Fri 22nd Mar-Sun 24th Mar: The Betfred Challenge Cup Sixth Round Match Thread

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What it does do though is it creates more variety.

Of course it is ultimately likely that an SL club will get knocked out to another SL club, but in the current 1st Rd for SL clubs, they are very likely to just draw an SL club, whereas in 2014 in the first SL round 9 of them drew lower division teams. Also, by SL clubs knocking each other out it does leave opportunity for lower division teams to draw each other and get a lucky draw and make it to a decent stage. 

Cup comps have unique elements - knockout and the draw. The draw element has become rather less interesting.

The last draw was embarrassing. Iestyn Harris had the open bag on the top of the table where he could see what he was drawing out. It was a farce.

9 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

The last draw was embarrassing. Iestyn Harris had the open bag on the top of the table where he could see what he was drawing out. It was a farce.

I notice tonight's is in that lovely family slot of 8.45pm on a Monday. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I notice tonight's is in that lovely family slot of 8.45pm on a Monday. 

I've told my daughter she can see Frozen 2 or the Challenge Cup quarter-final draw tonight.  But not both.

• Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I've told my daughter she can see Frozen 2 or the Challenge Cup quarter-final draw tonight.  But not both.

You jest, but I used to love cup draws. 😆

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You jest, but I used to love cup draws. 😆

Before I got to the end of that sentence, I was sure you were going to say you used to love Frozen 2.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I thought it was a brilliant piece.   Rugby has been played at the Mount for nearly 150 years, but for how much longer under IMG?  I was there the week before to watch Fev. Great atmosphere, very competitive game could have gone either way.

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

44 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Before I got to the end of that sentence, I was sure you were going to say you used to love Frozen 2.

I still love Frozen 2

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Griff said:

No thanks.

First, it wouldn't be a bigger pay day.

Second, a trip to a Superleague ground is a highlight for both players and fans.

Well I go to a Superleague ground every home game and, believe me, its not highlight, more a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Faithful1865 said:

Well I go to a Superleague ground every home game and, believe me, its not highlight, more a nightmare.

In the cup?  Maximum one a year for you, isn't it?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

If you watch that carefully, you'll see that Elsa has the Warrington and Wigan balls in her pocket ready for tonight's draw.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

17 minutes ago, Faithful1865 said:

No its super league and there's plenty of us still turn up and suffer.

Ah - off topic then.

This thread is about the Cup.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

If you watch that carefully, you'll see that Elsa has the Warrington and Wigan balls in her pocket ready for tonight's draw.

That's what the Challenge Cup draw and Olaf have in common... cold balls.

6 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

In fairness it wasn’t too dissimilar for the FA Cup semi final draw the other week!

On 23/03/2024 at 17:06, JohnM said:

It's not fair, we wuz robbed. 🥱🥱🥱🥱

I thought we were supposed to be discussing the game.

"Please stick to discussing the matches in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased...."

Yawn yawn yawn, I never said we were robbed or accused the officials of being biased.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just signed up to this site to come to the defence of the commentators for the Leeds Saints cup game. I agree with many of the criticisms of the BBC's presentation of this year's Challenge Cup. However for me Sharon Shortle and Kevin Brown did a good job on commentary, and shouldn't be lumped in with the general dissatisfaction. I'd rather have Sharon's spontaneous enthusiasm for the game than David Woods' facts and figures and well-rehearsed one-liners. 

Colin Galbraith

A little odd that there is no Friday night game in the quarter finals this year, but more so that when I look at the fixtures on the BBC the games overlap in the schedule.

• Like 1