York Knights KO 15:00
Whitehaven v Swinton Lions KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v Barrow Raiders KO 15:00

6 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Sheffield, Wakey, Fev, Halifax, Donny, Whitehaven, Widnes.

I'll go with all of these predictions with the exception of Dons. Don't want to tempt fate. Nervous as hell.

Sheffield Eagles v Toulouse Olympique - by 2

Wakefield Trinity v Bradford Bulls           - by 7

Batley Bulldogs v Featherstone Rovers   - by 8

Dewsbury Rams v Halifax Panthers          - by 14

Doncaster v York Knights                        - by 10

Whitehaven v Swinton Lions                   - by 4

Widnes Vikings v Barrow Raiders           - by 6

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

FRIDAY 15th MARCH

Sheffield Eagles v Toulouse Olympique KO 19:30
Wakefield Trinity v Bradford Bulls KO 20:00

SUNDAY 17th MARCH
Batley Bulldogs v Featherstone Rovers KO 14:00
Dewsbury Rams v Halifax Panthers KO 15:00
Doncaster v York Knights KO 15:00
Whitehaven v Swinton Lions KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v Barrow Raiders KO 15:00

Sheffield Eagles v Toulouse Olympique - by 12

Wakefield Trinity v Bradford Bulls           - by 22

Batley Bulldogs v Featherstone Rovers   - by 4

Dewsbury Rams v Halifax Panthers          - by 20

Doncaster v York Knights                        - by 6

Whitehaven v Swinton Lions                   - by 8

Widnes Vikings v Barrow Raiders           - by 10

Good win for Sheffield.

Wakey comfortable against Bradford. 

Halifax battle past Dewsbury. 

Fev pinch it against Batley(taking nothing away from Fev, but sounded like batley imploded. Had a set of 6 on Fevs line with 3 mins remaining. Threw a forward pass on first tackle. Dropped the kick on Fevs last tackle. Fev score and Hooter goes) 

Whitehaven fight back against Swinton. 

Doncaster with a shock result against York. Doncaster have recruited some big names but expected York to lay down a marker after their recruitment. 

Widnes hammer Barrow with cards galore. 

52 minutes ago, Bull Mania said:

Good win for Sheffield.

Fev pinch it against Batley(taking nothing away from Fev, but sounded like batley imploded. Had a set of 6 on Fevs line with 3 mins remaining. Threw a forward pass on first tackle. Dropped the kick on Fevs last tackle. Fev score and Hooter goes) 

Doncaster with a shock result against York. Doncaster have recruited some big names but expected York to lay down a marker after their recruitment. 

Both sides were out on their feet at the end.  Batley were 18-0 up after twenty minutes, but they had the advantage of the slope.  Fev scored one up the slope at the close of the first half.  By the end there was only a penalty separating them.  Could have gone either way.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

48 minutes ago, Bull Mania said:

That's  a fairly accurate description of what happened but in terms of overall context the "imploding" happened to both teams at different teams (Fev gifted lots of field position to Batley in the first 20 minutes through poor discipline), and indeed the reason Batley found themselves with a scrum 10m out in the closing stages was because two Fev players went for the same high kick and knocked on, that was the first time Batley were in an attacking position in the second half.

Overall it was a fairly typical game at the Mount in that the slope had its usual massive impact. Fev as mentioned were very poor in the first 20 minutes and Batley were very good and full value for their 18-point lead. Fev got a lifeline with a late first half try and just as had Fev had given Batley field position through mistakes/poor discipline playing uphill, the reverse happened in the second half with Batley errors helping Fev dominate.

Fev will feel they got out of jail, Batley will feel like it's one that got away.

56 minutes ago, Bull Mania said:

Good win for Sheffield.

It was a very exciting game with some great tries scored.

We were top of the league for half an hour.   Now collapsed to seventh.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

First week I get somewhere near with the results and my post missed the cut off. 🤣 

Fev the one that I got wrong, I thought Batley might have just snook that one. Had the Widnes game a lot closer so that sounds like a good win for them and although I had Donny to beat York I thought there would only be 4-6 points in it. 1st week but with their troubles you can't help think that Haven's win could be very important for them.

5 hours ago, Bull Mania said:

Good win for Sheffield.

York were dire, so hopefully only one way to go

Edited by georgeb1
spelling

18 minutes ago, Rene_Artois said:

Bit of credit is due to Dons. Tighten a few things up and we'll be hard to beat.

I went as a neutral, and thought both sides made a lot of errors and it was quite dire at times. Tighten up is spot-on, both teams have a lot to work on defensively.

Doncaster looked best when they were bashing up the middle when Pauli Pauli was on - York's pack were just too small.

That said, York were at their best in attack when Hingano rather than Nicholson-Watton was at loose forward and they were throwing it around a lot more.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

I think Sheffield, although they played well, will think that getting Toulouse at home in game one after the Eagles have already played six warm up and cup games was a good outcome of the fixture list. As Mark Aston said, they are big, strong and play quickly. They'll be a handful in France for sure and should end up top 3. 

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

12 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I think Sheffield, although they played well, will think that getting Toulouse at home in game one after the Eagles have already played six warm up and cup games was a good outcome of the fixture list. 

Seven, actually.

33 minutes ago, Griff said:

Seven, actually.

True, I forgot Hull KR. That's a lot of matches.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

11 minutes ago, tim2 said:

True, I forgot Hull KR. That's a lot of matches.

I wouldn't have counted Hull KR but you did specifically mention warm-up games in your post.

43 minutes ago, Griff said:

I wouldn't have counted Hull KR but you did specifically mention warm-up games in your post.

I thought Donny was a warm up game but it was the 1895 Cup! It appears I'm living in 2023.

Hull KR, Donny, Midlands, Newcastle, York, Batley, Swinton and now Toulouse. 8/8 wins.

Wigan may be a step too far, but you never know. Then back to a tricky league game at Doncaster.

• Haha 1