Sun 14th Apr: CCQF: Castleford Tigers v Wigan Warriors KO 15:00

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/04/24 at 14:30

Liam Marshall gets his fourth. 6 - 46

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 - 54

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wigan hit 60.

3 hours ago, MZH said:

It was, but I've deleted it now we've brought Richie Myler on board, the only way is up now 😳

Lock up your wives.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Bin it 

That ain't going to happen so stop whinging about it.

You are trying to stop the earth turning.

My opinion (For what it's worth) no amount of tampering can make the CC top of the pops again.

It's had its day and better to put the grand old lady to rest rather than to continue to embarrass ourselves.

One major winner overall amongst the premier clubs and that's the SL grand final.

The fans vote with their feet and apart from the odd reasonable attendance the overall support for the CC is low.

RL needs to get over it and move on the days of the game being propped up by the revenues generated from the final + a fag company have long gone.

Time to move on 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

My opinion (For what it's worth) no amount of tampering can make the CC top of the pops again.

It's had its day and better to put the grand old lady to rest rather than to continue to embarrass ourselves.

One major winner overall amongst the premier clubs and that's the SL grand final.

The fans vote with their feet and apart from the odd reasonable attendance the overall support for the CC is low.

RL needs to get over it and move on the days of the game being propped up by the revenues generated from the final + a fag company have long gone.

Time to move on 

Maybe fans don't like the variety of finalists and winners that the Challenge Cup has brought us in the last decade or so. Maybe they preferred St Helens being GF winners again and again and again and again until Wigan had a turn in 2023.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

John Kear described Wigan's first half performance as a masterclass in how to play rugby league.

Sad to see Isa go down. He’s been a great servant for us and it would be a shame if this was the end of his playing career. They’re hard buggers these players! Lad just sat on the floor like he’s got a scratch, puffing on his Oxygen pen. 

As for the game, I didn’t take much pleasure in watching such a one sided affair. I know Cas have injury issues but it shouldn’t be that easy from minute one. There just wasn’t any urgency or physicality coming from Cas and today was do or die. I really hope Cas can start to build the club back up. Going in 2017 was borderline terrifying and it’s sad to see how far away they are from that now. We had a couple of pints in the town pre game and it’s rugby league mad. The fans deserve better than today. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2024 at 20:36, ATLANTISMAN said:

Time to move on 

Have to say, this doesn't make a lot os sense to me.

Yes, the Super League Grand Final has surpassed the Challenge Cup final as the premier event of the year - but that doesn't mean you remove an event, it means you have two.

There are plenty of loud voices inside Rugby League that Super League is too repetitive (loop fixtures), regular season games are not meaningful enough (and the League Leaders Sheild not relevant) and has not had enough winners (just 4 since the inception of the Grand Final).

The remedy to that is not to remove meaningful knock-out games and a competition which has delivered Hull FC, Catalan, Warrington and Leigh as winners in the last decade over and above the teams that have also won Super League.

Blowout games are a part of every sport - they are nothing to be embarrassed about or to make knee jerk reactions from.  The game between Warrington and St Helens was superb and a great advert for Rugby League, while the final last year was one of the most memorable occasions in British Rugby League for a long time.

Binning the Challenge Cup would be the biggest mistake the sport would ever make, luckily it is not going to happen.

Edit: add to the above the Community and lower league sides getting the chance to play against semi-pro and higher league sides in the cup - I am sure such games (even in losses) will be a much remembered and a highlight of a player's season.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 14/04/2024 at 20:36, ATLANTISMAN said:

Time to move on 

You should’ve said before

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Have to say, this doesn't make a lot os sense to me.

Yes, the Super League Grand Final has surpassed the Challenge Cup final as the premier event of the year - but that doesn't mean you remove an event, it means you have two.

There are plenty of loud voices inside Rugby League that Super League is too repetitive (loop fixtures), regular season games are not meaningful enough (and the League Leaders Sheild not relevant) and has not had enough winners (just 4 since the inception of the Grand Final).

The remedy to that is not to remove meaningful knock-out games and a competition which has delivered Hull FC, Catalan, Warrington and Leigh as winners in the last decade over and above the teams that have also won Super League.

Blowout games are a part of every sport - they are nothing to be embarrassed about or to make knee jerk reactions from.  The game between Warrington and St Helens was superb and a great advert for Rugby League, while the final last year was one of the most memorable occasions in British Rugby League for a long time.

Binning the Challenge Cup would be the biggest mistake the sport would ever make, luckily it is not going to happen.

My thoughts exactly. If anything is to be binned, it’s magic weekend. 

• Like 1