NRL Heritage Locations

Thought this map was pretty interesting!

Yellow means there is a player from there, I saw Gold Coast did a squad bio with players heritage flags behind them on there too.

12 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

How far back are we going? Pretty sure you can colour in the whole map at some point.

Not sure how far, the split on some players flags on the Gold Coast post was 4 flags? So Grandparents.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Interesting to see some with British heritage and some with Scottish heritage. I didn't know the Titans were such strong supporters of Scottish independence.

3 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Interesting to see some with British heritage and some with Scottish heritage. I didn't know the Titans were such strong supporters of Scottish independence.

Tbf its down to the individual I suppose and what they have taken. Some might say Scottish, some British, some English.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf its down to the individual I suppose and what they have taken. Some might say Scottish, some British, some English.

I don’t give the Titans that much credit. I reckon the conversation around the Titans creative desk went “Johnny said his mum is English so he needs a Union Jack as well… now Hamish, he says he’s part Scottish, stick a Scottish flag on the tight git’s background… Liam, his Dad and Mum are both Irish, so he needs a Union Jack too… Dahlsim says he is part…”

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Thought this map was pretty interesting!

Yellow means there is a player from there, I saw Gold Coast did a squad bio with players heritage flags behind them on there too.

That map looks so much better when you have just one Yank, one Canuck, one Ruskie and a Chinaman.

This kind of just a box-ticking excercise. 

Why not couple it with an initiative like, say: To celebrate multicultural round, you can donate a ball/boots/money to any RL playing nation of your choice / team in rural indigenous communities?

A bit more substance and "strikes while the iron is hot" and people are in the mood for it, as it will all be forgotten the following week, for another year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, langpark said:

This kind of just a box-ticking excercise. 

That`s a little cynical and not true from what I`ve seen.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

That`s a little cynical and not true from what I`ve seen.

Ok as I am not there, I will take your word for it.  But are there any examples of "hands-on" initiatives they are running as part of multicultural round?

Just now, langpark said:

Ok as I am not there, I will take your word for it.  But are there any examples of "hands-on" initiatives they are running as part of multicultural round?

Yeah, Parramatta had a great day at Parra CBD and a march where people from all cultures were encouraged to join in, it looked brilliant and lots of smiling participants. Massive Indian population around Parra and I saw Indian dancers and the like, Parramatta really needs to get these groups following their team and having the Eels banner central to a great gathering like this is not a bad place to start.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t give the Titans that much credit. I reckon the conversation around the Titans creative desk went “Johnny said his mum is English so he needs a Union Jack as well… now Hamish, he says he’s part Scottish, stick a Scottish flag on the tight git’s background… Liam, his Dad and Mum are both Irish, so he needs a Union Jack too… Dahlsim says he is part…”

Also on the Gold Coast, Burleigh Bears have a player in their women's team called Caitlyn Ah ####.

22 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

One of them shows the aboriginal flag only…I wonder what passport he uses.

It’s multicultural round. It shouldn’t be a surprise for an indigenous Australian to proudly show the Aboriginal flag. More power to him.

Of course…i wasnt questioning that….but all others show their national flag as well as a cultural community/heritage flag ( Aboriginal, torres strait islands). Is this a political statement I wonder….if so would he feel the same if ever he was good enough to be considered for an Australian national team?

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

Of course…i wasnt questioning that….but all others show their national flag as well as a cultural community/heritage flag ( Aboriginal, torres strait islands). Is this a political statement I wonder….if so would he feel the same if ever he was good enough to be considered for an Australian national team?

Mate, you're way off with this one. Leave it in the 50s.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

new rise.jpg

On 21/03/2024 at 23:55, Pulga said:

Just read this. Nearly 20% of the NRL are eligible for Samoa. Insane.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/21/like-a-family-how-samoa-are-connecting-with-huge-nrl-player-pool/

That stat is crazy. Imagine if the heritage players starts committing to Samoa, I don't think it'll weaken the Kangaroos but it'll make it a even playing field for every nation

On 22/03/2024 at 23:39, Mojo said:

That stat is crazy. Imagine if the heritage players starts committing to Samoa, I don't think it'll weaken the Kangaroos but it'll make it a even playing field for every nation

It’s already happend mate, no need to imagine.

On 20/03/2024 at 16:35, Tommygilf said:

Not sure how far, the split on some players flags on the Gold Coast post was 4 flags? So Grandparents.

Makes sense as international qualification goes back to grandparents.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"