Match thread: Championship Round 4. Doncaster v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 14th April 2024.

Last Sunday was the first big backward step I've seen from this new squad.

We move on.

Doncaster have recruited plenty of players, including 2023 departures Hall and Briscoe. There are a number of other ex Fev players there from previous seasons. It'll be very tough.

In terms of our squad, we've now become quite reliant on DR, 4 of the 17 v Bradford. That makes speculating about who's in and out a bit pointless because it'll depend on Hull KR, as much as our wants and needs.

However, from our 24 players, both Day and Roberts are now available after suspension.

The injury list is: Springer, Lacans, Bussey, Massey, Tanner and Arnold. Hardcastle came off injured. I'm not sure if any other players got knocks v Bradford. There is no news if any of those seven players are available (but equally not available) for Doncaster.

A vital two points at stake to break this losing run and pick up the spirits of the team.

• Like 3

Fordy said a couple of weeks ago that two of the injured forwards were possibles to return against Doncaster (might have been Bussey & Massey but I can't remember), before Sunday's game he was talking about "the cavalry coming over the hill" in terms of players returning from injury and afterwards he confirmed that there would be some personnel coming back into the team for the Donny game. So barring setbacks there must be a chance we will see at least one or two return from injury, and as you say Day and Roberts are available again after suspension. So the team could have a very different look this week.

I think the reason we used 4 DR against Bradford is because we had so many forwards missing - we couldn't have fielded 17 otherwise unless we went with Farrar and Harris on the bench. I'll be surprised if we use that many this weekend.

As MLP says, Doncaster are packed with ex-Fev players in their squad. Boas, Smeaton, Briscoe, Hepi and Knowles all played last weekend and they also have Hall, Sutcliffe, McConnell, Taulapapa and Ferres on their books, and they'll all be itching to play against Fev. I watched their game against Wakefield, they went ok, tackled reasonably well, lacked a bit of penetration in attack but then again they were facing Wakefield.

By far their biggest threat last week was Pauli Pauli who played the full 80 minutes having been switched to left back row, he's not everyone's favourite player but he seems to be contributing more at Doncaster than he did at York and regularly carried 3 or 4 Wakefield guys upfield, and he's their go-to guy near the tryline and almost scored twice. If he plays the same position he'll be coming up against what has been our achilles heel and we'll need to defend well against him.

I really hope Josh is okay because he's defensively so solid at centre and with Day and maybe Bussey returning we won't need him at back row this week. I wouldn't be averse to seeing Gorman continue on the wing, he has a bit of pace which he showcased for our last try, he seems ok fielding high kicks generally and I think he might have better judgement defensively than Wacokecoke.

I think we're going to have to soldier on as we are with Turner and Bowes at half back until Lacans is fit again. Turner has shown a few glimpses of what he can do, he's not really the type of half who's going to create lots of "shape" leading to fluent passing movements but he has a bit of dynamism in him and can beat a man and he showed how dangerous he can be near the line last week. The alternative to continuing with Bowes is switching Aekins again which I don't think many of us think is ideal, personally I'd leave him at full back but I guess you can argue it either way.

Would be good to see a positive reaction this weekend. I think it's apparent we aren't going to steamroller many teams this year but the games will be less predictable for sure.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 2

Couple of things that may have changed since last time you visited us:

The restaurant bar at the back of the stand is now members only, us riff raff can get a drink etc from the concourse beneath the stand. There is also a beer cart which seems to be the kept a secret for some reason that sells at the bottom corner of the stand but hardly anyone knows it's there.

Car parking is all done via the web or an app, here is the direct link to use Car Park 2 on Sunday. Alternatively you can scan the QR code on the signs in the car park or pay at the ticket office you do not have access to the internet.

https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk/locations/show/3314552678?rental=short&start=2024-04-14T13%3A00%3A00%2B01%3A00&end=2024-04-14T19%3A00%3A00%2B01%3A00&season_plan=mon-sun&skip_availability=false&interval_count=1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Personally I can’t see us winning this, and half expect a bad beating against a motivated Dons team, filled with ex Fev players. Hope that I am badly wrong.

I am going because it is easier for me than home games.I do think it will be a difficult game and Donny only got beat by 6 points against Sheffield who i think are a better side than Fev this season.Hopefully Fev by 8 to 10 points but no surprise if we get beat by the same margin.Been going through our fixtures and any better than 14 wins and 12 defeats will be a acceptable season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Bates said:

Ben Reynolds in contention this week 👀

I'd have thought it inevitable sooner or later.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

8 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

A friend of a friend. I'd be sceptical believing it too but he doesn't usually try to wind me up.

Can't see it myself but would be good to have a play maker.

I wouldn’t have said this when he left but I’m glad Reynolds is in we’ve been crying out for an organised since lacans went down hopefully Reynolds gets us over the line to kick start our season 

• Like 5

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

Reynolds' return now confirmed. 3 other DR included, plus the possible return of Bussey, Springer, Day and Roberts. Still no Tanner or Massey, and Hardcastle and Albert are out through injury.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/ford-names-21-man-squad-for-doncaster-rYhel/

Is Tanner becoming similar to the invisible man of a few years ago Ben mathiou 

51 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

I wouldn’t have said this when he left but I’m glad Reynolds is in

Even better news R we 've got Fishwick back instead of  Wallace

• Like 2

It's an interesting test for Fordy and the players this week. They have to respond to a poor performance last week and it looks like once again there are going to be a lot of changes to the 17 - we haven't had much option but to shuffle the team around from week to week because of injuries and suspensions but I don't think it has helped in terms of developing our playing style.

I didn't expect to see Reynolds back but at least he knows our systems and is of course a proven goalkicker.

At a guess the ones to miss out might be Farrar, one of Wacokecoke or Wynne, and then maybe Tomlinson and Roberts. That's assuming Springer's considered fit to play, though, which might not be certain.
Maybe something like:
Aekins, Wynne/Wacokecoke, Hall, Minikin, Gale, Reynolds, Turner, Springer, Jones, Kamano, Day, Bussey/England, Addy subs Bowes, Aydin, Fishwick, Bussey/England

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Aekins, Wynne/Wacokecoke, Hall, Minikin, Gale, Reynolds, Turner, Springer, Jones, Kamano, Day, Bussey/England, Addy subs Bowes, Aydin, Fishwick, Bussey/England

Looking at the 21  Wynne and Hall in any combo on one side and Jack B on the bench