Hull FC offer Tex Hoy to other SL clubs…

14 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I never said he did, Gomersall said TS got the job at Huddersfield as it was a requirement that SL coaches had to be from overseas at the time, i pointed out that as TS had replaced Kear then this is clearly not true, not sure what exactly his point was to be honest.

Are you always such hard work? Sorry if I omitted the word overseas from my first post but you appear to be the only one who couldn’t comprehend what I meant. 

Edited by Gomersall
  • Like 1

It's eight years since Tony Smith led any side to more victories than losses in a league season, and it sure as hell doesn't look like 2024 will buck that trend. Seems more and more like a 'yesterday's man' with every week that passes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oh Sully Sully said:

It's eight years since Tony Smith led any side to more victories than losses in a league season, and it sure as hell doesn't look like 2024 will buck that trend. Seems more and more like a 'yesterday's man' with every week that passes.

I think that's a slightly selective stat to be fair. He took Hull KR from down the bottom of the Super League to the playoffs, and I would argue laid the foundations for where they're at currently. There's no doubt this is a big challenge, but I hope they persevere with him because I think he'll turn it around given time. What was quite telling when Sky published the table of highest spending teams was that Hull FC were near the bottom, so I don't think they're going to get a better man for the job given their spending power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I think that's a slightly selective stat to be fair. He took Hull KR from down the bottom of the Super League to the playoffs, and I would argue laid the foundations for where they're at currently. There's no doubt this is a big challenge, but I hope they persevere with him because I think he'll turn it around given time. What was quite telling when Sky published the table of highest spending teams was that Hull FC were near the bottom, so I don't think they're going to get a better man for the job given their spending power.

It's arguable that it was actually the return of Paul Lakin behind the scenes and the increased interest in the club off the field that helped to push Rovers forward more than Tony Smith's impact. Sure, they reached the semis in 2021, but that was in a season in which they ended up with a very selective fixture list due to Covid cancellations. I'm not saying they didn't progress under him, but the foundations were built by the hands of others.

19 hours ago, JM2010 said:

One big positives for Hull is the young players that are coming through. I was impressed with Moy when he came on and Charles looks like he’s going to be a good player. 
A few good signings will help but long term success is based on bringing quality juniors through 

This has been said for years regarding Hull, but for some reasons, these talented youngsters never really seem to kick on.

I remember the clamour and excitement around the likes of Brad Fash, Cam Scott, Jordan Lane, Liam Harris, Josh Bowden, Jack Logan, Jack Brown, Connor Wynne etc as the future of Hull, these guys are/were all capable and decent SL players but they have never been more than that.

Most fans wouldn't particularly want them in their team.

Danny Houghton, as good a servant he's been to Hull has been doing the same thing there for 17 seasons, they've never brought any talented youngsters through to challenge him, because he's there etc.

Hull still continue to bring over Pacific islanders who seem to be more miss than hit, maybe this next crop of youngsters may be the ones, but the likes of Moy and Charles are still babies, let's not put too much pressure on them to be the next big things.

2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

The same Tony Smith who signed Vete, Simms and Takairangi as our big import signings very similar signings to his three big  Hull import signings this year. 

I'd maybe keep him away from deciding who to bring in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, up the robins said:

The same Tony Smith who signed Vete, Simms and Takairangi as our big import signings very similar signings to his three big  Hull import signings this year. 

I'd maybe keep him away from deciding who to bring in.

Indeed. And yet his final, infantile dummy spit that made him resign during a press conference was apparently his unhappiness that Paul Lakin would want some sort of small say in who we hired and extended. 

Just an old-school, petulant, "I must have control" dinosaur I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meast said:

Hull still continue to bring over Pacific islanders who seem to be more miss than hit

That's not very fair, Franklyn Pele has hit far more than he's missed, as the RFL disciplinary minutes will confirm.

As regards Hoy, I remember shaking my head while watching a pre season interview with him last year after he signed.

His comment (paraphrased by me) that "Hull FC wouldn't lose a derby while he was playing" was just a stupid thing to say.

As recent games have confirmed.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

9 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Are you always such hard work? Sorry if I omitted the word overseas from my first post but you appear to be the only one who couldn’t comprehend what I meant. 

Maybe i am missing your point so apologies if i have misunderstood but from what i understand you were saying Tony only got the job at Huddersfield as it was a Super League directive that coaches had to be from overseas.

I'm not sure if i missed a joke or something originally but i don't really get what your getting at.

23 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Maybe i am missing your point so apologies if i have misunderstood but from what i understand you were saying Tony only got the job at Huddersfield as it was a Super League directive that coaches had to be from overseas.

I'm not sure if i missed a joke or something originally but i don't really get what your getting at.

It wasn’t a joke. An overseas coach coming to SL at the time TS came had to be either ex NRL coach or assistant or had been coach of an international team. TS had coached Japan. That was his ticket to a SL job. Clubs could employ anyone who met SL/Government criteria be they English or foreign.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meast said:

This has been said for years regarding Hull, but for some reasons, these talented youngsters never really seem to kick on.

I remember the clamour and excitement around the likes of Brad Fash, Cam Scott, Jordan Lane, Liam Harris, Josh Bowden, Jack Logan, Jack Brown, Connor Wynne etc as the future of Hull, these guys are/were all capable and decent SL players but they have never been more than that.

Most fans wouldn't particularly want them in their team.

Danny Houghton, as good a servant he's been to Hull has been doing the same thing there for 17 seasons, they've never brought any talented youngsters through to challenge him, because he's there etc.

Hull still continue to bring over Pacific islanders who seem to be more miss than hit, maybe this next crop of youngsters may be the ones, but the likes of Moy and Charles are still babies, let's not put too much pressure on them to be the next big things.

There's Balmforth who I know who has hardly had a sniff. 

• Like 2

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

36 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

It wasn’t a joke. An overseas coach coming to SL at the time TS came had to be either ex NRL coach or assistant or had been coach of an international team. TS had coached Japan. That was his ticket to a SL job. Clubs could employ anyone who met SL/Government criteria be they English or foreign.

Right, i'm with you now, i thought you were saying it was a SL directive that all coaches had to be rather than a Government/Visa requirement.

Either way it doesn't change my point about Tony being hunted by the big boys on the back of his work at Huddersfield.

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Right, i'm with you now, i thought you were saying it was a SL directive that all coaches had to be rather than a Government/Visa requirement.

Either way it doesn't change my point about Tony being hunted by the big boys on the back of his work at Huddersfield.

Well technically the RFL will provide input to the qualifying criteria to the Government with the FO enforcing it 

18 hours ago, Oh Sully Sully said:

I have to admit I thought similar after watching a recent game (can't remember which one), although what was telling to me was the way a couple of ex-players (Tomkins and can't remember the other) seemed certain he was the right person for the job, and basically said he was the kind of person Hull needed, he just wasn't getting wins. Interesting to hear a perspective coming from players who will no doubt have had contact with him at some point in their careers and will know players who have played/are currently playing under him - I'm not so sure now on him having had his time.

Tony Smith became a naturalized British citizen on 8 September 2008. 

His involvement with British Rugby League began by finishing his playing career in 1996 with a spell at Workington Town in the inaugural Super League season. 

What evidence is there that the RFL advised the then govt on working  visa requirements for Australians in 2000? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

There's Balmforth who I know who has hardly had a sniff. 

Those names are spread over a good few years though.

Fash has become a very good, hard working forward.  I didn’t rate him at one stage but he’s made me eat my words. Wynne came back after pre season well overweight and then didn’t put in what he needed to. Cam Scott is in the 1st team but has had injuries, Lane is 1st team but has played with injuries, Jack Brown is in the 1st team and Liam Harris is at York but iirc started at HKR.  Bowden was with Wakey, so I don’t know what the complaint is.

100% agree with Balmforth.  I like him as a hooker but TS still has to be convinced.  

Hull have a good few cracking lads in the Academy who will be coming up into the 1st team squad next season.  Probably another 4 or 5, not including Charles.  

So, the academy side of the club, together with the Foundation are doing very well.  The most difficult thing will be keeping them.  Very few players are capable to jump from Academy into the first team.

For every Vete, Simms and Takairangi there is Lachlan Coote, SKD and Parcell or even further back overseas players such as Monaghan and Brett Hodgson all signed by Tony Smith at Rovers and Wire.

Smith must be given the time to see this through. His budget for this year clearly shows he has to shop in the bargain basement and take a risk or two which haven't come off as yet.

Enough experienced ex players, coaches etc in the game are saying he is the man that Hull FC need to change what is clearly a poor culture but this will not be a short term fix and I for one will bow to their superior knowledge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boris74 said:

For every Vete, Simms and Takairangi there is Lachlan Coote, SKD and Parcell or even further back overseas players such as Monaghan and Brett Hodgson all signed by Tony Smith at Rovers and Wire.

Smith must be given the time to see this through. His budget for this year clearly shows he has to shop in the bargain basement and take a risk or two which haven't come off as yet.

Enough experienced ex players, coaches etc in the game are saying he is the man that Hull FC need to change what is clearly a poor culture but this will not be a short term fix and I for one will bow to their superior knowledge. 

He’s gone. 

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Tony Smith became a naturalized British citizen on 8 September 2008. 

His involvement with British Rugby League began by finishing his playing career in 1996 with a spell at Workington Town in the inaugural Super League season. 

What evidence is there that the RFL advised the then govt on working  visa requirements for Australians in 2000? 

It’s on the RFL’s website - Governing Body Endorsements. The scheme has been very similar for many years

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

It’s on the RFL’s website - Governing Body Endorsements. The scheme has been very similar for many years

Thanks. Academic now, in a way.